Next was tackling the most difficult portion of the playfield--the upper left corner. Surrounding the skull, there are just so many screws and parts that need to get put together just right, or things get loose or don't fit right.
The easiest way it to remove the sign, then the ramp itself. Then for the plastics around the skull, remove the nuts in front, and at the rear of each plastic, there is a long screw holding it into the playfield.
Some broken bits of glass made it into this area too.
Once the plastics are unscrewed, spread the back ends apart to get around the wireform, then just remove them up and forward.
20190626162429308 (resized).jpg20190626163508202 (resized).jpg
Next, remove the wireform, remove the metal ball guides leading up to the saucer hole, install the cliffy protector, and also replace all the red plastic ball guides at the top of the playfield.
20190626163508202 (resized).jpg20190626163515625 (resized).jpg20190626171211508 (resized).jpg20190626171633056 (resized).jpg
Note that the two outer plastic ball guides should each have only one side, but only the two-sided ball guides were available at the time. The single-sided guides were out of stock. Since there were no sizing issues, I opted not to try to cut off the sides since I didn't have any extras and since there was still a time crunch to get this game ready.
Also, note that the two cut wires lead to the lamps in the skull. There is a connector for them below the playfield. Since I have a complete connector, I just replaced that when I installed the new skull.
The metal parts have been cleaned, polished, and have been installed back onto the playfield:
Since the sticker on the back panel was peeling, I went ahead and replaced the back panel from the partially populated spare playfield I stripped down. It was held by small screws through the metal ball guide, and wood screws through the bottom side of the playfield. The small ball guide screws were so rusty, there were unable, but luckily, I was able to dig out replacements, also from that spare playfield. While the back panel was removed, I was able to install the cliffy protector for the upper right saucer hole.
20190626210338986 (resized).jpg20190626210538874 (resized).jpg20190626214511832 (resized).jpg
Note that in that last photo, there was a mistake with the rubbers that I just copied from the old rubbers that were previously installed--the plastic post should have rubbers going across to one of the metal posts. That prevents balls from getting stuck under the ramp. I ended up finding that out after I had assembled everything, so I had to go back and take the ramp off and put the correct rubbers on.