• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CousinIt
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi,
I think I have soldered my Addams Family to death: the game was perfectly working until a cable fell off of the coil of the upper left flipper. I have soldered it back on, and now ALL solenoids are dead.
After the power-on test, the system says I should check the connector F1 to the lower right flipper, connector F7 to the upper left flipper, and the thing ball eject. All those connectors seem to be ok.
When running the solenoid test, all of them are dead. Flashers and lights work.
I have checked the fuses on the power driver boards - they seem to be ok (though I have only removed F112 for the check and tested the others in place). However, the 50v test point on the board shows no current. The other test points (20v, 5v, 12v) read ok.
Does anybody have a hint what I could check next?
Thanks a lot for your help!

#2 7 years ago

Measure like this:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-fuse-blowing#post-2654023

..but also check traces to J104/J105.

With power 'ON' there should be 50Vac on J102 between pins (5+6) and (8+9)

#3 7 years ago

The 4 tests shown on the linked post all read values between 460 and 490, so BR3 should be ok.

How do I check traces to J104/J105? Btw, there is nothing plugged to J105 on my machine.

And what do you mean with "there should be 50Vac on J102 between pins (5+6) and (8+9)" - should all those pins give 50v when connected to ground, or should I really measure between 5+6 and 8+9 (and which one is which side in the test)?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but i have only very little electronic knowledge ...

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from CousinIt:

The 4 tests shown on the linked post all read values between 460 and 490, so BR3 should be ok.

Perfect, that's makes me think that the 50Vac from transformer doesn't reach J102.

with multimeter set to 'Vac' , machine 'ON' and J102 plugged in:
-one probe on J105-1
-other probe on J105-2 ( probe can be swapped as this is Vac)

#5 7 years ago

This reads 0.

#6 7 years ago

Can you inspect in the cabinet (below playfield) the Black-Yellow wires from transformer and the connector that connects the harness from transformer to backbox. Maybe a wire loose or burnt connector.

#7 7 years ago

I'm just throwing this out there. This is similar to an issue I had with a Bally Corvette. I'm really just taking a wild guess. I noticed that my coin door when shut was not pressing in the 12-volt kill switch the whole way. All I had to do is bend that little tab inward more and it restored all of the solenoids. I'm not saying this is your exact situation. You might want to check this regardless. Typically when I have a major issue it's a loose connection. Hopefully it's not a board or Transformer issues they're pricey. Anyways have a good day!

If none of this helps remove each fuse one-by-one and test them independently.

#8 7 years ago

The switch test says coin door is closed, so I suppose it is not related to that.

I have checked the black-yellow wires, and I do not see anything suspicious. How can I check the output of the transformer? There is a 10pin connector including the black-yellow wires - so I suppose I could somehow measure there, but I do not know how.

#9 7 years ago

Different ways to check.
Without power, you can measure resistance through the windings of transformer.
With power, you can put the probes of multimeter directly into the 10-pin connector of transformer and measure Voltage.

Be very careful because high voltages are here as well. When in doubt, don't work on the transformer.

#10 7 years ago

I have checked the output of the transformator: there is a 50vac between pins 7 and 10, as expected based on the power wiring diagram.

Now I have unplugged J102 again and checked the voltage between 5/6 and 8/9: it reads near 50v for 5-8 and 6-8, but it is 0 for 5-9 and 6-9 - which I do not understand at all because the wire coming from the transformer actually enters in 9, not 8.

#11 7 years ago

Those connectors are known for poor connections. Push the wire deeper inside the connector might help.
Seems like J102 (male and female) must be inspected.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Push the wire deeper inside the connector might help.

I did that (for Pin 9 of J102) and now everything works again. Thanks a lot for your help - I would never have figured out where to look for the problem on my own.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 1,059.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 1,159.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-all-solenoids-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.