20210513_171616 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20210510_075122 (resized).jpg
20210509_083748 (resized).jpg
20210509_200953 (resized).jpg
20210509_201122 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210509-145453_Chrome (resized).jpg
20210509_084610 (resized).jpg
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

Hmm

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from Weeedoggie:

If i get them to put a socket in can they still possibly mess up that bad ?

Sure can. The work needs to be done by someone COMPETENT soldering fine PCB tracks. There are plenty of 'butchers' out there (called this by the electronics trade for obvious reasons).

The issue is they must remove the old chip first and this is where the damage is done - fitting the new one (or a socket) is a doddle and almost anyone can do that.

The 'skill' part comes in the removal WITHOUT damaging the PCB. Most competent techs will either use a desoldering station OR cut the legs of the chip and remove the pins one by one then use desolder wick or other methods to clear the solder from the holes..

#53 3 years ago

I think a lot of time the damage comes from trying to remove the old chip whole. For the price of a new chip ($3 or so I think), I would sacrifice the old one and cut the legs as close to the plastic as possible. Then add fresh solder/flux to the top and bottom of each leg then lift them out one by one. Much easier and safer that way.

20191022_163320 (resized).jpg20191022_163320 (resized).jpg
#54 3 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

Sure can. The work needs to be done by someone COMPETENT soldering fine PCB tracks. There are plenty of 'butchers' out there (called this by the electronics trade for obvious reasons).
The issue is they must remove the old chip first and this is where the damage is done - fitting the new one (or a socket) is a doddle and almost anyone can do that.
The 'skill' part comes in the removal WITHOUT damaging the PCB. Most competent techs will either use a desoldering station OR cut the legs of the chip and remove the pins one by one then use desolder wick or other methods to clear the solder from the holes..

Could I just take in the board to get tested than to see if its truly fried , by a repair technician? They should be confident enough for that id figure ?

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from Weeedoggie:

Could I just take in the board to get tested than to see if its truly fried , by a repair technician? They should be confident enough for that id figure ?

Not really because they are unlikely to know how to connect it to power for testing.

If you don't feel comfortable using the local place just send the board off to one of the competent repairers on this forum and be done with it.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from Weeedoggie:

If i get them to put a socket in can they still possibly mess up that bad ?

The damage is done when removing the original IC, so yes.

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

I think a lot of time the damage comes from trying to remove the old chip whole.

You mean like this?:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

A board repair tech should be able to remove the IC, socket the board, and reinstall the same chip that was removed into the IC socket have have everything work when powered on.

#58 3 years ago

Sorry, I totally derailed this thread.

#59 3 years ago

Not really Pinguy - its a very fair warning. Coaching the OP not to trust his board to just anyone is very topical advice.

WPC boards are ridiculously fragile. Even with the right tools (solder sucker, temp controlled soldering station, etc), these boards are easily damaged.

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Weeedoggie:

Ok ill give that a try and take a picture
I also noticed my fuse holder for f110 has been cooked [quoted image]

Could the burnt fuse holder possibly be an issue, I know it needs to be replaced but could this possibly be the root of my problems ?

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from Weeedoggie:

Could the burnt fuse holder possibly be an issue, I know it needs to be replaced but could this possibly be the root of my problems ?

The fuse tests good
I went through them all , whomever hadcthe game before me had put a 7A 250 v fuse in it and in 2 other fuses that on the fuse list were 5a 250 fuses .

#62 3 years ago

The fuse in the damaged holder is for one of your GI lines, completely unrelated.

#63 3 years ago

Ok i was hoping that might be the issue and i could a least have a firm idea of the problem,
How much does it usually cost to get a chip replaced through a tech?

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from Weeedoggie:

Ok i was hoping that might be the issue and i could a least have a firm idea of the problem,
How much does it usually cost to get a chip replaced through a tech?

One other thing , could my coin door control board be the issue ?

2 weeks later
#65 3 years ago

U20 was the culprit, its replaced and socketed , and the batters are lithium
Everything works as it should thanks for all the help

20210527_171626 (resized).jpg20210527_171626 (resized).jpg
#66 3 years ago

GREAT news!

Always dive for U20 with switch issues particularly when it's socketed (well, it is now).

#67 3 years ago

Damn, wish I had seen this way earlier. I went through the same error (ground short row) on a a JM in 2016 and I too had to have U20 swapped. Could have saved you a lot of hassle and time. Glad you got it worked out though!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chandler, AZ
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lawrenceburg, IN
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

$ 9.95
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.