• Latest reply 7 years ago by Jakers
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2016-07-06_at_1.59.22_PM_(resized).png

#1 11 years ago

Just curious about if I need to update the ROM in my newly purchased T2. I don't NEED to update it if I gain nothing important. It seems to be playing fine. Just want to pick all of your brains!

The diagnostic screen says:

Terminator 2
50013 REV. P-2F

and the next screen says...

Sound Rev. L-3
Sy. 2.09 HOME 1.0

I assume my main ROM is L-3 and the highest is L-8.

Anyone know what the changes are? Is there documentation anywhere? I can't seem to find a list of the changes. I've heard they didn't advertise them much back then, like Stern does now on modern machines...

#2 11 years ago

I updated mine from L6 to L8 and haven't noticed any difference. I never found documentation anywhere on what changed on the ROM versions for this machine.

Good Luck!

#3 11 years ago

P-2F is the 'profanity' ROM where Arnold says 'F*** You, A**hole!' on the database shot *occasionally*.

There are no documented revision changes for T-2 like more modern games, sorry.

I run L-8 CPU and L-3 sound in my T2, because the swearing got old.

#4 11 years ago

Interesting. I remember the seller showing me and extra profanity ROM that came with the Pin. He had it in the coin box in a plastic case. I wonder if he installed it before delivering it, and the regular ROM is the one now in the coin box.

I haven't seen the profanity come up yet, or the option to turn it off in the menu. I'll have to look deeper.

I wonder what revision of the original code this is based on....

#5 11 years ago

Just spoke with the seller. The ROM in the coin box in the case is the factory Williams one. Have no idea what version. The Profanity ROM has been in all along. Will have to look for that setting....

#6 11 years ago

Yikes!

this site says the Profanity ROM is based on an early, per-release prototype! It also says it's two chips, including a special sound ROM. Is my L-3 sound ROM a hack too? I'm confused here....

http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/t2_prof.htm

#7 11 years ago

The profanity ROM does require a special sound ROM.

Typically, they are sold in pairs.

Yes, the profanity ROMs are based on prototype software; Having said that, all T2 ROM revisions have a fair amount of bugs in them.

The L-3 sound ROMS are the latest factory sound ROMS. The profanity CPU ROM will never swear unless you install the swearing sound ROM.

#8 11 years ago

But you're happy with L-8 CPU? Did you see any improvement over the profanity one?

#9 11 years ago

I've probably ran them all, being the ROM guy and all. Hearing a game swear just gets old. It's only one phrase, and once you've heard it once, you don't need to hear it again.

The game plays about the same with L-8 or the profanity ROMS.

#10 11 years ago

The profanity rom is a waste of money. The sound sample is pretty bad and there is no award.

#11 11 years ago

Yeah, I haven't noticed any bugs really. Still probably should switch it out to L-8 someday, if nothing more than to get the experience of swapping a ROM out.

It probably contains obscure fixes....like a coin mech problem when it's set for Uzbekistan. I bet the code was pretty polished in those days when the game shipped. Now days, since you can flash update it easily, the game can ship in beta form. Not sure that's progress, but oh well!

#12 11 years ago

By the way, johnwartjr, I now recognize you from a ROM post I made a few weeks ago, before I got my T2 Pin! You mentioned your business of burning ROMS.

How much for a L-8?

#13 11 years ago

Nevermind...found your website.

$10 sounds good!

#14 11 years ago

I would appreciate and welcome your business if and when you are ready for the L-8 CPU ROM.

Thanks!

#15 11 years ago

Looked last night at my ROMS. Both have stickers on them saying Profanity CPU and Profanity Sound. Found it in the Menu and turned it on. We'll see if it actually works.

Looks like I'll get both L-8 and final sound ROM when I swap.

3 years later
#16 7 years ago

Bringing a 3 year old thread back from its slumber...

I have the same ROM setup as the original poster (P-2F and L-3 chips), but when it lands on F*CK YOU A**HOLE the game doesn't speak the phrase. The words only appear on the DMD. What do I need to do to actually get Arnold to speak the phrase?

Thanks!

#17 7 years ago

Like they said above, you need both the sound and game roms. Maybe you dont have both. Either way, its a very old version of the code. Why even bother.

#18 7 years ago

You must make these two adjustments:

Adjustment A2.22 Profanity Must be set to 'ON'
Adjustment A3.17 Free Play Must Be set to 'ON'
If both of the adjustments are not set, the profanity will NOT work.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Like they said above, you need both the sound and game roms. Maybe you dont have both. Either way, its a very old version of the code. Why even bother.

I know it's old code but I can't seem to find any info on the changes the newest code makes to the gameplay. So I don't feel it's worth it to buy a new game ROM and lose all my settings and high scores if the code update is so minimal that no one even knows what the changes are. Plus, I like the random swearing possibility.

Quoted from schudel5:

You must make these two adjustments:
Adjustment A2.22 Profanity Must be set to 'ON'
Adjustment A3.17 Free Play Must Be set to 'ON'
If both of the adjustments are not set, the profanity will NOT work.

I definitely have both those settings to "ON". I'm thinking whoever owned the game prior to me replaced the game ROM (U6) to the profanity version but didn't replace the sound ROM (U14). This screen shot from Ministry Of Pinball.com shows U14 as L-3P. I assume the P stands for profanity and I only need to replace that particular sound chip (not all 3) to get Arnold to actually speak the phrase. Can anyone confirm this?

Screen_Shot_2016-07-06_at_1.59.22_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-07-06_at_1.59.22_PM_(resized).png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 26.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morgantown, WV
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 21.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-rom-question?hl=scrimmbo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.