Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0950.JPG
IMG_0946.JPG
tom_bulbs.jpg
IMG_1688.jpg
bulbs_vs_leds.jpg
#1 12 years ago

I love my TOM and I love the led kit in it but for some reason out of all the pins I have had I have the urge to replace the LEDs with the original bulbs. I see videos of the game on youtube and it just glows with the originals. Is this nuts? Is the heat really that bad for them if you want to keep them nice? Maybe just the Gi's
Mine looks amazing I just wonder if i would like it better original. On a rainy day of coarse.....

#2 12 years ago

I think the heat is more of an issue in the backbox than the playfield. What is it you are not liking? Is it too bright? I've always thought your ToM looked great in the photos. Can you post a video of it?

#3 12 years ago

Keep the LEDs . If you don't like the way you have them. Switch the GI to warm white LEDs .It will look more like original .

#4 12 years ago

Well I do have Ultra's in many spots and truly it is a little too bright in certain areas. I just see the videos on YT of the game with the originals and it just goes so well with all of the gold trim. Makes me wonder. I have never had a game with them. TOM seems to be one that really looks great with both types of lighting.

#5 12 years ago

This pic shows the inserts benefit from LED's So maybe I'll just play around a bit sometime.

bulbs_vs_leds.jpgbulbs_vs_leds.jpg

#6 12 years ago

Then here is mine

IMG_1688.jpgIMG_1688.jpg

#7 12 years ago

Nice to see a properly lit TOM. The one on route near me has half the GI out. Not to mention a trunk that only works half the time. Ugh...

#8 12 years ago

Ok so with all of them pics maybe I'll leave it alone.
It really looks great the original way though. Especially in the darker videos on YT

#9 12 years ago

I like mine without LEDs just because the colors are warmer reds and oranges etc and I think the GI lights need to be warm and work better with the original bulbs - I change the back box out to reduce some heat - but even then I play them for maybe an hour at a time so unlike when they sat on all day at an arcade I think its pretty minimal.

#10 12 years ago

Good point about them not being turned on all the time. I may try the Gi's and see what I think for a few days. I enjoy doing it some not a big deal.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

If you don't like the way you have them. Switch the GI to warm white LEDs. It will look more like original .

This is not a bad idea. Certain games are probably better candidates for cool white LEDs than others. For example, sci-fi games like STTNG, Avatar, or even Pinbot are just begging for cool white LEDs. Perhaps ToM would indeed be best served by some warmer LEDs, or even good old fashioned bulbs in the GI. As for the inserts, you may simply have too bright of LEDs in there. When I received my Tommy, it was fully tricked out with LEDs. I've since toned down many of them to a level that I think is more appropriate. I even changed out some of the LED flashers to bulbs. LEDs are great, but it is possible to have too much of a good thing.

#12 12 years ago

I gotta say i really do prefer the softer look that the original bulbs deliver on this pin..i really think visually theres not a pin out there that beats TOM,they got it bang on first time.

I realize that pictures only say so much but with the LEDS it seems to take away alot of the playfield art and individually lit areas,if that makes any sense at all?

#13 12 years ago

Ok, coasterguy, you did ask! I will give my opinion as in the next few months I am going to be putting some LED's in my TOM.

I think TOM with bulbs looks great - the soft lighting accentuates the overall look. I am not sure yet if LED's will add or detract from this.

I will certainly put a lot in the back box and I will put as many as I can in the playfield as I can get away with, but I want to keep the soft ambience.

Your TOM looks great......but, it does not look like a TOM! I think there is too much purple. When I have done mine, I will post some pictures up and feel free to be honest

Here is another bulb picture...

I can see I am going to spend hours, days obsessing with a whole range of combinations

tom_bulbs.jpgtom_bulbs.jpg

#14 12 years ago

Cointaker has new retro led's now that could work as well. I may try have of the game with them and see what I think.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Cointaker has new retro led's now that could work as well. I may try have of the game with them and see what I think.

That could be interesting for sure.

Let us know how you get on.

#16 12 years ago

Yours looks like mine coasterguy. I have purple in a lot of the GI as well. I love it but it is a bright game. You could switch from supers (I'm assuming you have these) to 90s or even 170s for inserts and GI.... Actually you can't for inserts as most in this game are flex. It was a real headache to LED this game... I am remembering now due to all the flexs.

#17 12 years ago

Just ordered some retros to see if I like them better. I may leave it alone though.

#18 12 years ago

why not LEDs and regular bulbs?

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

You could switch from supers (I'm assuming you have these) to 90s or even 170s for inserts and GI.... Actually you can't for inserts as most in this game are flex ...

This is why I'd really like to see a larger variety of flexible LEDs available. Some flexible non-ghosting LEDS would really come in handy.

#20 12 years ago

I'm sorry but in my opinion Coaster's TOM with LEDs looks ten times better than one with regular bulbs. No comparison in my book. It does not look like a dim lit old school TOM it looks like a bad ass new age rockin TOM. Well played Coaster!

They had a TOM at California Extreme this year fired out with LEDs and man it was a sight to see! I know we all have our own tastes so I can see how some may like the old school look of bulbs. To each their own.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I'm sorry but in my opinion Coaster's TOM with LEDs looks ten times better than one with regular bulbs. No comparison in my book. It does not look like a dim lit old school TOM it looks like a bad ass new age rockin TOM. Well played Coaster!

+1

#22 12 years ago

I ordered some retro LED's anyway to try them out on TOM and TAF. I mayb just add a little more Yellow lights to my TOM and leave it alone. I cam home and turned it on tonight and though it is bright it really is awesome. I will let you all know how I like the retro's and take some pics when I get a chance.

#23 12 years ago

It does look amazing

I am just not sure I want to go that far from the original look but who knows.

I think some more yellow could look very good

Need to see in person.....I will play around and try and do similar versions and see what looks best in real life

#24 12 years ago

hmm I love the game with it's original lighting so would be looking not to make major changes in colour or brightness. I tend to play a game for hours and can't live with the over bright stuff.

#25 12 years ago

I like the look of the bulbs in GI, but I really do think the inserts need a little extra pop with some leds. You might want to experiment with the "theatre" inserts. The led pics seems to wash the color out of them. I have retros in some of my games and like them a lot. If the bulb is in clear view you might want to try a frosted warm or a bulb condom to keep it toned down. They can be a little bright if viewed straight on, but they don't seem to have hot spots like other leds. Something about having that clear plastic cap on them helps to disperse the light better.

Pics are of a SST with leds in inserts with retros for GI and retros with blue condoms under ramp and a JP with retro GI, retros with bulb condoms under slings and regular bulbs for inserts. Lights look brighter in the pics than in real life. There are a couple in the JP that are visable under the plastics that would look better with warm frosted ones, since they are too visible.

I like a mix in mine personally, but it really just depends on what you like. I like to mix up the back box too with regular bulbs and leds. Post your results.

IMG_0946.JPGIMG_0946.JPG IMG_0950.JPGIMG_0950.JPG

#26 12 years ago

Looking at them side by side the LEDs really pop.

#27 12 years ago

LEDs are great as they allow us to customize the look of machines, which further adds to the variety of “machine” we can achieve.

There are no wrong answers, only options.

#30 12 years ago

My ToM came with LEDs and I changed it back to normal bulbs. With the theme, normal bulbs look better times a billion.

#31 12 years ago

We have one at our league location. It's quite bright. It doesn't bother me, but a couple players say they can't play it because it gives them headaches.

#32 12 years ago

I used warm white frosted LEDs in my TOM, top and bottom. Looks pretty close to regular bulbs, but is a little brighter and the colors on the inserts are cleaner in my opinion. I used non-polarized bulbs as I am very sensitive to the cheaper LEDs which strobe and will give me headaches too*. I had to use about 5 or 6 superflexs (most obvious were "G" in M-A-G-I-C and the first "T" and last "E" in Theatre).

I think it's also hard to judge bulbs vs LEDs with photos or videos. The TOM I have was originally for sale with colored LEDs and the photos of it looked fantastic with the LEDs being matched up to accentuate the colors throughout the game. Seeing it in person I didn't care for it and that's why I spent a couple of months playing with lots of samples to see what I did like. I'm not saying warm white is for everyone, but rather that it can be difficult to judge what you like without seeing it in person on another game or trying out samples for yourself.

* - the CFTBL game for the CAX tournament had LEDs! I couldn't break 50 million on it. Huge disadvantage to anyone sensitive to it...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 11.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t-o-m-leds-or-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.