Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Priam
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 months ago

I have an intermittent issue on opto switch #2 on the bookcase. Sometimes when TAF starts up, it'll pass its test and work fabulously...but other times when TAF starts it'll fail opto #2 test and not work until a latter power cycle. It appears to be random whether it works or not when starting up the machine.

The other three optos work fine and haven't had any issues.

I've cleaned the plastics and the LEDs to make sure it's not interference. (took the bookcase apart and gave it a hell of a cleaning)

I'm looking for a best guess on this. Does it sound like an opto board problem, or the IR transmitter or receiver?

Thanks!

#2 6 months ago

Very easy to test the transmitter. With the game in switch edges test and the transmitters blocked, pass an incandescent flashlight over the receiver. If it blips good chance of bad transmitter. These components often have cracked solder that needs to be freshened up.

#3 6 months ago

I got this issues resolved. Because this was an intermittent problem I had to wait (not long) for it to act up, then went into the switch diagnostics. Using the flashlight method Cody suggested (small LED penlight) I was able to determine it was not the receiver. Then I removed the top cover of the bookcase to get to the transmitters. Sure enough, wiggling the transmitter LED in question got it to work...or not depending on which way I moved it. I thought this indicated a poor solder connection so I re-soldered it. No good there, it did the same thing. So I removed the transmitter LED and replaced it with a new one...works fine now. Apparently the issue was inside the LED transmitter.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside