(Topic ID: 173856)

T-molding on head of 90's Williams games...

By spinal

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by spinal
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4731 (resized).PNG
    IMG_4615 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

Newer to pinball and have seem some Williams 90's games have T-molding put into the head. Which of the following are true?

1. Done to improve the look of a perfectly mint head
    2. Want to match color/chrome to rest of pin
    3. Personal preference - some like this and others don't
    4. Head is damaged and adding T-molding covers up better
    5. Pinsiders are generally indifferent to this
    6. Some pinsiders hate T-molding put into heads and would not buy a pin with this done
    7. <anything I'm missing?>

Q: do pinsiders like this done in general (guess a %?)
    Q: does it affect resale demand/value?
    Q: can it be fixed back to normal or will one always see repair?

Anyway, any comments appreciated as trying to learn about the hobby from those who know. Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

Dr. Dude comes from the factory with T molding.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

Dr. Dude comes from the factory with T molding.

Safecracker too.

#4 7 years ago

Bally Midway started adding T molding in the early 80's. IMO. it's a cheaper way to make a cabinet. Compared to earlier Bally, Stern and Wms cabinets were made with real birch plywood, had mitered corners. These cabs were painted and stenciled. The finished look had a seamless look all the way around the cab. The back boxes have nice wood trim on Bally and sterns.

The cheaper cabinet consists of mostly MDF or particle board. They are butt jointed because you can't really expose the edges of particle board. This is where the T molding comes in. It finishes off the edges and protects it from chipping. This is how most video game cabinets were made as well. Particle cabs have decal artwork, usually never stenciled. Therefore the cabinets only had to be painted on the edges where the ends of the decals are exposed. Personally I prefer the original way they cabinets. The only good thing about T molding is that it comes in various colors and textures. Easily replaced and rather inexpensive.

#5 7 years ago

I used adhesive backed 3/4 in gold moulding on my ToM backbox and I love how it came out it looks way more "finished" IMO plus it is completely reversible

IMG_4615 (resized).JPGIMG_4615 (resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Drewblood419:

I used adhesive backed 3/4 in gold moulding on my ToM backbox and I love how it came out it looks way more "finished" IMO plus it is completely reversible

Where did you find this molding? I like it.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from loanguy7171973:

Where did you find this molding? I like it.

I ended up buying a roll of it on eBay for just under $20 but I will say the adhesive backing really sucks so I also bought a roll of 3M automotive mounting tape at the auto parts store and ran it on the backside of each strip that I used it worked really well. You can get the the 3M chrome version at the auto parts store but the gold stuff they don't carry that's why I had to resort to eBay

#8 7 years ago

IMG_4731 (resized).PNGIMG_4731 (resized).PNG

#9 7 years ago

I personally dont care for it if the game didnt have it stock, I can see why some guys do like it since the head is plywood so you have a layered painted end showing.

Depends how its done, if they used the adhesive stuff above, its easily reversible no harm done. However if they routed the channel for real t molding then it would reduce the value and make it harder to sell.

1 week later
    #10 7 years ago

Thanks for responses - much appreciated! I agree with you libtech - I wouldn't add molding if it didn't come stock.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t-molding-on-head-of-90s-williams-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.