Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dharv
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So, the bottom left flipper sticks in the up position. It remains stuck after powering off.

Usually, to get it to release, I power off the machine, remove the glass, and manually flip it back to the down position. When doing this, there is a bit of resistance - the plunger is stuck in the solenoid and it doesn't want to let go.

The solenoid appears to be pretty new (bought the machine a month ago, solenoid looks like it is a year old).

I've spent some time searching old threads this morning and don't see a fix for what appears to be a mechanical problem. The fact that the issue persists after powering off indicates to this novice it isn't an electronic issue (fliptronic board, diodes, etc) but IDK.

What would the most likely cause be? Wondering where to start.

#2 6 years ago

Rebuild the flipper!

#3 6 years ago

New coil sleeve. Alignment, new spring.

#4 6 years ago

If the coil was locked on then the flipper would be stuck up. Coil would burn up, sleeve melt, and all that if left on long enough. That doesn't sound like the issue so you will need get under the playfield and inspect the parts. There is a spring that should return the flipper back to the down position. Take the coil off and insepct the sleeve as well as all parts. I'm still a bit of a novice at these sort of things but this stuff is pretty simple. I had a similar issue with my MET pro and just had to take things apart and clean a little. Parts are cheap if you need them.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys. I should have added - it looks like the flipper was rebuilt when the coil was replaced (about a year ago). The assembly is pretty shiny and new looking.

I do have a spare coil sleeve... Guess I'll disassemble the flipper assembly and see what it looks like. I tried lubricating everything yesterday and it didn't help.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Domina:

Thanks for the replies guys. I should have added - it looks like the flipper was rebuilt when the coil was replaced (about a year ago). The assembly is pretty shiny and new looking.
I do have a spare coil sleeve... Guess I'll disassemble the flipper assembly and see what it looks like. I tried lubricating everything yesterday and it didn't help.

Don't lubricate anything! Check for alignment, tighten things, but do not ever lubricate that mechanism

#7 6 years ago

Very common for the plunger and coil stop to both be worn down and allow the flipper too much travel. This allows the metal flange to hang up on the end of the End-of-Stroke switch blade.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Very common for the plunger and coil stop to both be worn down and allow the flipper too much travel. This allows the metal flange to hang up on the end of the End-of-Stroke switch blade.

This could be it. I noticed the newer coils are 11629s instead of the original 15411s. It's possible the extra kick is exacerbating the problem you mentioned. I'll check it out...

#9 6 years ago

Make sure you have at least 1/16" of up/down play between the flipper bat and flipper bushing. Not enough gap and you will have binding.

#10 6 years ago

A little follow up. Thanks to everyone for the ideas - these are all worth trying even if it hasn't fixed the issue.

Swapped out the coil sleeve. Adjusted the spacing between the flipper bat and bushing and checked alignment. The coil stop and plunger look brand new - clearly rebuilt recently. Same problem.

The pictures in Vids guide are super helpful BTW. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

I'm stumped. Ordering a flipper rebuild kit today to replace what is clearly a recently rebuilt flipper.

#11 6 years ago

Figured I'd get started disassembling the flipper in advance of receiving the rebuild kit.

Looks like I found the problem. http://i.imgur.com/hXiU5ro.jpg

The damage was concealed by the metal bracket holding this in place. The broken piece on the flipper link is plastic. Its likely the stronger coil mentioned above was strong enough to break it. Guess I'll keep a few spares. If it happens again, I suppose I'll replace the coil with the factory 15411.

Thanks again everyone. I'm posting this resolution in case it helps someone else down the road.

#12 6 years ago

Those plastic links break all the time regardless of which coil is used. The slingshot links are plastic and will break too. I keep spare links on hand if you don't mind driving out the roll pin with a drift. Otherwise keep link/plungers on hand for a quick change-out from the pawl.

#13 6 years ago

pinwiki.com would be a great place to start.

#14 6 years ago

The old wafer board type links are much better than plastic. I wish PBR made modern links out of that stuff.

1 week later
#15 6 years ago

Fuse?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 180.00
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-bottom-left-flipper-sticking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.