IMG_4797 (resized).JPG
IMG_4802 (resized).JPG
IMG_4790 (resized).JPG
IMG_4804 (resized).JPG
IMG_4805 (resized).JPG
IMG_4808 (resized).JPG
IMG_4810 (resized).JPG
IMG_4787 (resized).JPG
There are 233 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 6 years ago

This is the very beginnings of a Terminator 2 Restoration I will be documenting. I know for a lot of people T2 is not a top choice when it comes to a pinball machine. But i'm a huge Arnold fan and have been looking for one locally for quite some time. So I'm pumped to get this thing back to better than new condition. Additionally, I was able to get ahold of the LAST reproduction playfield that Peter at http://www.buthamburg.de/ had!! Buthamburg

Picked up a T2 in fairly decent shape, little rough around the edges (literally haha) but the price was right at 1800.00.

The good:
• Playfield is actually in pretty decent shape
• bottom of the playfield looks excellent, no burn marks, no evidence of re-soldering
• Cabinet interior is amazingly clean
• Plastics all intact and appear to be in really good shape, I have not found a crack yet
• Boards are all in really great shape, rom labels fully intact, no evidence of overheating

The bad:
• Getting an error of "Gun can not find home"
• Cabinet is pretty rough
• overall really dirty, as it was in storage for like 5 years
• Batteries on main CPU board leaked, not too bad, think the board is salvageable and will still work.
• the ball through does not appear to be registering balls that return to it.

Here are some of the before photos.

IMG_2311 (resized).jpgIMG_2311 (resized).jpg

IMG_2312 (resized).jpgIMG_2312 (resized).jpg

IMG_2310 (resized).jpgIMG_2310 (resized).jpg

IMG_2309 (resized).jpgIMG_2309 (resized).jpg

IMG_2308 (resized).jpgIMG_2308 (resized).jpg

IMG_2304 (resized).jpgIMG_2304 (resized).jpg

IMG_2305 (resized).jpgIMG_2305 (resized).jpg

IMG_2303 (resized).jpgIMG_2303 (resized).jpg

IMG_2302 (resized).jpgIMG_2302 (resized).jpg

IMG_2301 (resized).jpgIMG_2301 (resized).jpg

IMG_2299 (resized).jpgIMG_2299 (resized).jpg

IMG_2298 (resized).jpgIMG_2298 (resized).jpg

IMG_2300 (resized).jpgIMG_2300 (resized).jpg

IMG_2297 (resized).jpgIMG_2297 (resized).jpg

IMG_2296 (resized).jpgIMG_2296 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

The restoration bug has bitten you bad my friend! Can't wait to see how this one turns out!!!

#3 6 years ago

Have to be honest @mschonbrun I just love working on these things, more importantly, its just really rewarding bringing something back to life!

I'm thinking of doing the chrome style decals, I personally like them much better, it's more timeless than the blue and also more in line with the REAL T2 movie marketing posters etc...

terminator-chrome-pinball-cabinet-decals-flipper (resized).jpgterminator-chrome-pinball-cabinet-decals-flipper (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Nice - congrats on the find and enjoy the journey. Looks like you will be re-doing the cab. What are your plans on the playfield side?

#5 6 years ago

Aeolus7 yes sir lots of sanding and work will be required, but all good , funny you should ask about the playfield as im very lucky to have found the last reproduction run with 5 coats of clear on it!!

Coming from Germany should be here in about a week. I got a killer deal because it was the last one and it was "B stock" as one of the lock inserts has the wrong color, but I'm fine with that.

If you look close you will notice one of the lanes has the insert colors swapped on the left (orange and green)

PF (resized).pngPF (resized).png

#6 6 years ago

I have the chrome style decals and they do look better than the originals imo. Good luck with the restore!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

This is the very beginnings of a Terminator 2 Restoration I will be documenting. I know for a lot of people T2 is not a top choice when it comes to a pinball machine. But i'm a huge Arnold fan and have been looking for one locally for quite some time. So I'm pumped to get this thing back to better than new condition. Additionally, I was able to get ahold of the LAST reproduction playfield that Peter at http://www.buthamburg.de/ had!! Buthamburg
Picked up a T2 in fairly decent shape, little rough around the edges (literally haha) but the price was right at 1800.00.
The good:
• Playfield is actually in pretty decent shape
• bottom of the playfield looks excellent, no burn marks, no evidence of re-soldering
• Cabinet interior is amazingly clean
• Plastics all intact and appear to be in really good shape, I have not found a crack yet
• Boards are all in really great shape, rom labels fully intact, no evidence of overheating
The bad:
• Getting an error of "Gun can not find home"
• Cabinet is pretty rough
• overall really dirty, as it was in storage for like 5 years
• Batteries on main CPU board leaked, not too bad, think the board is salvageable and will still work.
• the ball through does not appear to be registering balls that return to it.
Here are some of the before photos.

Congrats for the purchase - take a look at the T2 club thread as well!

Quoted from neverahighscore:

I have the chrome style decals and they do look better than the originals imo. Good luck with the restore!

+1 for the Chrome Cabinet Decals - I got'em too but didn't have the chance to install it yet! BTW, Pete RetroRefurbs is an awesome dude to deal with!

#8 6 years ago

aeolus7 yes sir lots of sanding and work will be required, but all good , funny you should ask about the playfield as im very lucky to have found the last reproduction run with 5 coats of clear on it!!
Coming from Germany should be here in about a week. I got a killer deal because it was the last one and it was "B stock" as one of the lock inserts has the wrong color, but I'm fine with that.
If you look close you will notice one of the lanes has the insert colors swapped on the left (orange and green)

Lovely - one of a kind!

#9 6 years ago

Have to be honest mschonbrun I just love working on these things, more importantly, its just really rewarding bringing something back to life!
I'm thinking of doing the chrome style decals, I personally like them much better, it's more timeless than the blue and also more in line with the REAL T2 movie marketing posters etc...

Totally hear you. I can’t wait to start my next swap!

#10 6 years ago

AlexSMendes yes Peter is great RetroRefurbs I got all ththe decals from him for my POTC retire and they are super quality and great pricing! And right now he had a special on the chrome ed decals, translate, and apron / playfield decals!

#11 6 years ago

Got the harness all labeled (with blue painters tape my favorite ) and removed the playfield! Playfield will find a new home in my rotisserie, and going to start dissassnling the cabinet for removal no decals and fixing the wood

Enlight48 (resized).jpgEnlight48 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

After running through a lot of tests I came to the conclusion (with some pinhead help) that I think my main board MPU, was just not working... most likely due to the battery acid that leaked. So ordered a rottendog with remote battery holder So this will never happen again.

I am going to attempt to fix mine, and if I mess it up or can't fix, no biggie

IMG_2312 (resized).JPGIMG_2312 (resized).JPG
IMG_2388 (resized).PNGIMG_2388 (resized).PNG

#13 6 years ago

I think replacing the MPU is a wise move. That’s a lot of alkaline leakage and it’s right on the switch matrix ULNs.

Looking forward to seeing the restore!

Marc

#14 6 years ago

Wel, the most import part to me restore arrived today, and WOW what a beauty, brand new reproduction T2 playfield 4x cleared!

Enlight50 (resized).jpgEnlight50 (resized).jpg
Enlight52 (resized).jpgEnlight52 (resized).jpg
Enlight51 (resized).jpgEnlight51 (resized).jpg
Enlight53 (resized).jpgEnlight53 (resized).jpg

IMG_2448 (resized).JPGIMG_2448 (resized).JPG

#15 6 years ago

Beautiful!

#16 6 years ago

Wel, the most import part to me restore arrived today, and WOW what a beauty, brand new reproduction T2 playfield 4x cleared!

Lmk if you need some plastics... I can help!

#18 6 years ago

Love these threads! Added to my favs. Any mods you will be doing or going stock?
Harley D.

#19 6 years ago

shovelhed thanks for following! Oh yes my friend I have some goodies planned for this one

#20 6 years ago

Cabinet basically cleared out time to start taking off the decals

IMG_2480 (resized).JPGIMG_2480 (resized).JPG

IMG_2481 (resized).JPGIMG_2481 (resized).JPG

#21 6 years ago

Decals off the cabinet

IMG_2482 (resized).JPGIMG_2482 (resized).JPG

IMG_2484 (resized).JPGIMG_2484 (resized).JPG

IMG_2483 (resized).JPGIMG_2483 (resized).JPG

#22 6 years ago

Really excited I finally made the jump and ordered a compressor and some great tools for my restoration projects! Long nose stapler and a Brad gun to start

Enlight54 (resized).jpgEnlight54 (resized).jpg

Enlight55 (resized).jpgEnlight55 (resized).jpg

#23 6 years ago

alexsmendes u don't say!? Yes please

I'll shoot you a PM!

#24 6 years ago

Really excited I finally made the jump and ordered a compressor and some great tools for my restoration projects! Long nose stapler and a Brad gun to start

Cool! I always say things would be so much easier if only I had the right tools!!!

#25 6 years ago

So I tried to upload a gif no support for .gif's on pinsinde man, major bummer. here is a link to me removing decals in super speed!

#26 6 years ago

Finished sanding the back box and cabinet Time to fill some serious holes and damage where the coin door lock was

IMG_2298 (resized).JPGIMG_2298 (resized).JPG

IMG_2500 (resized).JPGIMG_2500 (resized).JPG

Enlight56 (resized).jpgEnlight56 (resized).jpg

Enlight57 (resized).jpgEnlight57 (resized).jpg

#27 6 years ago

Well after 3 rounds of wood filler and sanding I fixed the lock at damage on ththe front of the cabinet, patched some minor holes, and fixed some edges on the back box. It's not perfect but I'm proud of it and it's 100% better than it was

Enlight58 (resized).jpgEnlight58 (resized).jpg

Enlight60 (resized).jpgEnlight60 (resized).jpg

Enlight59 (resized).jpgEnlight59 (resized).jpg

IMG_2515 (resized).JPGIMG_2515 (resized).JPG

IMG_2517 (resized).JPGIMG_2517 (resized).JPG

IMG_2519 (resized).JPGIMG_2519 (resized).JPG

IMG_2520 (resized).JPGIMG_2520 (resized).JPG

IMG_2518 (resized).JPGIMG_2518 (resized).JPG

#28 6 years ago

Got to test out my new staple gun to install the ground wire, works awesome!! The long nose is totally necessary and made this a breeze.

I also purposely did not paint over the date stamp on ththe cabinet

IMG_2525 (resized).JPGIMG_2525 (resized).JPG

IMG_2523 (resized).JPGIMG_2523 (resized).JPG

IMG_2524 (resized).JPGIMG_2524 (resized).JPG

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Lmk if you need some plastics... I can help!

I am also doing a restoration and I need plastics!

#30 6 years ago

The top of the playfield is basically cleared, I'm actually pretty amazed at the condition of this playfield. Only one plastic was cracked!

IMG_2576 (resized).JPGIMG_2576 (resized).JPG

IMG_2578 (resized).JPGIMG_2578 (resized).JPG

IMG_2577 (resized).JPGIMG_2577 (resized).JPG

#31 6 years ago

Keep up the good work.
If you need assistance PM me.

I have restored at least 5 in the past 30 years. Easier game than most due to playfield and electronic structure design.

Take extra photos of the gun assembly and skull areas, even though they are not that hard. You DO NOT want to have to reassemble those assemblied TWICE!

I only wish was WMS swing out rails had been started to be installed on this game title. They were not released until nearly 2 years later, but could be retrofitted from an old cabinet.

#32 6 years ago

Well went at it hard both Saturday and Sunday got a ton done!

- Removed and labeled basically every part.
- Started cleaning harness
- Cleaned and polished all ball guides and wire forms
- cleaned and polished plastics, amazingly only one broken!
- flame polished ramp came out great!
- Installed new t nuts in the new playfield.
- moved harness to new playfield and re attaching everything

IMG_2625 (resized).JPGIMG_2625 (resized).JPG

IMG_2633 (resized).JPGIMG_2633 (resized).JPG

IMG_2629 (resized).JPGIMG_2629 (resized).JPG

IMG_2634 (resized).JPGIMG_2634 (resized).JPG

Enlight61 (resized).jpgEnlight61 (resized).jpg

Enlight62 (resized).jpgEnlight62 (resized).jpg

Enlight63 (resized).jpgEnlight63 (resized).jpg

Enlight64 (resized).jpgEnlight64 (resized).jpg

Enlight65 (resized).jpgEnlight65 (resized).jpg

Enlight66 (resized).jpgEnlight66 (resized).jpg

Enlight67 (resized).jpgEnlight67 (resized).jpg

#33 6 years ago

That's looking really nice! Great work

#34 6 years ago

So I tried to upload a gif no support for .gif's on pinsinde man, major bummer. here is a link to me removing decals in super speed!
» YouTube video

just change the "high res" to "original" and GIFs will work.

Looks great so far!

#35 6 years ago

Following with great interest! I have my Buthamberg playfield here waiting for the chance to get started on the swap. Will be my first so Ill be watching your progress closely. Looking great so far!

#36 6 years ago

Sinistarrett the clearcoat on these is beautiful. One thing I noticed on mine they forgot to drill a few holes for the GI

#37 6 years ago

Hmmm I havent even had a chance to compare the new with the original playfield but I will be on the lookout for missing holes. And yes whoever clearcoated these did an outstanding job!

#38 6 years ago

Well went at it hard both Saturday and Sunday got a ton done!
- Removed and labeled basically every part.
- Started cleaning harness
- Cleaned and polished all ball guides and wire forms
- cleaned and polished plastics, amazingly only one broken!
- flame polished ramp came out great!
- Installed new t nuts in the new playfield.
- moved harness to new playfield and re attaching everything

Did you drill before installing anything?

#40 6 years ago

tezting I have only 1 hole that needs to be drilled out, unfortunately, I noticed the hole as I was reinstalling the wiring harness... A lot of stuff is already mounted. So.. going to buy a drill guide to ensure I go straight through.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milescraft-AccuDrillMate-Portable-Drill-Stand-for-Use-Almost-Anywhere-13180003/206520394?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=sb5qX5Nwc|dc_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_195274179091_pkw__pmt__product_206520394_slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjNqKtI3B1gIVgYZpCh2JJwOTEAQYASABEgKfyvD_BwE

You can get simple drill stops for just a couple dollars at your local Home Depot, Menard's or other hardware store. Or, just use a piece of tape as your guide and watch carefully.

#41 6 years ago

tezting I have only 1 hole that needs to be drilled out, unfortunately, I noticed the hole as I was reinstalling the wiring harness... A lot of stuff is already mounted. So.. going to buy a drill guide to ensure I go straight through.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milescraft-AccuDrillMate-Portable-Drill-Stand-for-Use-Almost-Anywhere-13180003/206520394?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=sb5qX5Nwc|dc_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_195274179091_pkw__pmt__product_206520394_slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjNqKtI3B1gIVgYZpCh2JJwOTEAQYASABEgKfyvD_BwE

Thank you.
What about the other side? You did not need to remove any clear coat? For ball guide etc.

#42 6 years ago

tezting nope ball guides (so far) have gone right in no problem

#43 6 years ago

My Serial was in pretty bad shape and then got sanded off. Recreated almost 100% to the original.

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 2.39.34 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-09-25 at 2.39.34 PM (resized).png

#44 6 years ago

Well good thing you blurred out the 50013 and the... 771876?

#45 6 years ago

snakesnsparklers lol guess I did a great job on that haha, I mean does it really matter? As far as showing a serial on a game ?

#46 6 years ago

hmm a serial from 25 year ago.....don't think this is under warranty anymore.

#47 6 years ago

My Serial was in pretty bad shape and then got sanded off. Recreated almost 100% to the original.

Have you test printed?
I have tried the same but grey looks very off when printing on laser color.

#48 6 years ago

snakesnsparklers lol guess I did a great job on that haha, I mean does it really matter? As far as showing a serial on a game ?

Does not matter at all, only thing it could do is help you. If your game was stolen you have a record of the serial number. I don't see any benefit in "hiding" a serial.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I don't see any benefit in "hiding" a serial.

Unless you stole it!

#50 6 years ago

Well finally got the guts to drill out the gi hole, and all went well, went straight through.

Also put the last of the new drop targets on and completely disassembled, cleaned and re assembled the drop target assembly. What a complex device.

The mini coil bracket was bent to crap, and was not even working to release the drop target. Now we are all good just like new!

IMG_2660 (resized).JPGIMG_2660 (resized).JPG

Enlight69 (resized).jpgEnlight69 (resized).jpg

Enlight70 (resized).jpgEnlight70 (resized).jpg

Enlight71 (resized).jpgEnlight71 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 21.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

There are 233 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.