Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Schwaggs
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I'm working on a T2 pinball and have run up a issue with the general illumination. On the left side of the pin, the GI is completely out. The CPU chip on the middle playfield is also out. We have done all the basic things first...checked fuses, checked and replaced plugs on the power driver board. The usual trouble spot, J121 is fine and hasn't burned out. After all of this nothing.

We then replace the Logic Board and ROM twice as well as the power driver board. Still nothing. All of the wires in the harness are fine.

Any idea? Could it be the transformer or something like that? Any advice would be great! This is the last of 6 pins that were affected by an electrical issue in our arcade. This is also the last machine to be fixed and all the others are running beautifully in part to the advice of you guys!

Thanks.

#2 12 years ago

GI is a straight up problem usually. You changed some connectors, were they burnt? If so, chances are the pins from the board will meed to be replaced. When they get hot enough to burn connectors the pins are effected and start acting like resistors. From the pins, with connectors unplugged, test with a DMM and see what you get. Also, trace wires back to connectors for that side and test for continuity to make sure there are no breaks in the line. Good luck!

#3 12 years ago

It's possible that every bulb in that string is burnt out. You did check the bulbs right?

#4 12 years ago

I checked the bulbs and found that if I jump a bulb from a light on the right to a light on the left, the left lights all come on. We have had three boards in this machine, all functioning properly and it still happens.

This makes absolutely no sense. Every problem I have encountered in the 10+ years I've been working on machines has had a solution. I just can't think of anything else to do with this machine.

I appreciate the help though.

#5 12 years ago

R.I.P. T2. We don't have the money or the time to keep messing with this machine. It will now be transferred to our storage facility, indefinitely. Thanks for the help. 5 out of 6 aint bad!

#6 12 years ago

If the lights on the non-working side come on if you jumper between a bulb on non-working side and a bulb on the working side, then the problem is in the wiring harness.

Either the wire is broken between the GI string and the power board, or there's a break in the GI string itself, near the end closer to the power board.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from TZCLOCKed:

R.I.P. T2. We don't have the money or the time to keep messing with this machine. It will now be transferred to our storage facility, indefinitely. Thanks for the help. 5 out of 6 aint bad!

Are you selling it?

#8 12 years ago

Sounds like you got a short. Check to make sure none of those GI wires are touching a coil, flasher etc. Last time I had a problem like this on T2 the GI wire was touching a coil lug on the skull popper.

#9 12 years ago

If it was a short, it'd fail destructively (hopefully just nuking a fuse) when power was applied. Here, he's able to manually get power to the non-working side, and it doesn't blow fuses/

#10 12 years ago

Are you sure you rewired the connectors correctly. The manual for T2 is incorrect in the layout.

2 months later
#11 12 years ago

If you are interested, I actually solved this problem today. In a T2, with the left side GI out. The answer was that the particular line (purple/Q12/pin1) was not getting power from the transformer. It blew just that one line, which is really weird. If just one line is out, it's almost always the plug, but not in this case. Perhaps there is something in a T2 that makes it do this occasionally.

1 year later
#12 10 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

If you are interested, I actually solved this problem today. In a T2, with the left side GI out. The answer was that the particular line (purple/Q12/pin1) was not getting power from the transformer. It blew just that one line, which is really weird. If just one line is out, it's almost always the plug, but not in this case. Perhaps there is something in a T2 that makes it do this occasionally.

Did you mean transistor (Q12) or did you actually mean the transformer. I need to make sure because a friend has the same issue.

1 year later
#13 9 years ago

Just happened to me...me and Jr. We're having a blast playing and bam...whole left side gi out...hoping it's just a fuse but wondered where to go next if it's not....and after looking in back box I lost a line in the dmd...just coincidence...?...can moving the display and putting it back make it lose a line..?...sorry...noob here just starting out....Thank you........Joey

#14 9 years ago

reseat your dmd cables and it will probably fix the dmd problem. the left GI was out on mine when I bought it. check the fuse first, hopefully its that.

if not CadillacMusic here on pinside sent me this helpful info:

Here's the entire circuit that the left GI goes through: It comes in from the transformer, and passes through a connector in to the left side of the power board, on J 115 pin 2. It goes through fuse 106, and out through J120 and J121, pin 11 on both. That's a white wire with purple stripes. It goes through the lamps, and returns back through a solid purple wire to pin 6 on both. If the computer tells it to be on, it then goes through Q12. Q12 is the part that lets the computer control if it is on or not. If the computer lets it through, it goes to ground, back through J115, pin 1. The computer also tells it to be on through q11.

If any of those parts don't work, the whole thing won't. The first thing I'd do is check j115 pin 2, and make sure you have power there. Then check the right side of fuse 106, and make sure you have power there. Then, check pin 11. Make sure you have power there. If you do have power there, but no light, the problem is either Q12/Q11, a break in the solid purple line somewhere, or that the pin on j115 isn't hooking up to ground. Even if there's a break in the solid purple wire, you just need to solder the two ends together, not replace the whole wire.

#15 9 years ago

Weird.....my left side GI was out last night when I turned it on to play. About half way through a second game, they all came back on! Will see what happens tonight and keep this thread in mind. Coincidence? Maybe a solar flare that only affects left side T2 GI hit North America?!

#16 9 years ago

Yay......fuse did it..!!!....then had my best game yet....153 mill......then had to change 2 bulbs....lol........Joey

#17 9 years ago

Btw...that fuse was damn near cemented in there....thought I was going to break the board pulling on it...so I got a small flat head in one side and jimmied it out.......Joey

1 week later
#18 9 years ago

Well...it happened again. Left side GI went out, then came back on. Then out again, and no return to life. Gonna follow the steps described above in the next week or so when I get some time.

#19 9 years ago

I had the same problem with GI coming in and out. I repinned the GI connectors and fixed some of them. My problem ended up being the driver board J115 traces to the triacs being badly repaired and broken.

Follow troubleshooting procedure in the Pin Wiki here:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems

The simple test in the "On Board Problems" section helped me identify the problem traces.

If that ends up not being the problem, there are other tests described in the Wiki that can help you find the problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 21.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
$ 9.95
$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Harrisburg, PA
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-gi-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.