You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Just picked this up. Power on looks like most the LEDS on the driver board are lit except no 5v led. No display, no lights. I checked F113 with DMM tone and it is good. Any troubleshooting steps to start?

thx

#2 5 years ago

Measure the AC voltage between pins 1+2 of J101. If you've got voltage there, then there's a problem in the rectifier or regulator, otherwise you've got a connector or transformer issue

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Measure the AC voltage between pins 1+2 of J101. If you've got voltage there, then there's a problem in the rectifier or regulator, otherwise you've got a connector or transformer issue

looks like about 1v ac on those 2 pins

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

looks like about 1v ac on those 2 pins

Should be more than that... I'd trace those wires back down and see if there's any breaks or other connectors involved

#5 5 years ago

Follow these connections back to the transformer...red wires as show:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Follow these connections back to the transformer...red wires as shown:

thx pin guy....I get 1v a/c at the connector on J101 pins 1 and 2. I see the cube molex with red wires. I reseated a couple times...guess I could try and get my leads in there on red wires to try and see if I get 9v?

No idea what could go wrong in there. I have never had to look at the transformer

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

No idea what could go wrong in there. I have never had to look at the transformer

Me either, my best guess is it's a connection issue. Just make sure your meter is on AC volts and check the red wires for ~9VAC

FYI...if you suspect the small HV interlock cable as being problematic, you can always connect the connectors labeled as A and D in the picture above together, this will remove the interlock cable (if equipped) from the equations...on the downside, this also bypasses your coin door safety interlocks.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Me either, my best guess is it's a connection issue. Just make sure your meter is on AC volts and check the red wires for ~9VAC
FYI...if you suspect the small HV interlock cable as being problematic, you can always connect the connectors labeled as A and D in the picture above together, this will remove the interlock cable (if equipped) from the equations...on the downside, this also bypasses your coin door safety interlocks.

not sure what you mean by connecting a and d....your not saying unhook and put and and d together?....figured they would not even seat. I doubt its interlock

#9 5 years ago

ok. i actually removed conn at j 101 and leads in female end of 1 and 2. 9.9v a/c.

so now i move to the board to check. any ideas ?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

not sure what you mean by connecting a and d....your not saying unhook and put and and d together?....figured they would not even seat. I doubt its interlock

I am, in the picture of the transformer, connectors A and D should fit together perfectly. The cable with the B and C markings is the coin door interlock cable that breaks connection to the transformer secondaries used to generate you +20V DC and +50V DC on the power driver board. This interlock cable was added as a safety device to eliminate playfield high voltage when the coin door is open, it is not required for the functionality of the game.

I'm 100% sure it's not the interlock, the above procedure does nothing but remove 2 connection points from the equation.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

ok. i actually removed conn at j 101 and leads in female end of 1 and 2. 9.9v a/c.

so now i move to the board to check. any ideas ?

Your problem is on the PDB. Most likely failure is F113, BR2 (+5V rectifier), or Q1 (+5v regulator) ... in that order. You need to measure your DC voltage at the output of BR2 or input of Q1 (yellow path). Unfortunately, I have no pictures of your point-of-test for this measurement.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#12 5 years ago

i know it’s a shot gun approach. but can i just replace those components ?

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

i know it’s a shot gun approach. but can i just replace those components ?

Its your machine, you can do whatever you want

Before I did any board work, I would pull out out F113 and verify it with a meter...just to be sure.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Its your machine, you can do whatever you want
Before I did any board work, I would pull out out F113 and verify it with a meter...just to be sure.

I did pull out and tone....yeah..Ill reflow fuse holder and the j101 pins too first

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Follow these connections back to the transformer...red wires as show:

Awesome pair of pictures Pin_Guy

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Awesome pair of pictures pin_guy

yep. great detail. very helpful!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 9.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-wont-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.