20200912_150935 (resized).jpg
20200911_153227 (resized).jpg
20200905_122226 (resized).jpg
20200905_112316 (resized).jpg
20200905_111710 (resized).jpg
T2 Brackets (resized).jpg
Skynet Bracket3 (resized).jpg
Skynet Bracket2 (resized).jpg
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

Great thread! Nice work it looks amazing.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

Rebuilt flippers put on plugs and transplanted. Should I bother with the alignment roll pins? Seems like a high risk vs reward pounding them in. Still waiting on one package to arrive with a bunch of molex connectors so can't do much at the moment.
[quoted image]

Awesome job! Strongly considering doing this to my T2, and really digging this thread. I was under the impression when rebuilding flippers to always mount the coil lugs on the opposite Side of coil stops?

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from Quadrider:

Awesome job! Strongly considering doing this to my T2, and really digging this thread. I was under the impression when rebuilding flippers to always mount the coil lugs on the opposite Side of coil stops?

The flippers were rebuilt by the previous owner. I just unscrewed them from the old playfield and put them on the new one as-is. They worked fine when removed so I didn't change anything.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

The flippers were rebuilt by the previous owner. I just unscrewed them from the old playfield and put them on the new one as-is. They worked fine when removed so I didn't change anything.

The reason for having the coil the other way is to get it as far away from where where the plunger hits the coil stop, this is to limit the shock and the potential cracking of the solder joints on the coil terminals. It'll work fine the other way but I guess it was done to reduce the chance of sited machines breaking down.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The reason for having the coil the other way is to get it as far away from where where the plunger hits the coil stop, this is to limit the shock and the potential cracking of the solder joints on the coil terminals. It'll work fine the other way but I guess it was done to reduce the chance of sited machines breaking down.

Good to know. The leads from the large caps on the flipper assemblies aren't long enough to flip the coil so I'll leave it as-is. I've already reflowed the coil terminals and cleaned up and sketchy wiring/connections. With the light use this game will be getting from home use it shouldn't be an issue.

I put the head back on today and hooked everything back up. Also put a coat of paint on the coin door. Just need to finish painting the coin door and gun assembly before turning it on.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

Just need to finish painting the coin door and gun assembly before turning it on.

What are you using to repaint the gun?

#57 3 years ago

I just put the last coat of paint on the gun and coin door. Will reassemble and reinstall them probably tomorrow and see what happens when I turn the game back on.

Quoted from retroware99:

What are you using to repaint the gun?

Here is what I'm using. Not bad for $5.

20200915_174842 (resized).jpg20200915_174842 (resized).jpg20200915_174826 (resized).jpg20200915_174826 (resized).jpg

#58 3 years ago

Put the coin door and gun back on today and fired it up. Hmm... no smoke but the display isn't working. Found I forgot to plug in the small molex connector by the transformer. After plugging it in I really only had to adjust one slingshot rubber and the lane guide by the left outlane. Everything else was fine. Now I just need to find a nice apron because mine is pretty ugly.

20200916_162827 (resized).jpg20200916_162827 (resized).jpg20200916_164153 (resized).jpg20200916_164153 (resized).jpg20200916_151823 (resized).jpg20200916_151823 (resized).jpg

#59 3 years ago

Reflowed and recapped the boards. Also replaced two bridges that someone previously messed with and added the heat sink. Just need an apron. If anyone comes across a nice original apron please message me. Thanks

20200917_102103 (resized).jpg20200917_102103 (resized).jpg20200917_120840 (resized).jpg20200917_120840 (resized).jpg

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

If anyone comes across a nice original apron please message me. Thanks

Your apron looks pretty good structurally, why not sand it back & paint it (or get it powder coated) and apply new decals?

https://shop.mrpinball.com.au/product/terminator-2-apron-decal-set/
https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/terminator-2-apron-decal.html
https://treasurecovepinball.com/Library/decals/terminator-2/terminator-2.htm

#61 3 years ago

It's an option but I'd prefer a screen printed original over a decal. I would trade mine plus cash for a nicer one.

#62 3 years ago

I really like how you added the molex connectors for your coils and stuff. I am about to rebuild flippers on a game I want to keep for awhile (and may long down the road do a playfield swap on). I was thinking molex connectors would be good for the future. Plus it lets you do all the "difficult" soldering out of the game and then just plug back after versus soldering at an angle.

Why don't more people do this? Is there a technical reason why molex is a bad idea?

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Why don't more people do this? Is there a technical reason why molex is a bad idea?

Adding a connector adds a failure point in the future. For assemblies that need to be removed with some regularity (I'm racking my brain as to which ones that would be after they were rebuilt properly, though) it would make sense, or ones where there's a LOT of stuff to work on (memory drop target banks) it makes sense.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Adding a connector adds a failure point in the future. For assemblies that need to be removed with some regularity (I'm racking my brain as to which ones that would be after they were rebuilt properly, though) it would make sense, or ones where there's a LOT of stuff to work on (memory drop target banks) it makes sense.

That is a fair point thank you. I guess it becomes a balancing act between how "good" or "bad" of a soldering job one can do when the playfield is vertical in the game versus an improved soldering job but an added failure point of a molex connector. I know my soldering on vertical playfields at weird angles leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe I need to see if anyone has offered tips/videos on how to improve my skills at this.

#65 3 years ago

There's no reason you can't make good solder joints with the playfield up. What are you soldering there BTW? I take the coil out of the mech and let it stay in the machine.... rebuild assembly on the bench (haha, that means the glass of the next machine over) and reinstall.

If you're doing ALL of them, take some wood and creatively flip the playfield over onto it, now you've got the original orientation and easy soldering.

Soldering in situ requires you to always feed the solder from above the joint and iron so gravity works for you.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

There's no reason you can't make good solder joints with the playfield up. What are you soldering there BTW? I take the coil out of the mech and let it stay in the machine.... rebuild assembly on the bench (haha, that means the glass of the next machine over) and reinstall.
If you're doing ALL of them, take some wood and creatively flip the playfield over onto it, now you've got the original orientation and easy soldering.
Soldering in situ requires you to always feed the solder from above the joint and iron so gravity works for you.

I'm thinking of examples where I'm doing a full flipper rebuild and I can already tell the coil has shrunk and the coil sleeve isn't going to come out and I'm doing a coil replacement. BTW - you and I have the same "bench".

1 month later
#67 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I wouldn’t bother with Mylaring the slings if just at home.
Progress looks great!

I'm getting ready to do a swap with a Brunner play field as well and was wondering about opinions on using mylar around the pop bumpers if the machine is going to be HOU?

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from retroware99:

I'm getting ready to do a swap with a Brunner play field as well and was wondering about opinions on using mylar around the pop bumpers if the machine is going to be HOU?

I don’t do it to my own swaps but some people want me to do theirs. I don’t think they’re necessary unless you play a lot. And if you do, it’s good to Mylar the whole area before populating them so you don't have a a dirt/wax line that builds up. But then to replace you’re pulling that all off.

Personal choice but I personally don’t find it necessary.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 27.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-playfield-swap-and-cabinet-restore-by-a-noob/page/2?hl=homebru and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.