• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IG_041.JPG
$(KGrHqUOKikE6e!709-7BOsTmMI!s!~~60_57.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I want to replace some of the decals on my T2 playfield and am wondering if anyone has experience with this? Specifically, I am talking about the ones over the plastic inserts with lights under them. It looks like I would only be peeling the decals off of plastic, but I'm not 100% sure. Is this difficult or are there any pointers I should know before attempting this? Thanks.

$(KGrHqUOKikE6e!709-7BOsTmMI!s!~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqUOKikE6e!709-7BOsTmMI!s!~~60_57.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Friendly bump for you. I can tell you this. They are not decals. They are screened on the playfield as part of the artwork. I do not have experience with the replacement decals but if you do a search I know it has been covered before.

Good luck!
Keith

#3 11 years ago

Well that's no fun. Sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth.

#4 11 years ago

I did find the other post related to this. This can be closed. Thanks.

#5 11 years ago

Installing insert decals is a bit of work maybe even a slight pain but certainly worth the trouble but the right way to do them is to pop out all the inserts sand them on a piece of sandpaper on a flat hard surface until they are strait and all the old print is off them then reglue all of them in place using a thicker adhesive i use a granite block or a strait chunk of wood to push em downflush then let them set overnight to cure then scuff the PF and put a good coat of clear on the playfield wetsand smooth then apply the decals using the original outline its best to use non laminated decals the once they are in place the playfield can be cleared and brought to better than new condition.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

Installing insert decals is a bit of work maybe even a slight pain but certainly worth the trouble but the right way to do them is to pop out all the inserts sand them on a piece of sandpaper on a flat hard surface until they are strait and all the old print is off them then reglue all of them in place using a thicker adhesive i use a granite block or a strait chunk of wood to push em downflush then let them set overnight to cure then scuff the PF and put a good coat of clear on the playfield wetsand smooth then apply the decals using the original outline its best to use non laminated decals the once they are in place the playfield can be cleared and brought to better than new condition.

You clear first then install the decals? I've never done it that way. I'm curious why?

#7 11 years ago

I asked the same questions about six months ago. The more I looked into it... the less I wanted to attempt the task. I am now fine with my current inserts.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

I asked the same questions about six months ago. The more I looked into it... the less I wanted to attempt the task. I am now fine with my current inserts.

Removing the inserts is no problem I just don't understand why once he has polished the inserts and puts them back in that he puts a layer of clear on before the decals?

7 months later
#9 10 years ago

hello to all, someone please tell me where I can find these decals playfield
there are many type of this, but i can't find a set who is complete as this
Here's what I got, unfortunately are not complete

IG_041.JPGIG_041.JPG

#10 10 years ago

The clear goes on first to create a perfectly smooth top coat on the playfield before paint and decals.

Think of it like this: It's a layer, like in photoshop. Where virtually anything can be done, and UNDONE, without damaging the playfield underneath. Once you're complete with all the touchups, you lock it in with your final thicker layers of clear to protect it for an eternity.

This is precisely why proper playfield repair isn't for everyone, and why there are more shoddy repairs all over the place. If you're going to do it, do it right once. If you can't do it right, don't do it at all...or alternatively, pay someone else to do it.

#11 10 years ago

but those in the photo are not already complete?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Gannicus:

The clear goes on first to create a perfectly smooth top coat on the playfield before paint and decals.
Think of it like this: It's a layer, like in photoshop. Where virtually anything can be done, and UNDONE, without damaging the playfield underneath. Once you're complete with all the touchups, you lock it in with your final thicker layers of clear to protect it for an eternity.
This is precisely why proper playfield repair isn't for everyone, and why there are more shoddy repairs all over the place. If you're going to do it, do it right once. If you can't do it right, don't do it at all...or alternatively, pay someone else to do it.

Ive done a few playfields so far and only one needed decal replacement. I always touch up before clear and seems to work for me as my machines sell fast. There is always 2 ways to skin a cat.

#13 10 years ago

I've yet to see any "good" T2 decals. None seem to match the originals. I'd just leave it alone.

#15 10 years ago

When people talk of clearcoating, I assume this involves the playfield being stripped completely top and bottom or is there a way to apply it locally?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

When people talk of clearcoating, I assume this involves the playfield being stripped completely top and bottom or is there a way to apply it locally?

The bottom of the playfield doesn't need to be cleared, but yes. Obviously you can use a little clear to repair a small portion of the field if you want to. But anytime I've seen a playfield "touched up" with clear, it usually looks like s&*t. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to clear coat the playfield anyways...every playfield should be cleared imo. It protects it forever.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 21.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 27.95
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-playfield-decal-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.