(Topic ID: 46083)

T2 - Was fine. Now won't power on. Reimport?

By Rascal_H

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Rascal_H
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

T2GI.jpg
wires.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Bought a T2 the other day for $700. Shopping in out and just threw a bunch of LED in. Was powering up fine, but now nothing.

Just noticed a sticker inside that says "Vorsicth 220 volts". A reimport? Suppose that has something to do with it.

Did I blow it up? Is there something I should try? I already tried replacing the 4am SB fuse.

Thanks! Hope I didn't screw this up too bad.

#2 11 years ago

Open the backbox. Any leds on the boards lit up?

If properly converted, an export game is electronically identical to a domestic.

#3 11 years ago

The led on the power driver come on. I can hear the speaker try to fire up

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Just noticed a sticker inside that says "Vorsicth 220 volts". A reimport? Suppose that has something to do with it.

Did I blow it up? Is there something I should try? I already tried replacing the 4am SB fuse.

A 4A slow blow fuse is correct for 220 volts. If the game is properly wired for 120 volts, use a 8A fast blow fuse. Happens a lot with reimports. Game gets rewired, but fuse doesn't get upgraded. Game often works fine with the 4A slo blo.

#5 11 years ago

On my way to get fuses now. Thanks

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

On my way to get fuses now. Thanks

No guarantee that will fix your problem, but that's where I would start.

#7 11 years ago

They have 7.5 amp fast .. Hope that's good enough

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

They have 7.5 amp fast .. Hope that's good enough

It is.
--
Chris Hibler

#9 11 years ago

Hmm, new power strip and new fuse. Still same issue. :/

#10 11 years ago

If you had any lights on at all when you opened the head, then it wasn't the main fuse.

Best bet is to see which LEDs are lit on both the power driver and CPU boards. Then you can figure out what's dead.

Or you can start checking fuses on the power driver board. Chances are one of them blew.

#11 11 years ago

Yeah, just talked to a friend of mine. I was dumb. LED is on driver board but not CPU. Probably nothing going to it. Gotta look harder at fuses.

#12 11 years ago

Demolition Man power driver made it fire up. All the fuses beep with continuity. Checking amperage on each now.

#13 11 years ago

Ok, so I checked all the fuses for continuity and they were fine. Put the T2 board back in. And now for some reason it just works again. Beats me. Maybe just reseating all the connectors or fuses fixed something. So strange.

Only issue now is I have two connectors and I don't know where they go.

One has a yellow wire and and an orange wire. It has only two holes.. looks like more were cut off.

The other has what looks like a new connector, it has only two wires as well. White with red stripe in pin 1, and white with brown or violet stripe in pin 4.

Usually I can figure it out... but these look like homemade jobs.

Anyone have any ideas?

wires.jpgwires.jpg

#14 11 years ago

Look in the back pages of the manual. It will tell you which power board connectors are used and unused. Also the connectors are all keyed so you can't hook them up wrong except the small one can probably fit in a couple places. The manual can be downloaded from ipdb.org

#15 11 years ago

Likely GI, but the colors are off somewhat.
J118 and J120 should be populated.
--
Chris Hibler

#16 11 years ago

The red into j120 looks wrong. The wires wouldn't be grouped to the far side of the connector. I would not plug that in there. And I agree j118 should be populated but the wire colors are wrong for that. I would be cautious plugging something into the 12v worth out being sure there also.

#17 11 years ago

I still have a lot of stuff off the playfield but the lights look fine when I power up.

#18 11 years ago

Sell it to me for $800. Quick hundo in your pocket!

#19 11 years ago

The pertinent part of the manual...
T2GI.jpgT2GI.jpg

That red striped wire has no business being there, unless someone spliced it onto the original wire, or unless it's actually orange.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Sell it to me for $800. Quick hundo in your pocket!

Hah, I was already offered $1000.

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

The pertinent part of the manual...

That red striped wire has no business being there, unless someone spliced it onto the original wire, or unless it's actually orange.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

It might be orange. Would that belong there?

#21 11 years ago

That looks like J120 for the backbox insert. The T2 manual is wrong, documented that long long ago

Trace the wires out - do they go to the lamp insert panel in the backbox?

If so, it should be wired up like this:

J120-1 - Brown
J120-2 - Orange
J120-7 - White with Brown Stripe
J120-8 - White with Orange Stripe

Now, my T2 has the backbox insert wired up with GI on the Green and Brown strings - no orange - but mine is a sample game, so it could be different.

If it's green, it connects to J120-5 (solid) and J120-10 (white w/green stripe).

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

That looks like J120 for the backbox insert. The T2 manual is wrong, documented that long long ago
Trace the wires out - do they go to the lamp insert panel in the backbox?
If so, it should be wired up like this:
J120-1 - Brown
J120-2 - Orange
J120-7 - White with Brown Stripe
J120-8 - White with Orange Stripe
Now, my T2 has the backbox insert wired up with GI on the Green and Brown strings - no orange - but mine is a sample game, so it could be different.
If it's green, it connects to J120-5 (solid) and J120-10 (white w/green stripe).

Yes, traced and they do go to the lamps on the backbox! Was so busy looking for problems on the playfield I didn't even notice there was no lights in the backbox.

So, these both go to J120? Does J120-1 mean pin one on J120? I shouldn't be asking so many newbie questions. Just have never really had to deal with wiring and I'm definitely not an electronics wiz.

Thanks!

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

So, these both go to J120? Does J120-1 mean pin one on J120?

Yes

Quoted from Rascal_H:

and I'm definitely not an electronics wiz.

Well, get crackin' Start here:
http://level42.ca/files/PinRepair/System%20WPC/WPC%20part1/index1.htm

#24 11 years ago

Hah, I do need to start studying more! I can shop out a game just fine and usually I take some pics when pull cables just in case things like this happen.

But, armed with the information provided by you guys I got brave and took an educated guess. It works! Backbox GI restored! Everything seems to be working.

Now to finish getting these ramps back on and I should be good to go!

Thanks everyone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 21.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-was-fine-now-wont-power-on-reimport and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.