Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wpc-89_cpu.jpg
IMG_0104 (resized).JPG
IMG_0105 (resized).JPG
IMG_0103 (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

I was going to take a look at my audits on T2 and found that it won't go into diagnostics. T2 is in my home arcade and is in fantastic shape. So, I did a little research before posting here.
Every playfield switch works throughout the game. I verified that the diagnostic hardware switch itself is good. I verified continuity from that switch all the way up to the CPU board J205-9.
So, I'm thinking something is whonky on the cpu. I've reseated all the connectors and ribbon cables but still can't get into diagnostics.
The cpu looks minty (not) fresh. I've had offboard batteries installed (and regularly replaced) since I have had the pin (2013).
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Enaud

#2 1 year ago

Break could be on the ground side. Remove J205, power up and carefully use a jumper between J205 pins 9 and 10 (ground). If it works, goes into diags, break is likely in ground wire downstream of CPU board or coin door board issue (unlikely). If it doesn't work, likely CPU board issue.

#3 1 year ago

Couple things. A wire could have broken off a solder tab of one of the buttons on the coin door. Also, opening and closing the coin door for 30 years can break a wire inside the wire bundle. All the coin door functions pass through the coin door board inside the cabinet on the left side. Try reseating the large connector on the left and right side of the board. If I remember right, the coin door buttons are not part of the switch matrix.

#4 1 year ago

Post a pic your cpu...

#5 1 year ago

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I verified that the ground is good to the CPU. I manually shorted pin 10 to pin 6,7,8,9. Only pin 9 didn't work.
So, looks like I need to address the CPU. Fortunately, only not being able to go into diagnostics is I guess the lesser of problems to have.
I hate to take the CPU out (disconnecting the offboard battery) because I'd lose my free play setting.

Enaud

IMG_0103 (resized).JPGIMG_0103 (resized).JPGIMG_0104 (resized).JPGIMG_0104 (resized).JPGIMG_0105 (resized).JPGIMG_0105 (resized).JPG
#6 1 year ago

Coin mech switch off/broken?

#7 1 year ago

You have extensive light and localized heavier alkaline corrosion. It's the green/blue crud.

wpc-89_cpu.jpgwpc-89_cpu.jpg

This will interfere with switch state detection logic.

#8 1 year ago

You are correct, sir. Thanks for taking a look. Would your board work? Might be interested in getting it.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Enaud:

The cpu looks minty fresh.

That CPU doesn't look minty fresh, although it may taste that way.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from gutz:

Post a pic your cpu...

Every time 'wpc switches aren't working' gets posted, its corrosion I swear. Even if a remote battery holder was installed doesn't mean the previous batteries did not leak. The only thing mint about the cpu, is the mint green corrosion

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Enaud:

Would your board work? Might be interested in getting it.

Yes. I have a reproduction board that works in a T2. It is WPC-89 (standard).

If you want a fancy one, you can place a bid on the purple one at the Project Pinball auction @ https://projectpinball.rallyup.com/pinballexpo-2022-projectpinball-silentauction/Campaign/Details. Current bid (as of post writing) is $95.

Otherwise, please contact via PM for more details.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from gutz:

Every time 'wpc switches aren't working' gets posted, its corrosion I swear.

Sometimes it's not corrosion and they crossed some wires under the playfield instead, blowing out U20. U20 is for switch matrix, this problem was a dedicated switch. Always keep a spare U20 in your toolbox if you work on WPC games regularly. Note that U20 is socketed on this board. And if that fixes the game, tell the owner to stop crossing wires (or disable high power) when they're changing light bulbs.

#13 1 year ago

I spoke to my buddy Rick yesterday. He's going to take care of the repair for me. Thanks everyone for your help!

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Enaud:

I spoke to my buddy Rick yesterday. He's going to take care of the repair for me

Your friend will need to neutralize the alkaline before it causes any severe damage but I'm sure he knows that. You probably just have some bad connections on those chips at the moment.

I had a similar issue with a newly acquired T2 where it would randomly reset even though it had 5.02v on the CPU board, new connectors, 5v section rebuilt, pins cleaned, everything in pinwiki WPC 5v reset troubleshooting followed, etc. Turns out it was corrosion at the ASIC chip/socket causing the reset. I too had light corrosion on the lower half of the board, like yours. I had a few odd switch issues too.

I pulled the board and pulled all the chips including the ASIC chip. Don't try to pull that chip without a real ASIC chip puller - but you can get one cheap on Amazon. Then the entire board was cleaned and alkaline neutralized with vinegar and a brush. Then all were rinsed with water, blown out, and then cleaned with an alcohol flush to displace any remaining water. Set it all aside for a few days to completely dry. New ribbon cables were also bought and all reassembled.

It's been rock solid since. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 21.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.50
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-will-not-go-into-diagnostics?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.