Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

460107.jpg
IMG_6132.jpg

#1 3 years ago

In Switch test mode (and these errors are occuring during play as well)... ONLY WHEN THE DROP TARGET AND RIGHT TROUGH SWITCHES ARE CLOSED... any remaining Column 1 switch closed manually also closes the Column 7 switch within the same row. This is true for every switch down the column.

ie. closing the outhole switch (18) shows both the outhole (18) and shooter switches (78) closed
closing the center trough switch (16) shows both the center trough and the ball popper switch (76) closed

This is true on up the column, while both the right trough and drop target switches are closed.

Diode? Transister? This one is weird and apparently causing a lot of problems. I'm not super smart on circuit boards etc, but if you have ideas of where to start, please let me know. I have looked the diodes over, they are installed correctly.

IMG_6132.jpg

#2 3 years ago

Got to Pinball rehab.com He has a great tutorial on switch matix problems. Joe

#3 3 years ago

Bump for more info. I'm using the pinball rehab.com troubleshooting guide, but haven't solved it yet.

Anyone able to help with troubleshooting?

It seems to me all the diodes are good.

Failed/shorted switch or CPU??

Thanks for your thoughts.

#4 3 years ago

Hey Jamie,

In order to get a phantom switch closure, three switches have to be closed. The three closed switches and the phantom switch will form a rectangle on the switch matrix. The problem will be with one of those switches.

Since you have multiple switches with the same problem you would look for the two switches that each issue has in common (I've noted one problem below in red and the second in blue). In your case the common switches are the drop target and the right trough switch. So one of those two switches has a shorted diode, reversed diode or the diode/wire is shorting to ground.

460107.jpg

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Hey Jamie,
In order to get a phantom switch closure, three switches have to be closed. The three closed switches and the phantom switch will form a rectangle on the switch matrix. The problem will be with one of those switches.
Since you have multiple switches with the same problem you would look for the two switches that each issue has in common (I've noted one problem below in red and the second in blue). In your case the common switches are the drop target and the right trough switch. So one of those two switches has a shorted diode, reversed diode or the diode/wire is shorting to ground.
460107.jpg

Sometimes we feel SOOOO DUUUUUMMBBB... the trough switch was wired backwards. White was soldered to the common, and the Diode was therefore backwards as well.

NOW... On to the next problem. I have a phantom Slam Tilt problem that so far I have not been able to replicate. I know the Right Inlane switch is a culprit, but I don't know what other switches are the additional culprits. I will continue to investigate this and see if I can replicate it.

Thanks so much Terry! I love working on these these, everyday I get a little bit smarter.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

NOW... On to the next problem. I have a phantom Slam Tilt problem that so far I have not been able to replicate. I know the Right Inlane switch is a culprit, but I don't know what other switches are the additional culprits. I will continue to investigate this and see if I can replicate it.

Remember it take three closed switches. So take all of the balls out, make sure the drop-target is up and the cannon switches are open. Then close one switch at a time and see when the problem reappears.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 26.50
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
€ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Multigame
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 259.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 399.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside