(Topic ID: 275972)

System 9 - How much did I destroy? (not much)

By yaksplat

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by the9gman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

So, I was fixing my power supply, changing out the MC1723 IC. Put a new chip in, hooked it all up, and turned it on. I get a hum and an error 7.

FFF$@&!

So I immediately turn it off, unplug all of the connections except cabinet to power supply. My 5V is reading 20.67VDC and then C12 exploded. Quite loud I might add.

Upon close inspection, there's a speck of solder bridging two terminals on the IC. I fixed it and a new C12 and the power supply is now producing 5.05V.

However, I now have an error 7 on the main board. How much did I wreck by sending ~21VDC to the 5V line?

ugh...

#2 3 years ago

Likely all the chips supplied by the +5 supply. Ugh.

#3 3 years ago

yep that could be real ugly ....all ic chips have a maximum VCC rating. there may be a few that survived because of this but any of the ones where the maximum VCC ratings have been exceeded are probably gone. You would have to type each chip number into google and look for the individual data sheets to find out what the maximum VCC ratings are

#4 3 years ago

Yeah, i'm in for some soldering.... This is really ugly. About 90% so far are 7vdc

#5 3 years ago

Damn sorry to hear that. The school of hard knocks is an expensive university but the lessons you learn last a lifetime.....kinda like when you see a three year old heading for an electrical socket with a key in his hand you will be sure to yell at him .........you might not want to do that little buddy it will be a shocking experience

#6 3 years ago

I've had similar things. I would replace eeproms first and 6808 processor and see what happens. If the game was not on for a long time in an over voltage situation you may get lucky. Had a pinbot that had something similar happen. Just destroyed eeproms.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks, I was just going to ask what to replace first in case I got lucky.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Thanks, I was just going to ask what to replace first in case I got lucky.

Change eeproms first than 6908 processor. Next in line comes 6264 ram. If still no power up see if any 6821 are hot. After that I would send board to ed Cheung for repair or boygard.

#9 3 years ago

So, I finally brought myself to change out the eeprom to see how bad it was. I was dreading having to change out all of the ICs, even though I had them on hand.

AND IT BOOTED!

Everything worked. Somehow I got really really really lucky and only toasted the eeprom.

Thanks for the help guys. I got lucky this time, but never again i'm sure.

#10 3 years ago

interesting aspect some Eproms require 21 v to program wonder is the Eprom is still good and it may have just corrupted the data

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-9-how-much-did-i-destroy?hl=the9gman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.