New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 159256)

T2 Problems After Shopping

By troxel

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by troxel
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Z-diode.jpg

#1 4 years ago

My T2 is getting closer to getting done, but had 2 problems pop up after shopping the game.

1. I now get "slam tilt switch is stuck closed" when powering on the game. I disconnected the coin door harness along with J209 and J205. Does this indicate a CPU problem?

2. The cannon is just spinning and doesn't stop when the coin door is open. Everything checks out in the gun test mode. I checked the three switches on the gun along with the diodes and all look good. Anything else to check?

#2 4 years ago

You have another slam tilt on the floor of the game ? Check that.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

I didn't see another slam tilt on the floor. I found the diode on the top of the cannon switch had a short. I cut the diode, and retested the diode, and it read correctly. What's the best way to find the short if it's not the diode?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from troxel:

I found the diode on the top of the cannon switch had a short. I cut the diode, and retested the diode, and it read correctly.

If a switch is in rest, the diode measures as a short because it is connected between 'Com' and 'Normally Closed' on the switch.
When you push the lever, it should no longer read as a short.
Z-diode.jpg

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

If a switch is in rest, the diode measures as a short because it is connected between 'Com' and 'Normally Closed' on the switch.
When you push the lever, it should no longer read as a short.

Good explanation, thank you.

I put the game in single switch test and noticed that all switches in rows1 and rows2 activate the other. If I press 1,1 then 1,2 also registers, if I press 2,1 then 2,2 registers, and so on. What's the best way to figure out what's wrong? I disconnected the gun, so can I rule out the problem is not with those two switches (31,32)?

Thanks again for the help!

#6 4 years ago

I would start with the targets sw.#71 and sw.#72, the upper 2 (of 5 ) targets.

#7 4 years ago

What exactly should I be looking for? Diodes tested fine in circuit. I don't see any wire or metal touching another.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from troxel:

1. I now get "slam tilt switch is stuck closed" when powering on the game. I disconnected the coin door harness along with J209 and J205. Does this indicate a CPU problem?

And what was the result of disconnecting the coin door harness and j209/j205?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

And what was the result of disconnecting the coin door harness and j209/j205?

I still get the Slam tilt error when the door is closed. I imagine this is because the close switch #22 (door closed) is also firing #21 (Slam Tilt).

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from troxel:

What exactly should I be looking for?

A low resistance electrical connection between Wht-Brn and Wht-Red.

Quoted from troxel:

I don't see any wire or metal touching another.

Too bad, that would be the most obvious location where a short between Wht-Brn and Wht-Red would occur since they are next to each other.

#11 4 years ago

I started to follow the pinwiki guide and narrowed it down to the CPU. I checked the Opto Isolators since it dealt with row 2 and noticed a short. I disconnected everything and the short went away. Put connectors back on and checked for a short, and it's gone. Went back with the logic probe and showed that that J206 was pulsing high and switch test verfied it. Not really sure what was wrong.

This also fixed the gun issue. Thanks for the help on this problem. Learned a few things while tackling it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside