• Congo 51 votes
    54%
  • Getaway 33 votes
    35%
  • Terminator 2 11 votes
    12%

(95 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 4 years ago

Just wondering what, in your opinion, has the longest staying power in a collection? What gets old on each fast, etc? I know Congo is sort of flavor of the month right now....poll is up to vote!

#2 4 years ago

T2 is an OK game with a great theme. Congo is a great game with an OK theme. HS2 is the best of both worlds

#3 4 years ago

I've owned Getaway and Congo...Getaway was way too easy for me, so while I liked the shots and flow got very boring fast, to the point where every game was an attempt to see if I could get three balls in the supercharger at the same time. Happened a few times. Always awesome.

Congo is the new kid on the block, but I can already tell that it's going to last a LOT longer than Getaway did.

Have never owned T2, and for the price, frankly, I think the game is overrated. It would be another story if T2 was typically a 1500 game...but it's not. I actually like T3 better, I realize I'm likely in a huge minority on that, but it is what it is.

#4 4 years ago

Congo is by far the best of those 3. Without question in my mind.

#5 4 years ago

Agree with Director

HS2 and T2 are good WCP pins to own. Classics. But, they will get old hat after awhile.

Congo is special and is a GREAT wpc pin.

easy choice imo.

#6 4 years ago

"Have never owned T2, and for the price, frankly, I think the game is overrated. It would be another story if T2 was typically a 1500 game...but it's not. I actually like T3 better, I realize I'm likely in a huge minority on that, but it is what it is."

I am not a big fan of T2 but they pop up around 1500.00 - $1,800.00 quite often around here.

#7 4 years ago

Getaway all the way. Good Ritchie speed and flow, awesome and classic theme. T2 is a good alternate, but not as fun as Getaway.

Congo is just meh. Had one for 3 years, and while the music is great, it's just a bunch of disconnected modes that occur periodically as you accumulate MAP, ZINJ and GREY letters. The main toy looks neat until you realize you just have to beat on the flippers to complete it every time. Wizard mode that is basically the main multiball with the bottom PF enabled (more flailing). I did like the skillfire mode and the volcano barfing balls all over the place (leave the tab busted off the top for "ball is wild" fun) .. but wasn't worth keeping the whole game for.

#8 4 years ago

I own Getaway so I am biased. It is a fairly simple, easy game with a little practice. I still have a lot of fun playing it and I feel like a pro when getting super jackpots. Games with complicated rules and choppy gameplay don't do it for me. Maybe I will change my mind in the future and get tired of Getaway. I like T2 as well but like the theme of Getaway a little better. Never played Congo so no opinion on that. From my limited experience, Congo seems to be the harder game to find and more expensive.

#9 4 years ago

Great insight, guys. Thanks. Keep those opinions coming.

#10 4 years ago

My vote is for The Getaway over Congo, especially since you will save about $1k.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

My vote is for The Getaway over Congo, especially since you will save about $1k.

This part is true. If you have an equal opinion of all three, Getaway typically is the cheapest option out of the three. I still think Congo has better shots and rules by far, but it's really hard to say that the Supercharger isn't one of the coolest things ever put in a pin.

MOAR RAILGUNS!

#12 4 years ago

I would say Congo and played some games at the Expo and location.
I have owned T2 for at least 12 years and plan it keep it (first it's in great condition, also they rules and play are simple, have some unique features. and family members love the game).

I only played a frew games on Getaway and it was ok not anything close to my Indy 500 for play and fun.

#13 4 years ago

Guys who enjoy Getaway...does the theme music drive you nuts after awhile? I had to get rid of Creature for that very reason.

#14 4 years ago

CONGO and it gets better all the time.

#15 4 years ago

Miss my Congo, do not miss others.

#17 4 years ago

Congo is UNIQUE. Very different approach to rules and layout. The gorilla is a no-concern, IMO. Useless, but doesn't take away from the game to me. Just a sidebar.

Getaway is a thrilling romp (I loved mine when it worked) but easily mastered and you will see red light mania and super jackpot REGULARLY if you are any good at pinball. Still, a thrilling romp...for a while. (NOTE: High Speed is more fun!)

T2 was FANTASTIC when it came out and basically invented modern flow. However, it is even easier to master than Getaway and after maxing the objectives and getting three super jackpots (learn the cannon timing) in a game, it loses some of the luster.

I would rate the games in that order.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

Guys who enjoy Getaway...does the theme music drive you nuts after awhile? I had to get rid of Creature for that very reason.

I was worried that the music and gameplay would get old after a while but that has not happened. I think the music is great and so are the callouts and other sounds. Video mode is the only thing that bores me now. There is not much to it but it's still one of the better video modes from the early 90's.

Another thing I like about Getaway is that it's easy for others to understand how to play - especially kids. My two 10 yr old boys have gotten pretty good and can get to redline mania.

#19 4 years ago

I haven't owned a Congo. Mostly because I never wanted to. And I have played it. Doesn't do anything for me.

Getaway was a blast! It was a lot of fun, but it went away.

T-2 is the eternal classic. The machine that started a pinball revolution and revival. There is a good reason they sold over 15,000 of them. I'm keeping mine. Unless I can find a better one.

#20 4 years ago

It does not get much better than Congo and side bar >> It has been the flavor of the month for over 2 years now so that should tell you something...

People will say I am biased since I own Congo, but in reality this is a game I will be sinking so much money into to restore to better than new because it is sooOOOOOooooo good that I will never be selling it.

TBT IMHO your comparison is just silly as the other 2 can't even come close to the greatness of the gorilla!

#21 4 years ago

This is all very helpful, guys. I played all 3 at VFW pinball back in May, and enjoyed all of them. Is there a video mode in Congo?

#22 4 years ago

I've owned T2 long gone, no regrets, I currently own Getaway (awesome pin), never owned or played Congo. I've owned 150 late models pins. I've heard some great things about Congo... maybe it should be on my radar.

#23 4 years ago

There IS a video mode in Congo. And it's the best of the three.

#24 4 years ago

Getaway, Congo, T2 in that order.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Getaway, Congo, T2 in that order.

WOW!! A kwiki sighting!!!!

#26 4 years ago

Getaway has been with me for 2 years now and every time I think I might sell it I just can't follow through. The music and sounds have never gotten old to me. It's not a difficult game but it's always a thrill to score super jackpots and hit Red Line Mania. The game really ramps up the music/sounds and light show when you get it going.

People who do not normally play a lot of pinball play my Getaway the most.

T2 is a fun pin that I enjoy every time I come across one. I'm afraid it would not last in my small collection so I have avoided purchasing one so far.

Have not spent any real time on Congo.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Agree with Director
HS2 and T2 are good WCP pins to own. Classics. But, they will get old hat after awhile.
Congo is special and is a GREAT wpc pin.
easy choice imo.

Glad you're still liking the Congo Blackbeard...I got some good use out of it but it was time to move on. I'm keeping Funhouse....great Lawlor game. Glad it worked out well for both of us.

#28 4 years ago

Forgot the thread for a minute...I vote for Getaway. Mine is beautiful and plays great. Still get a charge out of the Supercharger and Mars light...

#29 4 years ago

Closer than I thought it would be. Thought Congo would run away and hide.

#30 4 years ago

look at production #s not many congos around most people never played one so how would they know they like or dislike it there is a bout 6 getaways and 7 t2's for every congo +or-

#31 4 years ago

HS2, no doubt. Congo is fun, but a dog compared to HS2 for pure fun.

#32 4 years ago

No contest, congo all the way!

Getaway and t2 are way too shallow to last long outside arcade environment. T2 is even rules imbalanced towrd only multiball. Congo is beautiful, fun and with more of estate even if rules make it bit more linear than it could have been

#33 4 years ago

Getaway by a mile

#34 4 years ago

Flavor of the year still looking for one.....

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

Glad you're still liking the Congo Blackbeard...I got some good use out of it but it was time to move on. I'm keeping Funhouse....great Lawlor game. Glad it worked out well for both of us.

By far my favorite pin hogey, although gnr is growing on me. I couldn't seem to get into FH or lawlor for that matter.

#36 4 years ago

Getaway was my first pin, traded it for a JP (which has since been sold) and later bought a beautiful condition Getaway. I own Congo also. Both Congo and HS2 are staying in my collection. Don't own T2 but have put a few games on it but not enough to truly judge. Getaway needs to be set up and everything needs to work perfectly, diverter, supercharger, ramp flamp, kickout to the tunnel saucer, etc. or you will not enjoy. Congo has lots of modes, multi-balls and some unique ones, like jungle jackpot, skillfire shots, super mult-ball. The Volcano shot is a very satisfying shot. As mentioned above, the underplayfield gray gorilla is easy to beat, but it is still fun to get. Multiball in both Congo and HS2 go pretty fast and I fell like HS2 is more difficult to blow up the game, the inner loop shot for superjackpot is a tough one.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

look at production #s not many congos around most people never played one so how would they know they like or dislike it there is a bout 6 getaways and 7 t2's for every congo +or-

This is an important thing for many of the lower production titles. Many people have never played a congo, let alone a properly working congo.

Factor in the support/production # equation and Congo is even more clearly the winner of this match up.

Just go buy a Congo. Reality is that if you decide it is not a keeper, there are plenty of other people looking for it and not many floating around for sale.

#38 4 years ago

My tech came and worked on my Congo when it had a minor problem. Fired it up, played a few games, and bought one the next week (don't know how he found one that quick). He'd never played it, and now he loves it.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

I actually find I really enjoy the music. I was worried that ZZ Top would really grate on me over time, but it doesn't at all. The game has a shallow rule set, but very satisfying shots overall. Redline Mania get's my blood pumping

#40 4 years ago

Congo = Spell Grey..bash flippers. Spell Grey..bash flippers. Spell Grey...bash flippers. Spell Grey...bash flipper. 'Wizard' mode

Blah...boring as hell

HS2>T2>Congo

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Congo = Spell Grey..bash flippers. Spell Grey..bash flippers. Spell Grey...bash flippers. Spell Grey...bash flipper. 'Wizard' mode
Blah...boring as hell
HS2>T2>Congo

LERN 2 ZINJ.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

#42 4 years ago

yea, i never really cared for congo.. it has some nice shots and i like the volcano but thats about it. that cheap plastic monkey underneath and the theme really kill it for me. My evolution in the hobby has come full circle and gone back to theme.. it sounds funny but when your talking KEEPER you've really gotta like all aspects of the game. that being said: i find getaway and t2 better (and cheaper) than congo.. with t2 having the better theme. I own a getaway as others say its kinda shallow but fast as hell and good for when ya just wanna play some damn pinball, enjoy a good lightshow, drink some beer, and have fun. i think t2 may shine a bit more when playing against friends.. but playing on your own its a toss up between t2 and getaway. always an attention getter when the becon is spinning around

#43 4 years ago

I say The Getaway because it's pure adrenaline going for super jackpots. All 3 are good games tho and wouldn't mind owning the other 2 as a replacement. Variety is good.

#44 4 years ago

I have a congo and it's my favorite machine. I also have a t3 because I find t3 to have the same layout as t2 but I find t3 to be a much better game then t2.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
4,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monmouth, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.00
$ 28.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rochester, NY
$ 17.99
Playfield - Decals
Lermods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hackettstown, NJ
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
€ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Multigame
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Machine - For Sale
Griswold, CT
€ 4.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Multigame
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 109.99
$ 131.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside