• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160311_090359_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160311_090344_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160311_090335_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CookyJar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Having a startup issue with my T3. Setup the machine and everything seemed to work right, went into the menus to adjust some of the options. I can scroll in and out of the menus, but cannot change any of the adjustment values for some reason. So my quick fix idea is to pull the batteries and reset the system, bad idea. Now when I go to startup the machine it tries to boot, then goes to "open door". I open the coin door and attempt to go into the menus, but none of the buttons work. So right now it's stuck in the "open door" and I can't get anywhere with it. Has anyone ever experienced this problem, or know what could be causing it?

#3 8 years ago

Looked clean, didn't see any damage. Here's some pics of the battery area.

IMG_20160311_090335_(resized).jpgIMG_20160311_090335_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160311_090344_(resized).jpgIMG_20160311_090344_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160311_090359_(resized).jpgIMG_20160311_090359_(resized).jpg

#6 8 years ago

Thanks. Will try re seating the ribbon cables and see how it goes.

#8 8 years ago

I tried reseating the connectors and checking the ribbon cables with no luck. Didn't have time to check the resistor measurements as the pin is at work and I ran out of time today. Also, I'm not sure exactly how to measure the resistors.

Can't add coins as the game will not even boot. It's just odd that it worked with the exception of not being able to change the settings, then after just pulling the batteries it wouldn't boot. Could it be a bad ROM? Will have to continue to check on Monday. Any other thoughts are welcome.

#9 8 years ago

Will try reseating the ROM too

#10 8 years ago

Ok, so I checked the board for acid damage, nothing. I re-seated all the connectors and socketed chips and nothing, the game still won't boot and will display "Open door", which does nothing when opened. Looked through all the connectors under the playfield and just a general look through, the only minor thing I came across was a loose wire to the backbox fuse holder. Also, one of the playfield G.I. fuses keeps blowing, F27 I believe.

Other then checking the resistors (which I'm not sure how to do) as recommended by PinballManiac, I'm not sure what else to do. Any ideas?

#15 8 years ago

The resistors seem to have the same value. Pulled the board and tested the battery voltage on the board and I'm getting the correct voltage. Resseated the connectors to the left of the battery pack, no luck. Once I open the coin door, i can't get into the menu, which may be related to my not being able to change the adjustments earlier.

Also, all of the GI fuses have 8amp fuses instead of 5amp. And the F27 GI fuse keeps burning up as soon as I put a 5amp in and power up

#16 8 years ago

Figured out one problem, the memory protect switch on the coin door was stuck. So even when I opened the door it still thought it was closed and wouldn't reset and boot up. So now I have a booting working game! Nice simple solution after pulling the board, checking/reseating connectors, etc.

However, still haven't figured out the other problem. One of the G.I. fuses (F27) keeps popping immediately on game boot. Not sure when the problem originated, as I just picked up the machine. I did have it shopped and LED'd before pickup. Any ideas on where I should start looking for the source of the problem?

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from surfsled:

I would look at every GI lamp and look for a short: ie. solder splash or wires touching in places they shouldn't be touching.

Doing that now, didn't realize that the pop bumpers are on the same GI wiring. Never noticed that on Williams games.

#19 8 years ago

Figured it out! Traced through the G.I. line and found a bad socket. The bottom had fallen off and was touching the other connection which caused it to short and blow the fuse.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You may want to go and upgrade to NVRAM. That MPU is not easy to find if it gets damaged to the point it is not economical to repair.

Haven't tried NVRAM, but I've been wanting to. Actually going to put this T3 on location and see how it does.

#29 8 years ago

Very cool. Thinking of picking up two since I also have a LOTR. I don't care about resetting everything on the T3, but is there any way to replace with NVRAM with out loosing the current memory? Like when you replace the batteries with the machine on so everything won't be lost?

#32 8 years ago

Looks like you need 4.
Taxi has a System 11B board which are very hard to find original boards for. Get this one taken care of before your WPC games is what I do suggest. The old RAM will have to be cut off or carefully desoldered and install an IC socket.

Yikes, looks like I haven't updated my collection on Pinside in a while! I sold my Taxi to get a Whirlwind, then I traded my Whirlwind and Rollergames for a Twilight Zone and I just recently traded my TZ for the T3.

No sorry. No chance of saving the setting or scores. You do not want to plug this in with power on. Removing the old RAM off the board will be the same as removing the batteries=memory loss.

Oh, well I figure that wasn't possible but wanted to double check anyway. Thanks!

3 weeks later
#34 8 years ago

Any luck with installing NVRAM ?
Hope you got your Stern games done at least.

Decided to wait till Allentown and see if I can pick it up then. If not then I'll buy online.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 45.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CookyJar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t3-startup-issue?tu=CookyJar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.