(Topic ID: 235382)

System 9 u48 DAC weird voltages?? Pls. Help.

By Tbirdmatt66SS

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hello.
On space shuttle , U48, the DAC chip. Pin 3 receives and passes through the -12v as it continues to 1J20 pin 2. Here’s the conundrum... with the -12v disconnected at 1J17, and the rest of the board powered on the bench. I get positive 4.3 volts on the -12 v circuit at all points of it. If I take U48 out of its socket, the voltage goes away. Before anyone says u48 is bad, I had already replaced it. So what could have caused it to go bad , or is something coming into U48 from the PIA, which is new and corrupting U48.
Thanks for any assistance.
Matt

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Tbirdmatt66SS:

Hello.
On space shuttle , U48, the DAC chip. Pin 3 receives and passes through the -12v as it continues to 1J20 pin 2. Here’s the conundrum... with the -12v disconnected at 1J17, and the rest of the board powered on the bench. I get positive 4.3 volts on the -12 v circuit at all points of it. If I take U48 out of its socket, the voltage goes away. Before anyone says u48 is bad, I had already replaced it. So what could have caused it to go bad , or is something coming into U48 from the PIA, which is new and corrupting U48.
Thanks for any assistance.
Matt

I'm not sure. Disconnecting Vee (-12VDC) from this IC while the IC is still connected to positive Vcc is not a state that this IC was designed to operate in, and could be causing invalid results.

#3 5 years ago

Update...
I switched out the DAC. The weird positive voltage almost went away completely. There is now only + .79 volts coming from pin 3 and back feeding the -12V circuit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-9-u48-dac-weird-voltages-pls-help?hl=tbirdmatt66ss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.