Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f793103948f2df7926b934e5f8c22c3639e85734 (resized).jpg
20200713_013712 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Name of game, manufacturer and year: Terminator 3, Stern, 2003

Did it ever work in your Possession?: Yes

Did You Run the Diagnostics?: Yes, although I am not sure what I am doing.

Where did the game come from?: Alberta

Have needed MODS been done?: no

Are any aftermarket boards installed?: Not that I am aware of

What was the last service you performed?: Coil repair on backbox canon

Battery Corrosion: not sure

LED or Incandescent lighting?: LED

Blown fuses: no

Smell: no

Obvious Past Work Performed: not sure

Do you have a Volt Meter?: yes

Can you solder?: yes

Hi there,
Sorry but I am brand new to the hobby and looking to troubelshoot and fix some issues I am having. I got this game few weeks ago and it seems to me (inexperienced) to be in good shape and works well most of the time.
A few nights ago after much playing with no problems, the game started shooting balls after multi-ball mode was activated forever and ever, jackpot after jackpot. Even if we let all the balls do down, they would just keep shooting up.
I have done some research and saw someone else with almost the same issue on a different game and the issue was cased by the through switches. In his case, one of the pins had broken off entirely and the fix was obvious. In my case nothing looks broken and my diagnostics, seems to register when I move balls on and off the switches.

The second and more rare (related maybe) issue I am having, is sometimes after a ball goes down, the game never shoots the next ball over to the launcher and the game loses another turn. In other words, after ball 1 is done, it just also downs ball 2 and starts you on ball 3 but ball 2 never even entered the playing area.

Anyway, sorry if this is a bit confusing but I wanted to get some advice before I start ordering new switches which may end up being a waste of my time.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated as I expect I will have more issues down the line and I want to communicate as effectively as possible on these forums.

My picture of the switches are attached.

20200713_013712 (resized).jpg20200713_013712 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

For a start. I'd remove the small opto boards on each side on the end of the ball trough. Then reflow the solder on the optos and the pins the connector plugs onto.

Reassemble. See if that fixes it.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

For a start. I'd remove the small opto boards on each side on the end of the ball trough. Then reflow the solder on the optos and the pins the connector plugs onto.
Reassemble. See if that fixes it.

Thank you for replying. Just to make sure I understand what an opto board is, you are referring to the two outside switches that the balls roll over when entering the chamber? If yes, I will remove them both and redo the soldering. Should I reflow the resistors solder at the same time? They seem to attach from pin1 to pin3 on each opto board.
Since the issue is intermittent, would it make sense to replace anything while I'm doing this or just reflow and then test test test?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from twigggs:

Just to make sure I understand what an opto board is,

See picture. Red arrows point to green circuit board. That is an opto board.

Quoted from twigggs:

Should I reflow the resistors solder at the same time?

No.

Quoted from twigggs:

would it make sense to replace anything while I'm doing this

No. You could reflow the solder or suck off the old solder and flow on all new.

Or get new boards.

https://www.pinballlife.com/opto-transmitter-and-receiver-board-set-for-data-eastsegastern.html

f793103948f2df7926b934e5f8c22c3639e85734 (resized).jpgf793103948f2df7926b934e5f8c22c3639e85734 (resized).jpg
#5 3 years ago

That's awesome, I'm very glad I asked. For this price, I will look for a Canadian store that I could order these boards from and just replace. I really appreciate your advice and I will report back afterwards.

3 weeks later
#6 3 years ago

While I wait for my parts, I wanted to document some more about this issue for anyone else who may have the same kind of problem.

1. The issue seems to only occur after the table has been on and played for a few hours. After the issue starts to occur, it happens all the time.

2. The game seems to NOT be in multiball mode since it allows me to play and earn towards a multiball bonus.
3. Multiball is only supposed to shoot 3 balls into the play field, but when this issue occurs, all 4 balls go into play continuously. Even if I don't do anything and allow all the balls to drain, the game keeps shooting them out indefinitely and I have to turn the machine off.
4. Even after turning the machine off then back on, the problem will still occur. I need to let the machine "cool down" before it will work properly again.

Once my new opto boards get here and I replace them, I will post back the results.
Thank you

3 months later
#7 3 years ago

So to update. The optoboards arrived a while ago and I have installed them. Need to give this a good test run to see if they made any difference. I'll keep the thread updated.

#8 3 years ago

Worked the machine last night for about 5 hours and the issue did NOT reoccur yet. Going to give it another go on Saturday before thinking it's fixed.

1 week later
#9 3 years ago

Ran the table for over 7 hours last night and no issues. I'm thinking the issue is now solved. Not only did the table NOT spit out balls forever in multiball mode, but it never skipped a ball on anyone (meaning going from ball1 to ball3 as if ball2 was drained).

Before I close this thread, is anyone able to explain to me logically, how replacing the opto boards fixed this issue? I would like to have an understansing so I can learn and use the knowledge for the next problem I encounter.

Thank you!

#10 3 years ago

After game is on for a while one of the Optos is failing meaning either the sender or receiver is going bad. You then get no ball reading or intermittent reading thinking a ball has drained when it did not. The boards one or both were the problem for you, both boards can just replace the optos and be kept as backups but will not be needed for years since you put new boards in place.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from twigggs:

Ran the table for over 7 hours last night and no issues. I'm thinking the issue is now solved. Not only did the table NOT spit out balls forever in multiball mode, but it never skipped a ball on anyone (meaning going from ball1 to ball3 as if ball2 was drained).
Before I close this thread, is anyone able to explain to me logically, how replacing the opto boards fixed this issue? I would like to have an understansing so I can learn and use the knowledge for the next problem I encounter.
Thank you!

Those are the "jam" optos that are there to tell the game a ball did not get ejected all the way out to the shooter lane and is "jammed" between ball one in the trough and the shooter lane. My buddy's T3 did EXACTLY the same thing as yours when it got hot from being played for a while and in the switch tests at that time the jam opto showed closed all the time.

#12 3 years ago

Actually, one opto (top) is the jam opto, the other (bottom) is trough switch #1.

#13 3 years ago

This is all great info. Thank you all for your help and input.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 45.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t3-infinite-multi-ball-jackpot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.