• Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-15 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hey guys. I move games in my prius but i'm limited to games where the head/backbox can come off.
Does anyone with a Terminator 2/ Williams game of that era know the answer? I know some games have a big ribbon thing and you can leave the head connected but off to the side.

thanks in advance.

Space wokka

#2 6 years ago

You can take the head off but you'll need to remove about a dozen connectors and unbolt the head from the game. It's not really the best thing to do. You may want to rent a truck or van.

#3 6 years ago

It's kind of a pain to do on WPC games, but yes, it's possible. Just take plenty of photos of the connectors to make sure you don't get any of them mixed up.

#4 6 years ago

I would definitely ask a friend for vehicle help before going to those measures for moving a T2. Probably would save some time and potential headaches!

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

You can take the head off but you'll need to remove about a dozen connectors and unbolt the head from the game. It's not really the best thing to do.

That's a massive understatement - it's probably about 30 connectors. I have removed heads on these games many times, sometimes it really is something where you don't have a choice - tight doorways and staircases etc. I wouldn't recommend doing this unless it's absolutely needed. It's a huge pain in the ass and a lot can go wrong, especially on an almost 30-year old game with those old-style crimp connectors and especially if you aren't very experienced.

If the limitation is because of doorway width, you can always just undo the hinges and twist the head sideways to get it in the door, but of course this requires a bit of finesse and its a two-man job at least.

#6 6 years ago

I had to do it after a mistake with a rental car. I say go for it. Good learning experience. Instead of pictures, I marked all connectors with a Sharpie. Good stuff.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's kind of a pain to do on WPC games, but yes, it's possible. Just take plenty of photos of the connectors to make sure you don't get any of them mixed up.

If the connectors are factory original and not generic aftermarket housings with trifurcons the connectors will be individually keyed so that they can't be mixed up.

When you go to reattach them the wiring loom will also bend back to its original layout after 25 years locked in that position so the connectors will naturally come to resting in the correct general location on each board making it virtually plug in and move to the next one.

10 minutes to unplug and another 20 to replug them all back in once you get home.

Only other things will be the DMD ribbon cable alignment (red stripe for reference) and undo the wire from the grounding point nut.

Use this as your reference - it's all colour coded. I haven't bothered to mark them with the corresponding "J" number for years.

image-15 (resized).jpgimage-15 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

Hell ya it comes off! Thats the only way I could get machines in my basement at my old house. I took everything off from 80's Gottliebs, to WPC's to WOZ!

#9 6 years ago

You can rent a trailer from uhaul for around $25.

#10 6 years ago

I do this with all my games to squeeze them up the tight stairs of my apartment building. Key is to remove the cables/connectors while the game is still on its legs. I write the connector number (Jxxx) on the side. Push them down into the cab, remove the head.

I take it one step further and remove the playfield to make it lighter/easier to move upstairs. Definitely a two person job!
Use the cable management and you'll be fine.

#11 6 years ago

Take plenty of pictures of the connectors. Bring a sharpie and number or mark them so you know they are connected correctly.

It is a pain but not that big of a deal. I had to move a HS2 by myself from upstairs with no help. Owner said get it now so no time to wait for help. I disconnected everything. Took the play field out and moved it piece by piece downstairs. Got it home and plugged everything in...took my time and double checked all connections and it fired up no problem. You can do it!!!

#12 6 years ago

I made the mistake of trying to transport a F-14 Tomcat in my Cadillac SRX. The car is about a half inch to short too transport a folded pin. So I disconnected all the cables and removed the head to transport. I thought I’d be able to easily hook everything back up when I got it home (I'd done it before with older Bally games and it was simple). Boy was I wrong. I ended up having to have my tech come out and plug eveything back together. He even discovered I had mistakenly plugged something into the wrong spot. Thank God I didn’t power it up. I was cursing myself for not renting a Uhaul pickup truck to move it!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

You can rent a trailer from uhaul for around $25.

But a small trailer can be a rough ride for games.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I made the mistake of trying to transport a F-14 Tomcat in my Cadillac SRX. The car is about a half inch to short too transport a folded pin. So I disconnected all the cables and removed the head to transport. I thought I’d be able to easily hook everything back up when I got it home (I'd done it before with older Bally games and it was simple). Boy was I wrong. I ended up having to have my tech come out and plug eveything back together. He even discovered I had mistakenly plugged something into the wrong spot. Thank God I didn’t power it up. I was cursing myself for not renting a Uhaul pickup truck to move it!

Sometimes, you can detach the backbox and slide it down the cabinet a few inches due to the slack in the bundles of cables. That sometimes gives enough clearance if you only need a little bit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
PinSound

$ 27.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-does-the-back-box-come-off and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.