(Topic ID: 61748)

TAF (Addams Family) - What's it worth in non-working state vs working

By openpinballproj

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I gotta friend who has a three Addams Family machines. None of them were working originally and here is the story.

First machine was in the best shape. Playfield has minor wear around the electric chair. When it was handed to me to fix it up, it didn't even boot. Took about two months, but a different friend and I completely shopped it and got it working 100%. (It probably had 20 years of dirt and grime on the playfield, but after tearing it down, cleaning and waxing it, the playfield looked great.) We gave the machine back, and it went out on route. Did the same thing on another two machines (not Addams family, but a POTC and HS2), and I ended up getting a non-working Taxi pinball machine for fixing up the machines. (My friend and I fixed the machines as a hobby.)

So now my friend has two other Addams Family machines. Both have scorched playfields from magnet burn. I don't know how bad the scorch marks are because I haven't cleaned the playfields. He sees what the original machine is making on route, and decides that the machines are worth more selling vs putting them out on route.

So he asks me if he should sell them in the non-working state, or give them to me and the other friend to fix them up and sell them. He is a straight up guy, so if he gives them to me, he wants to make sure that he is being fair to me.

So what is the value of a non-working Addams family machine. Looking at his other machines, I'm certain there won't be any battery damage on the boards, but there will be a lot of things that aren't working. These include a lot of mechanical things that aren't adjusted right/need cleaned, rubbers will be completely gone (these machines have probably been in storage for 10 years), and most of the connectors will have cracked solder joints which will need to be rewetted. There will be a couple of issues on the boards that will need a few chips or two replaced. Some of the ramps/plastics will have cracks. Some connectors will need work. The machines will have been on route, so there will be dings and scratches in the cabinet.

So if he gets my friend and I to fix up the machines, how much are the machines worth then? The machines will work 100%, but the cabinet will still have the scratches and dings.

How much are people paying to get a machine fully shopped? Do people pay to shop machines? If I would hand a reputable person a non-working machine, and said, make it work 100%, but don't fix any dings in the cabinet, how much would it cost me?

I'm trying to get info for the guy. Do I try and work out another deal to get another machine in trade? I'm not sure that he has any other machines that are low enough in value that I can do another swap with him.

Thanks in advance for any advice/knowledge/ideas.

#2 10 years ago

$2000 with magnet burn non working

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

$2000-$2500 with magnet burn non working. Depending on what playfield looks like when you are done. $3800-$4200 fully working and shopped.

#4 10 years ago

I WAS LOOKING FOR A PROJECT TAF

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. The machines are never going to look new because they have been on route. Nobody gave me a guess of how much it costs to get a "normal" company to do a refurbishment. (Not just a hobbyist like me, where I value my time at $0/hr). Has anybody paid to have a machine restored from a non-working status?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from openpinballproj:

Thanks for the responses. The machines are never going to look new because they have been on route. Nobody gave me a guess of how much it costs to get a "normal" company to do a refurbishment. (Not just a hobbyist like me, where I value my time at $0/hr). Has anybody paid to have a machine restored from a non-working status?

There are a handful of guys that do high end restoration ...but they charge around $4-5K just for labor. Doesn't sound like you want to invest that kind of money though.

#7 10 years ago

Completely uneducated guess, just my feedback as a buyer. I would value a 100 % working, but routed and fairly rough TAF around 4200.

Nonworking in the same condition, no acid damage, I would value closer to 3k.

#8 10 years ago

So I'm guessing for regular restoration, they charge 1 - 2K. When I look at how much time I put into a restoration, my friend and I put in around 8 hours each week total, and it takes us 2 to 3 months. So that is about 12 weeks for a machine that is in pretty bad shape. That gives me approximately 100 hours of labor to do a restore. (There are some machines that we spent well over 9 months to restore and a bunch in parts, and at the end, the machine is only worth $400 to $600. We did learn a lot which was the fun part and now I know that I don't want to paint match anymore.) Money-wise, it was a losing proposition, but I'm really proud of the before and after shots of that one. (Nothing better than planking, mouse damage, wear damage, moisture damage, etc). I looked at how much time we put into it, and parts, and it just didn't make sense to start doing restorations for people that weren't friends. Great hobby, bad business model.

Again, thanks for all the responses. When I talk to the guy a little bit later, I can give him a better idea.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 159.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,159.00
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 180.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-addams-family-whats-it-worth-in-non-working-state-vs-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.