(Topic ID: 80622)

System adjust failure on Whirlind (even after replacing the battery pack w/rem)

By pinaholic

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by KingDaddy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

What else could it be now? Tia
Allen

#2 10 years ago

Did you do a reset? IIRC I had to do a reset on mine.

#3 10 years ago

There is a blocking diode that blocks voltage from leaking back to the batteries. If this diode is bad, it will kill new batteries in no time. I'd suspect your blocking diode as the culprit. Im not exactly sure which diode it is close to the battery terminal on the cpu board, youll need to look at the schmatics to figure that out.

#4 10 years ago

Check the voltage at U25 pin 24 (Vcc). Game on it should be close to 4.8VDC . With the game off and batteries in it should be very close to 4.5VDC. If the standby voltage is missing or too low, some possible causes are low/bad batteries, poor wiring, bad diode D2, poor/failed traces, defective U25.

#5 10 years ago

I had the same problem on my F-14. I was saving up for a repairman. But then it started to work again. Now it has no problems. I know not useful, but maybe you will get lucky and the problem will solve it's self.

#6 10 years ago

Make sure to clear the error after repairing:

Clearing a "Factory Setting" or "Adjustment Error" Message.
To clear these messages, you first need to fix the problem (replace the batteries and/or battery holder, replace the U25 RAM, etc.). After this is done, turn the game on. Then press the center red coin door button into the down position. Now press the black button closest to the coin door. If you have an "adjustment error", the game will beep and flash the "factory setting" message.

Once you have the "factory setting" message, press the black button closest to the coin door twice. Then move the center red button to the up position. Then press the black button closest to the coin door again (twice if you had an "adjustment error" message). The game should now go into attract mode.

1 week later
#7 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Make sure to clear the error after repairing:
Clearing a "Factory Setting" or "Adjustment Error" Message.
To clear these messages, you first need to fix the problem (replace the batteries and/or battery holder, replace the U25 RAM, etc.). After this is done, turn the game on. Then press the center red coin door button into the down position. Now press the black button closest to the coin door. If you have an "adjustment error", the game will beep and flash the "factory setting" message.
Once you have the "factory setting" message, press the black button closest to the coin door twice. Then move the center red button to the up position. Then press the black button closest to the coin door again (twice if you had an "adjustment error" message). The game should now go into attract mode.

Thanks this was wicked helpful with my diner.

#8 10 years ago

Is your coin door switch functional?

#9 10 years ago

I'm goin to say that your battery holder is corroded, check it out, inspect, might be broken, or bad solder joint, or just scrape the crud off the contracts. Probably time for a new one. I've had the same issue before.

#10 10 years ago

I've had a bad battery holder cause problems. Added a remote battery holder and no more issues.

#11 10 years ago

I've had the identical issue on many sys 11's, either put in a new battery holder or reflow the solder on the original, once done, put in a remote holder to finish it. Make sure to check the back side of the board for more acid problems.

#12 10 years ago

On my earthshaker I was having the same problem.Turned out that the rivet holding the contact to the battery disintegrated. I put a small screw in it and it worked.

#13 10 years ago

thank you wayout440 for helping me clear that adjust failure on my cyclone with those steps

#14 10 years ago

You're welcome flipperG. All I ask is you send some Cali sunshine my way...it's flipping cold here in OH

8 months later
#15 9 years ago

Wayout440 you just saved me by heping me clear the adjust failure message. Thanks bro.

4 months later
#16 9 years ago

I always recommend an NVRAM upgrade for this as you never have to worry about batteries ever again and you remove the possibility of future acid damage to your board.
Big Daddy's carries PinForge NVRAM upgrades:
http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/ProductPages/pinforge.html
and
Lock When Lit carries anypin NVRAM as well:
http://lockwhenlit.com/anyPin.htm

The battery holder is the likely suspect. Move to NVRAM and you won't be sorry

2 months later
#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Mrjamma:

I always recommend an NVRAM upgrade for this as you never have to worry about batteries ever again and you remove the possibility of future acid damage to your board.
Big Daddy's carries PinForge NVRAM upgrades:
http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/ProductPages/pinforge.html
and
Lock When Lit carries anypin NVRAM as well:
http://lockwhenlit.com/anyPin.htm
The battery holder is the likely suspect. Move to NVRAM and you won't be sorry

Is it easy to install the NVRAM?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-adjust-failure-on-whirlind-even-after-replacing-the-battery-pack-wrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.