(Topic ID: 184166)

TAF blowning right flipper fuse! Solved.

By arcademojo

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by arcademojo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
IMG_3363 (resized).JPG
IMG_3359 (resized).JPG
IMG_3358 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Ok this has been getting worse. When I got the game it would blow the right flipper fuse F102 every couple of months with playing a couple games daily, It's gotten to the point it blows the fuse every couple of game. Where should I start and what to look for?
Forgot about and to mention the game had the wrong size flipper coils when I got it. Since it was blowing the fuse I did a complete flipper rebuild and installed two new correct size coils. This didn't help.

#2 7 years ago

Bad coil. Bad diodes on coil.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Bad coil. Bad diodes on coil.

The game had the wrong size coils in it. So I did a flipper rebuild kit on both with new coils.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

The game had the wrong size coils in it. So I did a flipper rebuild kit on both with new coils.

Swap out the fliptronic board with the one from your Funhouse and see if the problem persists. That would at least narrow it to board issue vs wiring/coil/diode.

I keep a spare Rottendog Fliptronics board for testing/spare on my WPC games - can't beat it for $65.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Swap out the fliptronic board with the one from your Funhouse and see if the problem persists. That would at least narrow it to board issue vs wiring/coil/diode.
I keep a spare Rottendog Fliptronics board for testing/spare on my WPC games - can't beat it for $65.

Ditto the fliptronics board. Worth a try.
I had trouble with my original one. The Rottendog fixed my flipper issues.

#6 7 years ago

Also check your EOS switches. If they are bent, broken or not working correctly the fuses will keep blowing.

Better than blowing transistors on your flipper board!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Also check your EOS switches.

TAF is fliptronics. EOS normally open, won't blow fuses.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

So I did a flipper rebuild kit on both with new coils.

Was it blowing fuses before new coils ? If not, I'd go over your flipper coil wiring. If you made a mistake, then you may have hurt diode, coil, transistors involved.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Was it blowing fuses before new coils ? If not, I'd go over your flipper coil wiring. If you made a mistake, then you may have hurt diode, coil, transistors involved.

Game was blowing fuse before I did the flipper rebuild and installed both new coils/diodes. It has gotten worse over time.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Will try changing out Fliptronics board this week. Have league friends coming over Friday night so will be a good time to test game play.
I'm going to re-crimp the connectors also.

#11 7 years ago

One other question. Are the coil lugs facing the right way?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

One of those days!!!!!
Edge of glass hit the rear leg of my EBD!!!!!
Note to self: pickup glass at Pinfest and always make sure to have enough room to remove glass.

#13 7 years ago

Oh god, that sucks. At least most of it is on my floor and not inside the machine.

Marc

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Are the coil lugs facing the right way?

Yes. Diodes away from coil stop means less vibration and less diode breakage.

#15 7 years ago

BTW whats that purple wire on the RH coil, can you put up a better side on pic of the coil & lugs

looks like it hangs down & loops around to a GI socket, cant be sure ?

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

BTW whats that purple wire on the RH coil, can you put up a better side on pic of the coil & lugs
looks like it hangs down & loops around to a GI socket, cant be sure ?

skywalker The purple wire looks like an added wire that runs from the coil lug of the bottom right hand flipper to the lug of the top right flipper.

IMG_3358 (resized).JPGIMG_3358 (resized).JPG
IMG_3359 (resized).JPGIMG_3359 (resized).JPG

#17 7 years ago

1st of all the purple wire looks very odd, With a issue like this I'd like to start fresh, remove that wire, cant understand why's it there, maybe to cover up another issue ??
i prefer to remove any mods, those solder jobs on the lugs look pretty ugly, cut the wire back & start again, twist the end pre solder the wire & clean up the lug also & refit, check your EOS switch,gap,wiring, i cant see the eos switch on the RH side properly,

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

1st of all the purple wire looks very odd, With a issue like this I'd like to start fresh, remove that wire, cant understand why's it there, maybe to cover up another issue ??
i prefer to remove any mods, those solder jobs on the lugs look pretty ugly, cut the wire back & start again, twist the end pre solder the wire & clean up the lug also & refit, check your EOS switch,gap,wiring, i cant see the eos switch on the RH side properly,

Snipped off the purple wire that was added on. Now neither of the upper flippers work. So I'm guessing that was a patch for an issue with the upper playfield flippers. Where do I start with this issue?

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Where do I start with this issue?

Find the broken wire, connection, what ever on the blue wire with the yellow stripe. If that is the same color wire on both flippers.

#20 7 years ago

Just a note. Funhouse does not have a fliptronic board.

#21 7 years ago

Solved!!! I think.
Followed the blue/yellow wire for the top right flipper to the extra flipper power board. Checked continuity and was good.
Checked continuity of the THING flipper grey/yellow wire and it was also good. Noticed something funny looking about the two white/blue wires that run from the EX flip board to the driver board. You can easily see they are not pushed in. Pushed them in and now both upper flippers are working. No jumper wire and not blowing the fuse (yet) after 10 games. Glad I had the right tool and thanks for everyone that chimed in to help out.

IMG_3363 (resized).JPGIMG_3363 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-blowning-right-flipper-fuse-where-do-i-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.