Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TAF_-_Thing_switch.jpg
Screen_Shot_2013-08-06_at_7.51.31_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2013-08-04_at_11.11.59_AM..png
photo.JPG.jpeg
#1 10 years ago

So I picked up TAF, works well enough, save for that the kickout for the Thing hand/(skillshot) keeps going off randomly triggering the hand to try and grab a ball that isn't there and the coil that kicks the ball out keeps firing randomly. check the switch test menu, they all work fine, nothing stuck open. Look underneath and I see a resistor hacked between the connections for the micro switch for the kickout coil by the thing hand. Used alligator clips to take the resistor out of the loop and test and the game plays flawlessly... until you trigger the Thing hand ball grab, at which point the game Tilts. anyone run across this before? any ideas? I'll put some pics up later.

#2 10 years ago

Resistor - any chance you mean diode ?

Sounds like a wiring issue. Switch wired wrong, diode on backwards, type stuff.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

err yeah diode.... interestingly, reversing the connectors to the micro switch (putting the diode on the other side), results in it working fine for the first few minutes then once its warmed up, it resumes thinking the switch is being activated and keeps trying to kick out a ball that isn't there.

#4 10 years ago

Might have more than one problem out there.

Each switch should be wired the same. White wire black end of diode there, green wire there, silver banded end of diode there.

Start looking.

#5 10 years ago

So did some more checking. When the Thing Eject Hole Switch is hit and the diode is not present on the microswitch, it triggers that switch and the bumper lane opto (for thing flips shot). If I add the diode in between the switch going one direction it only triggers the bumper lane opto, the other direction it only triggers the thing eject sol. Still randomly fires during game play after it warms up. Tried a different microswitch too (using gator clips) and it does the same thing. Also randomly got a a checksum error on U15 of the sound board but it went away after a couple times of being restarted, don't think that's related.

#6 10 years ago

Messing with the switch matrix won't fix the issues. Diode on diode off no good Danielson.

Getting every switch wired right will.

#7 10 years ago

Seems like what is disrupting game play is when it locks a ball in the swamp scoop the plunger for the kickout hole keeps going off instead of the one to push the ball to the other side of the swamp scoops so that it can kick it back out onto the playfield.

#8 10 years ago

So far all the wiring has matched the diagram, only hack I've found was that diode added to the white thing eject switch.

#9 10 years ago

Just went through the switch test and confirmed they are all showing up as the right switch. Went through the diagrams and verified the wiring too.

#10 10 years ago

here is the switch that keeps firing randomly.

photo.JPG.jpegphoto.JPG.jpeg

#11 10 years ago

So... question, the diode on the cpu board is 1n4841, is the one on the switch suppose to be the same? the one on there is 1n4004 currently. My plan currently is to start from the switch and work back replacing things now that I've confirmed it's not a wiring issue.

Screen_Shot_2013-08-04_at_11.11.59_AM..pngScreen_Shot_2013-08-04_at_11.11.59_AM..png

#12 10 years ago

1n4004 is what's used on the driver board I believe..

#13 10 years ago

1N4001 is used on Williams switches.

1N4004 and 1N4007 will work fine too. ( these are used on coils and I use them on switches so I don't accidentally get a 1N4001 on a coil and blow stuff up ).

#14 10 years ago

Cool, then it's the right diode. I'll replace the diode and switch when the parts get in. Anything else you can think of?

#15 10 years ago

Some more info... So when the issue happens, if I jump straight to the switch test menu. Switch 87 is stuck on. pressing the switch doesn't change the state of it. If I leave the machine on and put it into service position, I can see right as it goes completely vertical the switch goes back to working correctly. After that pressing the switch makes it register correctly in the test menu until I fire up another game and get GREED lit up or land on the Thing grab too many times then the switch locks on again until it's in position. Makes troubleshooting it kinda difficult. How would you proceed?

#16 10 years ago

Find out why the game thinks #87 is on. Bad switch ? Short to wiring there or elsewhere ?

#17 10 years ago

when switch 16 (center ball trough) is pressed, 86 (GRAVE A) also fires with it. Switch 17 (right trough) also triggers Switch 87!! (thing hole eject). when you first turn the machine on, most of the time, SW16 and 17 work fine and don't trigger the additional switch. Once its warmed up a bit or you complete the GREED to activate the lock, they begin triggering the additional switches. At that point it thinks there is a ball in the holder for the thing glove so it keeps triggering sol to kick it out of the hole, or the hand if you just completed GREED.

I just replaced switch 87, the diode, and microswitch 17 + diode. same issue Thinking about rebuilding the driver board and under PF boards next, still haven't found a short anywhere. Any additional recommendations?

#18 10 years ago

Switch problems won't be on driver board.

I know you don't want to hear this. But from my first post.

"Sounds like a wiring issue. Switch wired wrong, diode on backwards, type stuff.".

Add to that a short to switch wiring somewhere.

When you hit one switch and another one fires, you have a classic switch matrix issue.

Can be tough to find. Always an easy fix.

#19 10 years ago

Does sound like a typical switch matrix issue, but why would it not do it all the time? Maybe something just barely touching something else?

#20 10 years ago

Is the problem switch soldered in the NC (normally closed) or NO (normally open) position? I wonder if that could be something to consider?

#21 10 years ago

@ steve could you elaborate on NC NO positions. It's wired as shown in the pic in above except its now a new switch that only has two pins instead of 3 (other than that it looks the same), the diode is floating (just soldered straight to the wire) and connects the white violet wires to the L shaped tab connector. The Green gray wire is wired to the other tab (middle tab on the old switch pictured).

@LTG & LOTR_b
The switch matrix is below, I'm about to begin going through it again, any recommendation on a process? start with the 16 & 17 switches and trace the wires verifying the color and order on the matrix? things to look for?

Screen_Shot_2013-08-06_at_7.51.31_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2013-08-06_at_7.51.31_PM.png

#22 10 years ago

Currently switch 16 triggers 86
switch 17 triggers 87

switch 87 thing eject hole (where the ball is held for the hand magnet to grab it). seems to fire randomly during gameplay, probably the result of switch 17s issue.
Issue typically occurs the first time lock is lit (GREED).

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from systemlcp:

The switch matrix is below, I'm about to begin going through it again, any recommendation on a process? start with the 16 & 17 switches and trace the wires verifying the color and order on the matrix? things to look for?

Myself I start by going over everything, looking for a wire in the wrong spot or diode on backwards. After you look at them for awhile the odd one usually stands out.

Then for a possible short I look over ramp switches first, things a ball could hit and squish the wiring/diode/lugs together.

Then I start going over every wire on the underside, along the edges of the playfield and then around the assemblies, looking for wires squished to metal or shorted to metal.

Also study the wiring under ramps to be sure no wires are squished together where the ramps fasten down.

#24 10 years ago

Be sure you're looking at the switch matrix diagram, the pic you posted is for the lamp matrix.

#25 10 years ago

Here's a pic of mine for reference. (switch 87 "thing eject hole". Green-Grey column, White-Violet row. Diode attached to white-violet with band facing the normally open switch wiring lead.

I guess i missed some sawdust when I was cleaning up after a playfield repair. woops!

TAF_-_Thing_switch.jpgTAF_-_Thing_switch.jpg

#26 10 years ago

Found it... so, some additional details, This TAF is running Gold roms and the previous owner added the extra ball button and patched the cables in on the same switch as the tilt works fine, until the diode that was just wrapped around the terminals goes out and every switch above plumb bob tilt also has a path to the other column, was hard to see because two of the switches affected were the Thing Opto's, one of which is normally on (opposite, when hand is out). Thanks, for the help guys, in the end, learning up on switch matrix theory was the answer, pinballrehab.com had a good youtube vid and article.

1 week later
#27 10 years ago

To clarify, removing the diode on the extra ball button resolved the issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 29.95
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-addams-family-thing-kickout-tilt-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.