Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by tomdotcom
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Since Im still new to this (just got The Addams Family abouy a month ago) I was wondering has anyone replaced the bulbs in this machine to LEDs. If so what brand/company did you order from? I bought a couple but getting some terrible flickering/ghosting on the machine.

#2 12 years ago

cointaker led super brite kit. IMO

#3 12 years ago

Cointaker has quality LED's, but don't buy the kits. They put to many white lights in them(especially the BG). Your better off customizing the color scheme yourself.

#4 12 years ago

I would say the opposite. Since your new to this I would buy a kit. IT helps to have the kit first then customize if you so choose. I don't mind their kits and it is a good lesson to do a couple kits.

#5 12 years ago

Naturally I agree with all 3 answers, but I am a pacifist. Seriously though, Cointaker sells great light kits, and for a first a machine having some of the thought process taken out makes it less intimidating. After that, with your new found experience, you can either make adjustments as you see fit or take the helm for your next machine.

Good luck...and uh, that's quite a nice title to "start" a collection....

#6 12 years ago

I started with a Cointaker kit for my first (and only) machine, a DE SW. I'm very glad I did. After a few weeks, I made a few custom choices to the tune of another $15 or so. I highly recommend the Cointaker kit, especially if you are new to this disease we have all contracted.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I would say the opposite. Since your new to this I would buy a kit. IT helps to have the kit first then customize if you so choose. I don't mind their kits and it is a good lesson to do a couple kits.

+1 great advice Coasterguy. I also did a kit for my DE SW and I probably would have been lost without it lol. Do the kit customize later.

#8 12 years ago

Oh come on guys!!! It's not rocket science. Match the style LED to the lamp your replacing and select your color accordingly. The only way I would recommend the kit is if your horrible with color coordinating your game. Besides since he's a new guy, trial and error is part of the fun. Since I'm in the minority on this topic maybe just do the kit, and then do it to your taste later.

Goodluck!!!

#9 12 years ago

You know what scares me is that everyone is right about this hobby. I am already thinking of getting another one..

#10 12 years ago

I would find a machine local to you with LEDs installed before you buy them. Some people don't like the look of them, and you lose some of the original dimming effects.

I personally don't like them at all.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from dkellar23:

I bought a couple but getting some terrible flickering/ghosting on the machine.

LOL!!! A lot of great LED advise but nobody noticed his concern. To funny.

I love the cointaker lights and his service on top of that. Right now he doesn't offer a lamp that prevents the ghosting though. I've heard it's in the works. For the problem you described you need the ghost buster LED's from pinball life. I've never bought them before so can't compare them to the CT's when lit but they should prevent the ghosting that is bothering you.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2166&parent=192

I'm not a kit guy either. But that was part of the fun in building it. Down side was I spent about $50 more of lights than I needed. I've got a lot of spares or a head start for the next pin though.

#12 12 years ago

I use cointaker and ablase from pinball life. I usually use the warm minis as I prefer the look of an incandescent bulb. I found in my Addams Family the playfield ghosted so bad I pulled them out though. I do use them in all my backboxes and in some GI applications on my games. I also don't buy the kits.

#13 12 years ago

I tried some in my old TAF, and also promptly pulled them out as they ghosted very badly.

I like LED's but they have alot of pros and cons, so I only use them sparingly.

I'm actually sick of talking/reading about them..so I will stop there...haha

#14 12 years ago

I put a few in my TAF as a test and the inserts ghost so won't be LEDing them. At least not until CT comes out with his version of ghostbusters.
I always put LEDs in the backbox as the WPC GI wiring/connector is not really up to the task for normal 555s. I like superbrites here.
I only put LEDs in the GI lamps which I can see directly when playing. I put frosted there to save my retinas.
I usually don't do flashers unless I feel it really needs it in a location.
My 2 cents.

#15 12 years ago

Ghosting is fixable via patched ROM.

#16 12 years ago

Yep I have patched roms in my Shadow, Fishtales, and BSD

But I only use a few LED's here and there, not full conversions. I do convert the backboxes completely to LED though...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.