t2 Cannon motor sluggish and wont find home

By billsfanmd

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Motor does an endless search on start up. Get an error message that it cant find home....Figured this would be easy so I checked the 2 switches underneath and they both work fine....Get no other switch errors. when the motor is searching back and forth it goes fine and then slows down like its dead then comes back to life and runs great then slows down. Does this till I power off.

In test it says calibrating please wait but it goes back and forth forever. Was hoping this means motor is good but not sure...It actually works pretty well when your playing the game but want to get this fixed...

#2 7 years ago

How long is forever? From what I remember it takes a few minutes, longer than I would expect, for the gun calibration to complete. You verified both home and mark switches work, was that by manual pressing them in switch test or actually seeing they work during the gun calibration? Watch both switches during gun calibration and ensure they are getting triggered. The mark switch may need adjustment if the cannon is not activating it towards the bottom of its path.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Watch both switches during gun calibration and ensure they are getting triggered.

Elaborating on this a little, it's possible for the switches to work when you press them manually, but the cannon mechanism might not press them down quite far enough in order for them to be triggered, so they might need to be adjusted (or replaced) if this is the case.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Elaborating on this a little, it's possible for the switches to work when you press them manually, but the cannon mechanism might not press them down quite far enough in order for them to be triggered, so they might need to be adjusted (or replaced) if this is the case.

Forever is like 5 min at game start and then in gun test it says please wait for 2-3 min

Thx. since I cant move cannon by hand how can i see a successful trigger when gun is rotating? hook up dmm and tone for cont. when triggered?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

hook up dmm and tone for cont. when triggered?

Yep

#6 7 years ago

I know one switch is a rollover that the round gear roolls over. The other is a leg and the short rod activates it.

#7 7 years ago

hooked up dmm...switches work fine...as soon as the rollover arm enters the rounded groove the switch goes out and when it travels just past the groove it activates the whole time...the other switch with the long arm activates as soon as it encounters the little metal activator shaft...

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

hooked up dmm...switches work fine...as soon as the rollover arm enters the rounded groove the switch goes out and when it travels just past the groove it activates the whole time...the other switch with the long arm activates as soon as it encounters the little metal activator shaft...

In that case just let the calibration run via the test menu for a while, at least 10 minutes if it needs it. That may solve the issue. If it consistently hits the home and mark switches it will pass. It goes through many cycles so be patient.

#9 7 years ago

In that case just let the calibration run via the test menu for a while, at least 10 minutes if it needs it. That may solve the issue. If it consistently hits the home and mark switches it will pass. It goes through many cycles so be patient.

plus the battery holder is bad so each time I turn it on it may try and redo that test....replacing the holder this week

#10 7 years ago

Ran for about 5 min. Finally stayed up top. No more error messsage. Thx!

1 week later
#11 7 years ago

Even though it's fixed and no credit dot. Still feels like it takes forever once ball loads to travel to lowest target. Started ball search before I fired. Thought I read the connector harness for the cannon can cause issues. I think pinball fantasies sells replacement connector

#12 7 years ago

If the entire assembly has never been rebuilt (including the motor gearbox) take it apart and clean it.
Very light silicon grease is applied to the cannon post where the the solenoid assembly sits after cleaning.
Carefully open the motor box and re lube the pinion gears if they are gunked up.
If the last part makes you feel uncomfortable, don't do it.
This would also be an excellent time to replace the cannon loom as this the #1 cause of home, targeting, and launch failures.
Ensure there is sufficient slack on the wire harness so it does not bind or drag by using appropriate zip ties.
Looms are less than $10-15.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

If the entire assembly has never been rebuilt (including the motor gearbox) take it apart and clean it.
Very light silicon grease is applied to the cannon post where the the solenoid assembly sits after cleaning.
Carefully open the motor box and re lube the pinion gears if they are gunked up.
If the last part makes you feel uncomfortable, don't do it.
This would also be an excellent time to replace the cannon loom as this the #1 cause of home, targeting, and launch failures.
Ensure there is sufficient slack on the wire harness so it does not bind or drag by using appropriate zip ties.
Looms are less than $10-15.

thx...i read about the loom...who sells it again?

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

thx...i read about the loom...who sells it again?

found it ...thx

#15 7 years ago

Where

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-cannon-motor-sluggish-and-wont-find-home and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.