(Topic ID: 19053)

TAF ball gets stuck after Thing takes it..suggestions?

By NJGecko

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Taxman
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I just set my TAF up over the weekend and it's a blast! The only thing so far is that when Thing takes the ball, maybe one out of every two times the ball gets stuck and doesnt return properly. I almost wind up either having to come close to slam tilting the table or have had to pull up the playfield to get the ball loose, so it's REALLY stuck somewhere.

The machine is level and angled properly.

I figure I will plan to pull it apart and look, but was hoping someone could give me some pointers on what to look for...

#2 11 years ago

Make sure the ball is going from the metal box to the switch of the coil

Go into sw test

Drop a ball manually in to the thing box see if the sw for the coil works

#3 11 years ago

Look where the thing box mates with the subway, this may need tweaking. If the game was shopped before you bought it the two weldments by the swamp can be assembled wrong, if they are the ball will hang on the lip.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

This is the problem,Check that switch

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Go into sw test
Drop a ball manually in to the thing box see if the sw for the coil works

Quoted from tracelifter:

Look where the thing box mates with the subway, this may need tweaking. If the game was shopped before you bought it the two weldments by the swamp can be assembled wrong, if they are the ball will hang on the lip.

+2 --> If it's not the switch (because it does pop it back out sometimes) the alignment will make it act all funky and inconsistent.

It's a bitch because (at least for me) when the playfield is inverted, in the service position, it's hard to visualize the path that gravity must pull the ball, to get it to the vuk. Trial & error, my friend.

#6 11 years ago

we have this pin at my work and the operator was going mental due to this exact problem haha he would think its fixed then leave and get a phone call about a stuck ball on TAF within hours. its all good now but cant remember how he fixed it. my bet would be the switch though

#7 11 years ago

Raise the back leg levelers...
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#8 11 years ago

If there is a divot worn into the metal box from the ball dropping it will need to be pounded flat.

LTG

#9 11 years ago

Thanks! Pulled it open and watched and tested. Looks like the eject switch is bad. Dropped balls in and they didn't even leave to the subway. But went into diags and manually fired the ejector solenoid and it worked. Went into the switch tests and, as long as that is the thing ejector switch, it wasn't registering even when i manually operated it. So it's either the switch or wiring. Haven't had the time to troubleshoot yet but I know where the problem is now!

Thanks!

5 years later
#10 6 years ago

I know this is old but I had the same problem and it wasn't solved by any of the answers. Turns out my box that thing lives in and leads to the ball return was slightly loose causing the opening to not be exactly square with the return chute. I had to repair a screw hole and used Gorilla tape to tie the box to the chute support. No more stuck balls!

#11 6 years ago

Tape

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 180.00
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 159.00
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-ball-gets-stuck-after-thing-takes-itsuggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.