20190302_142218 (resized).jpg
T2 Connectors Labeled (resized).jpg
Back_side (resized).jpg
Image002 (resized).jpg
CPU (resized).jpg
20190220_202346 (resized).jpg
20190220_202539 (resized).jpg
20190220_202350 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenix_iii:

That looks like great advice! I had to read that a few times to understand though, ha.
Okay, so we think that maybe there is a connection (that shouldn't be there!) between the battery (AA) terminal and that U16 leg underneath it. Would it be fair to remove the batteries (my scores!!) and see if the issue is resolved (besides not saving any settings!). If it is, I know it's erroneous voltage coming from the batteries, or is that an unfair test?
Lastly, I would then try and clean/separate the connection there. Could use tips on how to do that too (sucker? how many watts on the soldering iron to not risk hurting anything nearby, etc). I'm a noob but handy

Removing the battery in this case will not help.

Based on your pictures, the trace the leads directly down from the last terminal of the battery holder (the negative end) should be connected to pin 12 of U16 and then on to pin 9 of U20. The thin trace from the battery holder to U16 looks really fragile and may have been weakened when the battery holder was replaced. Pressing on the battery holder may have broken that trace. Without that trace, U16 and U20 are not grounded which would cause all sorts of problems.

That trace needs to be repaired.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenix_iii:

What is the best way to repair the trace? Back in the day I used windshield rear defroster repair kit on a PC motherboard and that worked. Is that acceptable?

A short piece of thin, insulated wire on the back of the board works well. Just make sure it it insulated so it doesn't short out to the backbox or other pads on the back of the board. Jump between the battery terminal pad and pad on pin 12 of U16.

#8 5 years ago

That trace should be there. I think the other poster was concerned the trace was grounding out to some of the pins on the other side of the chip.

To test the trace is connected, make sure the game is off. Put your meter on ohms. Put one lead on the battery terminal and the other on pin 12 (each circled in RED in this picture. You should see zero ohms or really close to zero.

Image002 (resized).jpgImage002 (resized).jpg

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenix_iii:

I get (in Ohms - AUTO), "Auto K 8.65" (it varies in the 8.xx range, peaked at 10, came back down. That seems really high, like the trace is broken.
Two Questions:
1) Can I repair the trace with the board in place? The Trace should go from Pin 12 to ground (back side), or from Negative battery to pin 2?
2) Can I access the back of the board with the board in place (if necessary).
Lastly, remember, the machine was working well for months before this happened, and replacing the batteries I believe caused it, or rather, they depleted and needed replacing.

I wouldn't try and solder on that board with it in your game. Take lots of pictures of the connections. Removing the board amounts to removing all the connectors and loosening 6 screws, sliding the board up and off the screws through the keyholes.

My guess is that as you pressed on the battery holder to remove and install the batteries, you flexed the circuit board enough to break that fine trace that looks like it was damaged and poorly repaired when someone replaced the battery holder.

1 week later
#19 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenix_iii:

Did this as a test. Solders aren't touching other pins, just the angle. Did not resolve, is this not an adequate test? Was tricky but seems like a good connection. I'm also getting 0.00 ohms with the meter. Also looks like sokol is saying pin12 is different?
Not sure where to go next. Hard with the 2.5 and 5year olds.
[quoted image]

You soldered the wire to the wrong chip. It needs to go to pin 12 of the chip above it. Look again at the picture I posted with the red circles.

Unfortunately, grounding pin 16 of the ULN2003 most likely blew that part of the chip, which will cause column 3 of the switch matrix to stop functioning.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenix_iii:

Holy s~ you're right. G0d I was in such a rush... Will review, fix it, and try again.
How do I know if I blew out that part of the chip? Any ideas what functions wouldn't work? Will re-do and try again, I can't believe this...
I never RAN the game though - just went into the menu to test... so could that possibly save me the work... :\

The pin on that chip where you soldered the wire is an output. Typically when your tie outputs of this type to ground you blow components. Not a guarantee but probable. If it blew, all the switches in column 3 will no longer register.

1 week later
#24 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenix_iii:

Bump for wire fix before I keep pulling the board? Also, any technique tips?

You have 2 choices:

1) Replace the connector with a new housing and crimp pins. This is much more expensive as there are tools to purchase.

2) Reinsert the wire in the connector housing using a punch tool and/or replace the IDC connector with a new one.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-IDC-A100
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5792-12116-09

You can use a small screwdriver to try and press the loose wire into the existing connector but in my experience, you are asking for trouble in the long run. Better to buy the proper tool and a new replacement connector. Carefully cut one wire at a time off the old connector and punch it onto the new connector with the punch tool.

The ultimate better would be option 1 - to buy a housing, crimp pins and crimping tool and use crimp-on connectors but that is even more $$$

#26 5 years ago

Start a game and make sure all the switches on the playfield work. If you damaged that chip, some of the switches will not register.

1 week later
#31 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenix_iii:

So, it passes the meter test all hooked up.
However, it was only slightly improved. I also reinserted the ground for J206, and I seem to be back to where I was before this ordeal got bad.
Meaning,
I can adjust the settings! The Volume+ button also registers a 'Back', so if I use the Volume- button, I can navigate and set settings. Every now and then the Volume- will register a back, but I can (and have) adjusted all my settings now!
To properly fix the problem, I likely need to repair that wire/ground. My last question to the team is:
Can I just run an independent ground on that broken ground for J206? I see at least one easy one to reach. If not, can someone show me a video or tel me the terms I need to use to see how to do the proper repair? I don't mind buying some tools.
Thanks again everyone for your help, this is a win!

Congrats on the progress!

The wire that fell out of pin 1 of J206 is not ground. It is column 1 of the switch matrix. Best bet to ensure all the connections are solid on J206 is to replace that connector.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenix_iii:

so that making a bad connection would do what exactly? All I was able to get most of the settings where I wanted them, I seem to be having bad behavior again. Could it be just that pin 1? What do I have to buy to replace it?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-phantom-escape-key-pressed-not-the-switch#post-4879020

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 9.95
$ 27.95
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-phantom-escape-key-pressed-not-the-switch?tu=Schwaggs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.