(Topic ID: 75361)

System 9 with Rottendog power.... where's 6.3V input go?

By radium

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3247 - Copy.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I picked up a basket-case Comet that was missing a power supply. I put a Rottendog WPS079 power supply in there and have everything working except for GI lighting. I've got a yellow 4-pin molex connector from the transformer for 6.3V, but cannot figure out where it should be connected to the Rottendog board. On the original Williams power supply schematics this would connect to 3J9. There is an unused 2-pin female molex on the board, but it is not labeled. Also there are four holes labeled CN9X4 but they are not populated.

Any ideas?

IMG_3247 - Copy.JPGIMG_3247 - Copy.JPG
#2 10 years ago

Correction - Schematic here:

http://rottendog.us/WPS079.pdf

Looking at the WMS schematic and Rottendog, J86 seems the likely connection point, is that the 2-pin molex and 4 un-soldered pins near the bottom of the board?

Looks like the power goes from J89 through the red thing (must be a transformer) to CN8, essentially the entire lower right section of the board is for the GI.

But check your references, I'm a software guy...

#3 10 years ago

Yeah I saw that J86 on the schematic too, but couldn't find what that corresponds to on the board. The 2-pin molex and 4 un-soldered pins is next to the GI connector at the bottom, yes. You can see it in the picture I uploaded.

The red thing is the K1 GI relay, which I THINK is labeled RY1 on the Rottendog schematic. I can hear the relay click, it just needs juice on the other end.

I'm thinking I could solder a 4-pin male molex to CN9X4 and be in business, but I'm a software guy too and not confident enough to risk it without asking Pinside first.

#4 10 years ago

Apparently the 6.3V stuff puts a strain on the System 9 PS, more than one of them I have has had the 6.3V wires soldered directly to the board, bypassing the connectors. The connectors are often toasty brown and nasty so I assume they just don't do well with the load.

On my Sorcerer (sys 9), I purchased a molex connector set, soldered one side to the (stock) PS and then connected that to the output from the transformer so that at least I could connect and disconnect it without a soldering iron or a wire nut. It looks like that J86 molex is intended to do that as well if you can find the correct mating connector.

It looks like it might be this one: Part Number: 19-09-1029 http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=95

#5 10 years ago

Most ops gave up replacing that connector, and just soldered the wires to the board with 2 wire nuts for removing the head.

If you switch to LED lighting, you should be fine with using the connector.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from NunjoBiznezz:

On my Sorcerer (sys 9), I purchased a molex connector set, soldered one side to the (stock) PS and then connected that to the output from the transformer so that at least I could connect and disconnect it without a soldering iron or a wire nut. It looks like that J86 molex is intended to do that as well if you can find the correct mating connector.
It looks like it might be this one: Part Number: 19-09-1029 http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=95

I'm not sure what J86 refers to. At this point I'm just kind of guessing where to blindly solder a couple of wires, flip the switch and hope the right thing happens. Maybe this is a sign that I should just part it out after all.

#7 10 years ago

Put your meter on it and make sure you have the correct voltage evident before you solder anything.

#8 10 years ago

Yeah, I see now, it's not obvious at all, more data:

See the Comet manual http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/548/Comet_manual.pdf page 31, bottom right section is the GI. 3J9 pins 1 and 2 are the GI inputs, RottenDog seems to have labelled their connectors in corresponding fashion, so 3J9=CN9

I can't see CN9 on your picture or on RottenDog's, but if you refer to the Comet and RottenDog schematic, one side of the GI goes directly to 3J8 (CN8), and you can see that visibly on the board, it's a huge trace directly through the 4 pins I assume are CN9 to the 2 pin molex connector, which pretty much has to be J86 based on the RottenDog schematic.

I'd verify the voltages on the 4 pin connector, pins 1,2 should be one side of the GI and 3,4 the other side and between (1,2) and (3,4) there should be approx 6.3VAC. If you verify that, at that point you should be confident enough to take some alligator clips and briefly attach pin 1 or 2 to one side of the molex and 3 or 4 to the other and see the GI light up.

I sent RottenDog an e-mail with a link to this thread: [email protected]

#9 10 years ago

From Jim @ RottenDog:

Somebody did a hack to make your machine work with a System 11 power supply.

If you follow the plug you are holding back from the connector, it will turn
into a 2 wire harness. These two wires get plugged into the 2 pin connector
just to the right of CN2X6. You are going to need the connector housing and
2 pins. They are:

WPS079 2 Pin Connector that mates with this board is 0019091026

Mating Pins 02-09-1104

10 months later
#10 9 years ago

I am thinking of buying a Rottendog WPS079 power supply for my Comet. Where can I purchase the pin connector (0019091026) and mating pins 02-09-1104?

#11 9 years ago

0019091026 --> actual Molex number = 19-09-1026. Use 19-09-1029.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-9-with-rottendog-power-wheres-63v-input-go and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.