Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Asylum
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Terminator2.jpg
    after.jpg
    before.jpg
    RTside.jpg
    LTside.jpg
    LTMasked.jpg
    PaintSemiGloss.jpg
    T2-10.jpg
    T2-9.jpg
    T2-8.jpg
    T2-7.jpg
    T2-6.jpg
    T2-5.jpg
    T2-3.jpg
    T2-2.jpg
    T2-4.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Worked out a deal with a local operator to fix-up his dead inventory. I'd just gotten a T2 working nicely when he called and said the only pin he had left on route died. I told him that the T2 ready to go and it would be dropped off tomorrow.

After 2 months in my garage, I was excited to be releasing one 'Back into the Wild'. When this little orphan showed up on my door-step it was in terrible shape. No power, no sound, dirty as hell, but there was hope.

T2-1.jpgT2-1.jpg T2-4.jpgT2-4.jpg T2-2.jpgT2-2.jpg T2-3.jpgT2-3.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Rebuilt J115 / J120 / J121 connectors, re-chromed the gun assembly, had to replace IC chips U20 & U8, new VUK, new speaker panel, repainted black portions of cab, rebuilt flippers and new start button, rebuilt coin slots and painted door, LEDs in playfield and backbox (not GI), black legs and more.
    T2-5.jpgT2-5.jpg T2-6.jpgT2-6.jpg T2-7.jpgT2-7.jpg T2-8.jpgT2-8.jpg

The new school Terminator in the background looking on in approval.
    T2-9.jpgT2-9.jpg

I wouldn't call it a complete restoration, but a mild one. Without new plastics and side decals available it's about the far as I could take this one. Many, many thanks to Lloyd and Chris Hibler, they provided a huge hand in giving tips and advice getting it to 100%.
    Glad to see it 'Back in the Wild' where this T2 can be re-introduced to a younger generation. Have it set for 3 plays for $1 and 5 Balls per game. Just hope they play it....
    T2-10.jpgT2-10.jpg

#3 10 years ago

great job!!!! how much to re-chrome the gun handle mine needs it bad. thanks joe

#4 10 years ago

Nice work.

#5 10 years ago

Silly question...

What did you use to clean the section under the lock down bar? I noticed in your first pic it was all grimy and rusty but was looking beautiful and clean after you showed it a bit of 'attention'..

Also.. what black paint do you recommend for the cabinet touch ups?

Cheers,

#6 10 years ago

Spectacular work. Thank you for sharing with us.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from joe2012:

great job!!!! how much to re-chrome the gun handle mine needs it bad. thanks joe

Thanks, took gun handle to a local plating company for $105...said it would take them a week to finish...and 3 weeks later I was still waiting for an answer. It was starting to seem like since it wasn't a motorcycle or antique car part, my little pinball thingy was taking a backseat. In the meanwhile, I had talked to Mike Chestnut ([email protected]) who could have done it a bit cheaper and probably faster. I'll be using Mike on future jobs, since he's done most every type of pinball part before and has respect for the job.

#8 10 years ago

Holy crap that's amazing! It looks brand new. Do mine now please.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from chinosts:

Silly question...
    What did you use to clean the section under the lock down bar? I noticed in your first pic it was all grimy and rusty but was looking beautiful and clean after you showed it a bit of 'attention'..
    Also.. what black paint do you recommend for the cabinet touch ups?
    Cheers,

Wire brush attachment to a power drill, then a little metal polish cleaned it up nicely! Nothing special for the paint either, just a spray can of 2x Paint/Primer Black Rustoleum from home depot (Semi-Gloss on Cab / Gloss on Coin Door and Legs).

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from BR80:

Wire brush attachment to a power drill, then a little metal polish cleaned it up nicely! Nothing special for the painted legs either, just a spray can of Rustoleum - Black Gloss from home depot.

Cool... I'm guessing you removed it from the cabinet first?

For the black paint.. I was more interested in what paint you used to patch up the artwork etc. on the black bits of the cabinet...

Cheers,

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from chinosts:

Cool... I'm guessing you removed it from the cabinet first?
    For the black paint.. I was more interested in what paint you used to patch up the artwork etc. on the black bits of the cabinet...
    Cheers,

Sorry, misread your question...edited my answer above
    For cab touch ups used:
    Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X 12-oz. Semi-Gloss Black General Purpose Spray Paint PaintSemiGloss.jpgPaintSemiGloss.jpg

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from BR80:

Sorry, misread your question...edited my answer above
    For cab touch ups used:
    Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X 12-oz. Semi-Gloss Black General Purpose Spray Paint

Awesome.. I will look for the equivalent here in AUS... A trip down to Bunnings may be in order!

Was it easy to remove the 'under lockbar' section to clean?

#13 10 years ago

Awesome, I will also be releasing a T2 back into the wild that was sitting in the basement of a bar for 10 years. Arnold lives

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from motorbreth77:

Awesome, I will also be releasing a T2 back into the wild that was sitting in the basement of a bar for 10 years. Arnold lives

Its wasn't the same bar that was in that movie with Jodie Foster was it?

#15 10 years ago

Was it easy to remove the 'under lockbar' section to clean?

Nah very easy to remove, three bolts from the back if I remember right.
    Here are a few more pics of the touch-ups. The spray paint came out better than I expected, although anything was an improvement from the mess that was already on the cab.

LTMasked.jpgLTMasked.jpg
    Counldn't save the Williams Logo
    LTside.jpgLTside.jpg
    Saved it on this side, just not a good angle from here.
    RTside.jpgRTside.jpg before.jpgbefore.jpg after.jpgafter.jpg

#16 10 years ago

Looks like you need a new HK ship?

#17 10 years ago

Awesome T2, all the best,

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Looks like you need a new HK ship?

Thanks all - Yea, lots of things still need to be replaced. The tail was broken off the H/K, almost every plastic was chipped, cracked or missing...plus horrible wear on the insert decals. It now plays great, but still has a lot of cosmetic issues. Which is why this one was a perfect candidate to go back on route. When I started working on it, plans were for it to end up in someone's home, but after seeing all the wear and tear...it's better off back in public.

#19 10 years ago

As I was looking at the pictures, the music that plays when Arnold was riding the bike and shooting locks off of the gates was playing in my head... that snapping drum one... Not GNR, the instrumental stuff.

2 months later
    #20 10 years ago

Stopped into check on the T2 and he's still working well with no graffiti carved into the glass yet.
    After a remodel of the bowling alley, he's also been moved over next to his younger cousin.
    The pin looks tiny now, next to the new larger machines around it.
    Terminator2.jpgTerminator2.jpg

#21 10 years ago

Great job buddy!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-from-doa-to-back-in-the-wild and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.