20210513_171616 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20210510_075122 (resized).jpg
20210509_083748 (resized).jpg
20210509_200953 (resized).jpg
20210509_201122 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210509-145453_Chrome (resized).jpg
20210509_084610 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Weeedoggie:

Should I desolder the connections in that row to find the issue?

Yuu should only have to inspect the switches in row 4 to make sure that the white/yellow wire isn't grounded or broken off and touching ground. There are only 6 switches in that row as SW24 is nothing more than a diode on the coindoor interface panel, but you should still inspect the wires at J1 and J6.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Weeedoggie:

Ok thank you very much , so I didn't fry something on my board? Talking off the j212 eliminate that problem?

No, If you fried something on the board, the ground short would likely remain when removing the row connector. Did you remove only J212, or J209 as well? When I read the post I was was thinking you removed both the playfield and cabinet connectors; if only J212 was removed and J209 was still in place and the this changes things a little and moves the potential location to the cabinet as J212 goes directly to the coin door interface board for the cabinet switches.

#10 2 years ago

Other thoughts: Its also possible that the ground short remained with J212 removed and was not seen due to the "Check Fuses" error. The best thing to do is go into switch test to see if all of Row 4 is showing as closed or not.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Weeedoggie:

If the coin door bulb socked was grounding out could that cause this problem?

I don't see how it would be related.

#17 2 years ago

Just for clarification, can you post a picture of the switch matrix with J209 removed and another with it connected?

If Row 4 is the ONLY row that shows all switches closed across the row, then somewhere one of the White/Yellow wires for row 4 is pulling the row low all the time.

I suppose its also possible that the column 2 pulse could be stuck low all the time, if this is the case it would drive Row 4 low all the time through SW24. This is very easy to test, while in switch test if you close the coin door, only SW22 should show a closure, if all of Row2 closes you likely damaged U20 on the CPU board.

If you have a logic probe, the point of test is U20-17, or pin 2 on CPU headers J206, J207, and J212.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Weeedoggie:

Also now my test buttons don't work so I no longer can test any switch edges or even get into the test menu

These are direct ground switches and connect to J205 on the CPU board, make sure this cable stays connected.

#31 2 years ago

Your connector for the direct ground switches is off by a pin, you may want to correct this.

If you have a ground short in row 4 with J209 removed as shown in post 26, this problem is NOT caused by anything on the playfield since you disconnected all the row wiring from the entire playfield and the problem remained.

I'm trying to make diagnostics of this as easy as possible.

What does the switch matrix look like when you have the coin door closed?

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

and....when you get it working PLEASE get those batteries OFF the CPU board. They will leak eventually and cause you lots of problems.

I agree...Or just replace them with AA lithium batteries you wouldn't want bad things to happen to such a pristine looking board.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Weeedoggie:

I no longer have any ground shorts , but I get the check f114 and f115 fuse and gun can't find home

This alarm is caused by a failure of the switch matrix, you can measure your +12VR at TP3 on the power board to make sure its there as this is the voltage that powers the switch matrix. I can't recall if the logic for this alarm calls for all switches in the matrix to read open or just Switch 24; earlier you got this alarm by removing J212, so I assume its the later.

Quoted from Weeedoggie:

So with the shorts gone , it has to be a playfield issue ?

If removing only J209 clears the ground short than yes, the issue is on the playfield.

#46 2 years ago

I would be worried taking it anyone that isn't familiar with working on these old boards with tiny traces. I've seen work from repair technicians that made me shake my head in disbelief. You are better off taking it to someone familiar working on these boards, if they aren't capable of testing the entire switch matrix with the board out of the machine I wouldn't even think of letting them touch it.

#48 2 years ago

You just never know .... This board was "repaired" by a "competent technician" who was absolutely sure it could repair it:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

This is what it looked like under the chip:

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from Weeedoggie:

If i get them to put a socket in can they still possibly mess up that bad ?

The damage is done when removing the original IC, so yes.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

I think a lot of time the damage comes from trying to remove the old chip whole.

You mean like this?:

A board repair tech should be able to remove the IC, socket the board, and reinstall the same chip that was removed into the IC socket have have everything work when powered on.

#58 2 years ago

Sorry, I totally derailed this thread.

#62 2 years ago

The fuse in the damaged holder is for one of your GI lines, completely unrelated.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-ground-short-row-4-yellow-white-?tu=Pin_Guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.