(Topic ID: 3966)

My Pin: A few questions about display and rumble feature!

By lpeters82

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by lpeters82
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SD532548.JPG
    SD532549.JPG
    GNR.jpg
    NF_and_JP_.jpg
    DM,,.jpg
    GNR_.jpg
    T2.jpg
    T2skirt.jpg
    Arnie.jpeg

#1 9 years ago

What would you suggest, or is it a toss up. One might soon become my 1st pin.

EDIT:

One additional problem I'm finding which might be "major" is the display. All the lights work, but there are a few of the missions where there are missing pixels. I guess I don't really know what they are called, but some of the small lights don't display creating holes in the picture. It doesn't really bother me, but if anyone has any ideas let me know. Since the lights work must be something on the roms relay getting to the display. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, just wondering about the rumble feature, does anyone know if there is a way to turn it down? When it's on high it's really shaking the wood of the machine. It's a great feature on low, but just annoying / distracting on high. I know it can be turned off, but didn't notice if it can be turned down. I also really might just need to balance the machine better too.

#2 9 years ago

I had both and kept one, T2.
    JP is a good pin and many on here love it, i just find the reliability of T2 is second to none.

#3 9 years ago

Tough one, in my opinion T2 is the better game but JP has more modes and stuff. I'd have to go T2 also.

#4 9 years ago

T.2 all the way! Although i do really enjoy JP and the ladies do seem to love this game

#5 9 years ago

Both themes I love, but T2 takes the cake. Just a way better playing pin. Williams T2 is real smooth. DE's Jurassic park is a bit on the clunky side, as all DE seems to be imo.

get the T2.

#6 9 years ago

Just got a T2. Has great flow and whilst it has a simple ruleset it keeps you coming back for one more game.

#7 9 years ago

T2 all the waaaaaaayyyyyyyy!
    Do it so that Arnold can pay his child support!

Arnie.jpeg

Plus maybe GAP can get you one of his chrome aprons!
    His chrome T2 is sweet!

T2skirt.jpg

#8 9 years ago

JP. Better rules, better theme, cooler toys.

#9 9 years ago

t2 i think jp is a bit clunky as well. grew up on terminator so it will always be cool to me. yes jp does have a few more toys but i could play t2 for hours jp not so much and t2 looks wicked with leds! either way atleast you will have one in house and that the important thing.

#10 9 years ago

Never played JP, but I've owned T2 for a couple of weeks now. While it's cool, I just don't think it will have a lot of staying power with me. It has simple rules and annoyingly repetetive audio. Nice to have in a collection, but I wouldn't want it to be my only pin.

#11 9 years ago

Sounds like it's pretty close to a toss up. Would either one fetch a higher price on resale? As stated, they are both have the same asking price, so just thinking a few years down the road for a possible upgrade.

#12 9 years ago

My first owned pin was a T2. I think its a great place to start. Though not deep, as mentioned it was reliable and entertaining. I only sold it because 18 months was beyond my attention span and I wanted to move on to something new.

I played JP years ago on an work owned machine. I know I LIKED it, I just don't remember much about it.

If you take the time to play a couple of games on both, you will probably have a gut feeling as to which one you really want. Good luck!

#13 9 years ago

I liked T2 a lot back in the day. Haven't been as thrilled with it the last couple time I played it, though. Not sure why. I haven't played JP nearly as much, but it's pretty fun.

#14 9 years ago

I just sold a JP and it's ok ,, The Raptor Kick is Lightning Fast,, along with the Shaker motor,, ( Sucked Tho ) T2 now,, I just got my 2nd this week,, Took the CPU and MPU to be repaired at Jack's Pin Palace.. CPU needed a New Battery Pack and while I was goin there I had him solder me in some New P/F GI Male leg's and inspect the MPU board.. Cool Game , I'm Think-n about order-n the Profinity rom's.. But for $ 50.00 and the F-U A- Hole is heard maybe 2 times in 3 games... ( Nahhh !!! ) T2 All the way.. Not Deeep but Fun !!!
    ,,,, I want Jack's GNR,, but it's a Customer's.. We'll See. He's gonna ask .. Get T2 !!! Jack also has a DM that hasn't been repaired yet... Hmmm !!! I owned DM b-4--- Killer Pin..
    ,,, If you can find a No Fear--- Snag it... Led it... Good pin also.. I could keep goin on all day, but I'll STOP !!!

T2.jpg GNR_.jpg DM,,.jpg NF_and_JP_.jpg GNR.jpg

#15 9 years ago

I've had both. JP will probably be worth more down the road...but T2 is the better game IMHO

#16 9 years ago

Thanks for all the advise. I'll take all I can get. So far my reception talking with local pinballers has been very cold, just the oposite online. Seems like the locals just don't want any competition finding a good deal on a game. While, I am looking to buy a game, I was really just looking to network too. I might go with the T2 since it's a much shorter drive.

#17 9 years ago

Sorry to hear about the bad experience with the locals, in my neck of the woods everyone I have meet that is into pinball has been nice and glad to talk pinball. You could try looking for any local places that run weekly or monthly pinball tournaments, that is a good way to meet and play with local pinheads.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

So far my reception talking with local pinballers has been very cold, just the oposite online.

Sorry to hear that. I could put you in touch with a friend of mine who lives up your way, well near Madison at least. He's been doing a lot of pin shopping lately and helped me get an HSII and got a good lead on a Defender pinball for me to check out the next time I am up there.

#19 9 years ago

I prefer T2; fast and smooth though the rules are kinda simple. I am not a fan of the JP layout. Plus getting that Trex to work right is a nightmare from what I hear.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

getting that Trex to work right is a nightmare

It's too cold in Alaska for most dinosaurs to survive. I can see where this would be a problem.

#21 9 years ago

I think I'm going to go with JP. The person selling this will also be including two bonus arcade games that I'm interested in (one, I'm very-very interested in). I'll post pictures on Monday when they are hopefully sitting in my basement. Who knows, maybe I'll eventually pick up both games. Both, seem to be a good price. If I decided not to go with the T2, I'll post it on here to give someone else a shot at it.

#22 9 years ago

Nice to see another Wisconsin pinsider on the forums. There are few of us it seems... Welcome!

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Nice to see another Wisconsin pinsider on the forums. There are few of us it seems... Welcome!

Did you happen to see the Tales of the Arabian Nights machine listed in Madison a few weeks ago. I called the day the ad was listed but the guy said he already had 30+ calls.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Did you happen to see the Tales of the Arabian Nights machine listed in Madison a few weeks ago. I called the day the ad was listed but the guy said he already had 30+ calls.

Holy crap! I didn't see that one. TOTAN is on my short list of dream pins, but it rarely seems to come up for sale. When it does the price is usually so outlandish that I would be hard pressed to justify the purchase though.

Where did you see it posted? Ebay... Craig's List?

I haven't been able to come across much in the area lately. There was a RBION in Sun Prairie a number of months ago for a decent price. Kinda wishing I would have bought that one now... Snooze you lose as they say!

#25 9 years ago

It was on CL for $2300. One of my dream games, but until I win the lottery it's not going to be on my radar yet.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

It was on CL for $2300. One of my dream games, but until I win the lottery it's not going to be on my radar yet.

Unless that thing was beat to snot that would have been an amazing deal. I would have totally pulled the trigger on that (even if it were in rough shape)... Would have looked great next to my LOTR!

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Yes, my buddy called on it. They guy who got it tried telling the seller it was only worth $1500 or so. My buddy told him it was worth much more than that and that he was willing to pay more than his asking price. It finally sold for $2600 to the original guy. My friend was willing to pay up to 4k. Supposedly it was in pristine condition.

#28 9 years ago

BTW, I will be in the Madison area sometime in August to pick up my HS2 (if you watch CL, it was listed on there forever). I'm willing to deliver if there's something out here you're interested in or along my route. Price dependant on the PITA factor for me (maybe as cheap as a case of Schlitz). Free delivery if you can get a Black Hole from Minneapolis for me and bring it to Madison!

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Yes, my buddy called on it. They guy who got it tried telling the seller it was only worth $1500 or so. My buddy told him it was worth much more than that and that he was willing to pay more than his asking price. It finally sold for $2600 to the original guy. My friend was willing to pay up to 4k. Supposedly it was in pristine condition.

Too bad the original guy got it after trying to scam the seller like that. Like your friend, I too would have gone as far as 4K for that machine. Dream pin, pristine condition, and right in my backyard would have made it a no brainer.

BTW, I will be in the Madison area sometime in August to pick up my HS2 (if you watch CL, it was listed on there forever). I'm willing to deliver if there's something out here you're interested in or along my route. Price dependant on the PITA factor for me (maybe as cheap as a case of Schlitz). Free delivery if you can get a Black Hole from Minneapolis for me and bring it to Madison!

I'm going to be heading up to the Twin Cities area in mid-July for a few days. Whereabouts is the Black Hole at in Minneapolis? I'm sure we can work out a way for me to get it back to Madison for you. I'm even on the east side of town! In the meantime, I'll have to keep my eyes open for pins out your way. That would certainly open up my search radius a bit.

#30 9 years ago

I'd have to give the edge to T2

#31 9 years ago

Hmmm, this could work out rather well! It's at zip code 55413 right now and could be moved to 55437. If you give me a list of titles you are looking for I could keep my eyes peeled for them. I find that they are generally more expensive out here than in the midwest though, hence why I am filling the truck with them on my way back. I'll be driving through northern Ohio, northern Indiana and Chicago, so if you found something along the way and could arrange for me to pick it up thrn that might work too. Pinsiders helping Pinsiders...

#32 9 years ago

Picked up my Jurassic Park today. It was the pin, plus X-Men (4-Player) and Street Fighter EX for $1100. I'll probably look to sell the two arcades, although I might hang onto X-Men for awhile, it's one of the classic beat em ups. The pin was missing the topper and has a few bulbs out but seems to be a good playing condition. The switch in the control room triggers the missions and the T-Rex eats the ball, which from what I read are the most common issues.

#34 9 years ago

Here it is...

SD532549.JPG

SD532548.JPG

One additional problem I'm finding which might be "major" is the display. All the lights work, but there are a few of the missions where there are missing pixels. I guess I don't really know what they are called, but some of the small lights don't display creating holes in the picture. It doesn't really bother me, but if anyone has any ideas let me know. Since the lights work must be something on the roms relay getting to the display. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, just wondering about the rumble feature, does anyone know if there is a way to turn it down? When it's on high it's really shaking the wood of the machine. It's a great feature on low, but just annoying / distracting on high. I know it can be turned off, but didn't notice if it can be turned down. I also really might just need to balance the machine better too.

#35 9 years ago

That was a dang good deal. Nice find! I had to update the roms on my machine, older versions on JP do really weird stuff. I might pick up another one someday.

#36 9 years ago

Great find Mr. Peters...
    There was a thread a while back about powdercoating the coin door and gun (Or was it a Batman machine... ) ...
    Either way it looks like you will have your hands full for a little while...
    Ditch the EX machine and get a Turbo, Alpha 3 or 3rd strike machine in it's place and I will be there to challenge!

Good luck!

#37 9 years ago

I would try reseating the ribbon cable or a new ribbon cable. If you know someone with another pin you should be able to test with their ribbon cable.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I would try reseating the ribbon cable or a new ribbon cable. If you know someone with another pin you should be able to test with their ribbon cable.

Sorry, I'm new. Are most ribbon cables the same or are they game / brand specific? I have a friend who is a vendor so I can probably borrow one off of a Lethal Weapon 3 machine. Would that work? I'll first try an adjustment.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Ditch the EX machine and get a Turbo, Alpha 3 or 3rd strike machine in it's place and I will be there to challenge!

I think I might just try selling it to a frat. or someplace like that. I do agree though, the 3D with Street Fighter just doesn't fit right.

#40 9 years ago

As far as I know they are all interchangable as that size DMDs are interchangable. At any rate, the LW3 one should definitely work. Just make sure it has the same number of pins and Pin1 is in the correct spot (red wire). Do all the pixels work during the diagnostics test? If they do work during diagnostics and in certain modes but not in others, and the ribbon cable is fine, then the Video EPROMs may be corrupted and need to be reburned. Not sure what else to check after that.

Don't think you can turn down the shaker by the settings. I have only seen that on the newer Sterns. I think you can adjust the position of the weights on the shaker so it doesn't have as much force though.

#41 9 years ago

Pinsiders helping Pinsiders...

We're all in this together after all!

I'm just making sure a couple of things are lined up for next month and then I'll send you a Pinside mail so we can coordinate this thing. That'll shave a good 8 hours off your round trip.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

As far as I know they are all interchangable as that size DMDs are interchangable. At any rate, the LW3 one should definitely work. Just make sure it has the same number of pins and Pin1 is in the correct spot (red wire). Do all the pixels work during the diagnostics test? If they do work during diagnostics and in certain modes but not in others, and the ribbon cable is fine, then the Video EPROMs may be corrupted and need to be reburned. Not sure what else to check after that.
    Don't think you can turn down the shaker by the settings. I have only seen that on the newer Sterns. I think you can adjust the position of the weights on the shaker so it doesn't have as much force though.

All of the pixels work during the diagnostics test and in certain modes but not in others. I'll first check the ribbon cable. Then I'll try replacing the roms. I do think I'm already on 5.13 5.10, but I'll have to double check that too. If it's not the most current, I'll probably just buy a fullset off of eBay. I think someone on eBay had them for $15 shipped. I guess to me it sounds like a rom issue, but we'll see.

Thank you

#43 9 years ago

If it is working fine in Diag then the ribbon cable is probably fine. If the most recent ROM doesn't fix it, I have no idea what it could be.

Are the missing pixels all grouped together or spread out singularly accross the DMD? Just wondering if it is starting to outgas?

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Are the missing pixels all grouped together or spread out singularly accross the DMD? Just wondering if it is starting to outgas?

They seem to be mostly on the left, but during some things and the diagnostic test everything is super bright. It's also always out on the same graphics.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

rumble feature, does anyone know if there is a way to turn it down? When it's on high it's really shaking the wood of the machine.

JP only has an on/off adjustment for the shaker motor (Adj. 42). Unfortunately, there isn't an intensity setting. If your getting rattle most likely from translite quick fix for that would be just putting a few pieces of folded paper in between baxbox and translite to prevent rattle or damage.

#46 9 years ago

Another question if anyone happens to know.

I've never seen the ramp deverter trigger. The coil works during testing, but during gameplay the ball always goes to the right. Does anyone know when this should be triggering? Is there a mechanical switch somewhere or is it all controlled by the roms?

#47 9 years ago

If you hit more that one ramp in a row, the second shot should divert to the right.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

If you hit more that one ramp in a row, the second shot should divert to the right.

Thanks the second switch in the ramp must trigger the coil. It wasn't triggering correctly in my pin, but was a quick fix.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 45.00
    $ 16.00
    £ 50.00
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 164.00
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 23.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 229.99
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 199.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 81.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Apron Envy
    $ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Loop Combo Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside