Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dmklunk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Prior to doing a restore on my TAF, I could easily complete Bear Kicks from the right flipper. The ball would flow down the in lane onto the right flipper and a timely flip would send it straight up the Bear Kick ramp. Post restore.......not so much. In order to do it now, I have to catch/hold the ball on the right flipper and then release/immediately flip to even have a chance to make the shot. Ideas?

Anyone know which is more typical for this shot?

Thanks for any/all help.

#2 10 years ago

Did you change the coil stops in your restore? There are a couple to choose from and each creates a slightly different starting point for the flipper. I have difficultly making the bear kick ramp from my right flipper.

#3 10 years ago

The bear kick is designed for the left flipper. It should be a difficult shot from the right.

#4 10 years ago

I used the same coil stops (just cleaned them). It sounds like the game is playing correctly. Honestly, it is a lot more challenging now.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

#5 10 years ago

I can only make it from the right flipper off a rebound of some kind. I can't straight back-hand it. I wish I could, I'd be hitting the 99 bear kick cap every game! My TAF is an unrestored, full mylared, factory stock game.

#6 10 years ago

I hit the bear kick ramp from rolling lane ball from both left and right flippers. Usually 6 or 7 in a row. I like it!!!!!!

#7 10 years ago

If the angle of the flipper at rest changed that will affect the shot.

#8 10 years ago

Not a big deal either way. I was just hoping to find out what is common. Sounds like the bear kick shot is intended for the left flipper. Thanks to all for the insight.

#9 10 years ago

Before I restored my TAF I could hit the bear kick over and over and over. I would regularly get super bear kicks with scores averaging 1-2 billion. After the restore and taking time getting everything correct, i.e., flipper bats properly aligned, correct stops, etc. I could almost never make the bear kick ramp from a dead ball. Just post pass to the left and make the ramp. The game is too ramp dependent IMO so not making the ramp off the right makes it a better and more challenging game in the home environment.

#10 10 years ago

With a clean, waxed playfield at 6.5° to 7° and strong flippers with relatively fresh rubber, it should be possible to hit the ramp from the right. It should be difficult, but possible. It's too risky to be considered a good strategy, though. A post transfer from right to left is definitely the way to go.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremecium:

It's too risky to be considered a good strategy, though. A post transfer from right to left is definitely the way to go.

If I try and backhand the bear kick ramp, I can do it occasionally. It goes around about... eh... 40% of the time. But if it doesn't go around, it goes the whole way up to the microswitch up there, misses, and comes screaming back down and almost always drains somehow. Which I think is the idea behind the design -- as others have said, I think it should be difficult. And as Jeremecium mentioned above... Usually you're better off just doing a post transfer, make the shot from the left flipper, and then call it done.

Derek

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-bear-kick-observation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.