New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 65801)

T2 buying advice

By vex

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by 27dnast
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

T2-10.jpg
T2-09.jpg
T2-08.jpg
T2-06.jpg
T2-05.jpg
T2-04.jpg
T2-03.jpg
T2-02.jpg
T2-01.jpg

#1 6 years ago

what should i look for in terms of potential problems and general areas of concern when looking over this machine?

a friend of mine that plays at my home often wants his own and has a t2 lined up for 800$ .

it sounds like a routed game for it's entire life but will look at it tomorrow.

any advice or wisdom would be appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

$800 is a nice price.

It's a pretty rock solid game.

Just make sure the cannon works.

Check that the hunter ship and skull are there and intact. They're cosmetic but a bummer to replace. Wouldn't call it a deal breaker at that price though.

Check the boards .. Like acid leak from the batteries.

Playfield wear, chipped inserts.

The drop target under the skull. I've replaced that on both T2s I've owned.

#3 6 years ago

Moved to buying and selling advice sub forum.

#4 6 years ago

$800 is a good price. if it plays and the pf and boards look good buy it.

#6 6 years ago

we went to look at the machine, in a Laundrymat . dmd was half working, playfield filthy of course and almost down to the wood. no key for back box. the machine was coming apart at the front left leg seam

this T2 has been whoring its entire life. i tried to do an audit on games played but couldn't read the dmd.

so my friend still wants it, his first machine. the owner says yes to 800$ but has to phone his son to confirm. turns out the son thinks its worth 1000$ now.

my friend drew the line at 800 and i wouldn't pay that much after looking it over.

now he is even more committed on getting a T2 for his game room, the hunt continues.

#7 6 years ago

That DMD is a $200 dollar fix. The way it sounds like it probably is a 600 dollar game

#8 6 years ago

yeah, i'm not cheap but i would rather pay more for something not on life support

#9 6 years ago

Walk away.

#10 6 years ago

What HE said! ^^^^^^^

1 month later
#11 6 years ago

... So I'm the friend. First time poster so be kind.
As Vex had mentioned, I was going to buy it at $800 last month when the owner decided he was sitting on a gold mine and wanted a grand. I walked away but felt that he might reconsider in the future. He did and texted me yesterday with a sell price of $750.00 including a box of parts. I'm still really skeptical about this pin so I went down and took some pic's to post here and grab some pro advice. My intention would be a complete restoration so if it is to far gone I am not interested. I will point out some problems that I found but I am a novice when it comes to evaluating a pin.

1) Cabinet is trashed. It is even coming apart at the seams.
T2-01.jpg

2) DMD is probably history. No key for back glass so I was unable to inspect.
T2-02.jpg

more to come...

#12 6 years ago

3) Couple of solder points on rail have separated. Looks like someone tried to do manual repair, dripped solder onto side of cabinet. Ball still travels through perfectly though.
T2-03.jpg

4) Right flipper is offset. Both seem to function quite well.
T2-04.jpg

and more...

#13 6 years ago

5) Ya, the playing field looks brutal to this novice. Its basically like this throughout. Down to the wood in that one spot at upper right of teeth.
T2-05.jpg

6) Most (if not all) of the static targets seem to work, but look like this...
T2-06.jpg

still more...

#14 6 years ago

These T2's can be found quite often. I would pass. The game is trashed and has a ton of issues. Your going to spend hours cleaning it, fixing and buying parts. Walk away.

#15 6 years ago

i would buy it make a players game out of it . use it as a learning experience. if you really end up liking the game save some cash along the way and look for a minty one. i would not over invest in this pin just have fun with it. it will help develop you pinball-ninja skills LOL good luck with what ever you decied to do.

#16 6 years ago

Sad to see it in such bad shape. Looks like a mega restoration project. Hope it doesn't end up getting scrapped in the end as doesn't look playable anymore like that.

Think he should be happy for someone to just take it away never mind giving him money also.

#17 6 years ago

At $750 here's your tally

1- You can't look at acid damage because you don't have the keys to the backbox. I would go to home depot get teh right screw driver $10-$15 bucks and unscrew the lock. Check for burn molex connectors, and acid damage even before committing to this.

2. If you get this you'll have to pay $200 for a new DMD unless it's just cracked pins that are preventing the display to perform properly.

3. A lot of playfield cleaning and at this point probably a new playfield in the future but since you'll have to take the machine apart to clean in all I suggest you try to find a T2 playfield. $750 ish. You could also get an artist to repaint the wood areas as they are mostly black and then get the playfield clearcoated.

4. probably will have to change some switches, lights etc...

5. The corner cab would have to be glued with epoxy.

At $750 it's somewhat high because of all the work you will have to go into this. If you wish to learn and don't mind spending $750.... You can find T2 deals once in a while $1500-$2500 range and you won't have to break your balls or your wallet to enjoy the pin. But if you decide to buy...it will be a real learning experience.

Check #1 before committing. Boards will kills this deal if they are damaged. And since he doesn't have the keys. Who knows when the batteries were last changed.

As is $600-650.

#18 6 years ago

If you want a project, this looks like one. If you can get it at 750 - might not be too bad but I would be carefull about the pf wear. The cabinet separtion can be fixed easily.

#19 6 years ago

7) Skull drop target is missing but mechanism seems to work fine and skull is in good shape. Hunter/Killer Ship is not attached but still there in a couple pieces.
T2-08.jpg

Playfield Underside - I don't even know what to look for here but everything seemed ok. I was wondering if the wiring was running hot though since it looked like heat marking on the wood along some of the wiring harnesses near the flipper. I also thought that I could even smell it but not sure.
T2-09.jpg
T2-10.jpg

and finally...

#20 6 years ago

Things that make me think maybe I should get it:
All the ball ejectors seem to work quite well. Cannon loads and shoots hard. Skull ejects hard. Flippers seem to work well. Ball return ejector works but the ball is not detected. You have to wait for ball search to eject in order to start a new ball (should be easy fix I would imagine). Ramps and wire frames perform great. I figure if all these major mechanical items work well it comes down to the play field condition, DMD and cabinet.

Looking forward to all feedback. Thanks in advance.

Manhattan

#21 6 years ago

The inside looks clean-ish. This pinball playfield hasn't prob ably been cleaned in a decade.

#23 6 years ago

Fixing the flipper alignment is a 2 minute adjustment.

That is a very dirty playfield! That one bare spot looks to be easy to make workable.

The dark wires under the playfield would worry me if they were burned but it looks to be dirt from the flipper mechnism.

Targets look like typical condition for a routed pin. They can be adjusted and bent back into position or you can buy new ones for $8-$13 each if they bug you.

New reproduction ships cost ~$75

The key for me would be the condition of things in the back box. Hacked up boards, acid damage (leaking batteries) or bad wiring back there would kill the deal for me at any price.

I have seen several T2s in near showroom condition for $1800-$2200 lately so keep that in mind. They made 15,000 of these so if you can't get this one at the right price, there will be more.

#24 6 years ago

Oh god run don't walk

That T2 dies not look like fun especially for a pin noob.

You can find another T2 fir a bit more that won't be such a fixer upper.

Also T2 is not awesome enough of a game to endure that rough PF imo

#25 6 years ago

If you're new to pinball, stay away. I'd actually buy this at $750 if it starts up and plays. Looks like a fun project and I'd love to see this come to life.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

1- You can't look at acid damage because you don't have the keys to the backbox. I would go to home depot get teh right screw driver $10-$15 bucks and unscrew the lock. Check for burn molex connectors, and acid damage even before committing to this.

Don't guess at the boards, hit the hardware store & get a Torx lock screwdriver set ($10 Home depot). It's a star head set with a hole in the middle for that "lock". Open the back & the boards will give you a realistic idea what it's going to cost you.
Also don't assume the display is bad. I had a Batman that did that & it was the power supply board, the display was actually good. This $750 deal can easily become $1750 and you might not have as nice a machine as one you can buy straight up for $1750 without the work..The boards will make or break this IMHO.

#27 6 years ago

I bet if you don't pick this up another pin head will.

#28 6 years ago

Just be aware that some of those broken plastics are going to cost you a lot of cash... sling shot plastics, skynet sign...

I referbed a T2 about 4 months ago and the plastics ate me alive in cost.

#29 6 years ago

Pass, or hold out of $500. Expect to put at least another $500 in. If you have the time and patience though, looks like an intense project.

#30 6 years ago

Wow that game is trashed... $500 tops.

#31 6 years ago

I'd pass....maybe at 500 I'd buy it, even then you'll spend a ton of money fixing it, and it will still be ugly at the end haha...just spend 1500 and get a nice one...unless you want a project. I advise against getting a project as your first game too. Get one that works good first. Then get a project....

#32 6 years ago

I love it. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I agree that 500-600 would probably make me pull the trigger. If not for salvage parts alone considering the mechanics are working and all the plastic is good. I especially agree with tomdotcom that after you spend it will still probably be ugly! If I could find nice for $1500 I would but they are definitely around the 2 - 2.3k mark. I've been looking now for a little over a month so not a ton of time to gauge the market.

I like this pin, always have. It is definitely the pin that got me into the game in the first place. I can't really afford more than 2k for a first buy. Please keep the comments coming as I am still twisting in each direction with this decision

Manhattan

#33 6 years ago

You may have to travel down south if you want a deal. Check around Seattle/Portland/etc...alot more for sale down there than up here...

#34 6 years ago

Run! don't walk.

#35 6 years ago

I would pass, especially if you are new to pinball. I had 2 terminitator 2's about 2 Yeats ago. Both looked mint compared to this game. Both of mine had to have the gi connectors and board pins replaced, (very common in these games) and I would bet they need replacent in this game also. The playfields in both of mine had no bare wood spots (although one had some insert decal wear at the middle playfield insert). Both of mine worked 100%. Anyway to make a long story short, the first one I sold for 1300.00, although it did need a shop job, and the second one I used in a two pin trade for a new ad/Idc trade, so you can get a really nice one, (or a lot better starting project then this one). Be patient they pop up regularly, and for what you will need to put into that one, you could have a nice minty one you wouldn't need to touch.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Manhattan:

I love it. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I agree that 500-600 would probably make me pull the trigger. If not for salvage parts alone considering the mechanics are working and all the plastic is good. I especially agree with tomdotcom that after you spend it will still probably be ugly! If I could find nice for $1500 I would but they are definitely around the 2 - 2.3k mark. I've been looking now for a little over a month so not a ton of time to gauge the market.
I like this pin, always have. It is definitely the pin that got me into the game in the first place. I can't really afford more than 2k for a first buy. Please keep the comments coming as I am still twisting in each direction with this decision
Manhattan

Don't listen to these bozos. Buy it @ 750, You are going to freaking love tweaking , fixing, cleaning and generally LEARNING on this pin.
Great first game, not too complicated. And CHEAP.

Get it, you won't regret it. Soon you will probably have 6 lined up.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Get it, you won't regret it. Soon you will probably have 6 lined up.

The less you pay for this, the more you will have towards your next machine

#38 6 years ago

Print this thread and show them the prevailing opinion to sell at $500. The playfield wear kills it at $750.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

The playfield wear kills it at $750.

Yeah! After you spend a ton of dough it still will look trashed. That playfield is ca-ca....

#40 6 years ago

I'd personally pass especially with the abundance of these games out there. I too went on a mad search when I ended up with the one I have now, but it was longer than a month. I paid $1100 and ended up having to replace a few plastics, the dmd, fix the apron graphics, do touch ups and find out what was causing the game to reset.

#41 6 years ago

why spend $600,650, or $750 on this game, when you can get a decent player with some fade wear for $1200

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

Run! don't walk.

Parts machine.

#43 6 years ago

I'm so glad I posted and got all your feedback. The main reason I want a pinball machine is to play it. This machine would have me waiting quite awhile and require $ and effort to end up some place I might not want to be! I want to play now. I am going to move on from this machine and wait for another. I think if I want to do a refurb one day that it would be better to have a machine to play and reference while refurbing the other.

For now I will keep my eyes and ears open for a T2 in the 2k (hopefully under) range around the Pacific Northwest. Thanks again for all your help. I had T2 on the brain and wasn't thinking clearly. Can you imagine I actually offered $800 to him a month ago. I bet he wishes he took it now.

Manhattan

#44 6 years ago

They are out there....just take your time....

#45 6 years ago

I'll buy it!

#46 6 years ago

I don't think anyone mentioned it above, but plastics are nearly impossible to find for this game. If those are broken or cracked, that is another consideration.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from singlebanana:

I don't think anyone mentioned it above, but plastics are nearly impossible to find for this game. If those are broken or cracked, that is another consideration.

I dont know why people say this....you can find them on ebay pretty regularly, some of the staple sites have some of them in stock (marco, etc), and this place makes repro.

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/pinball-parts-game-terminator-c-46_51.html?language=english

#48 6 years ago

Having just finished a T2, I agree with single banana. Did I find all of the plastics? Yes. But you have to understand, I paid $85 for three plastics shipped from Australia. It ain't cheap. I could go back through my receipts and get a grand total... but they were expensive!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
4,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ruskin, FL
$ 350.00
Boards
Pinball Basement
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside