(Topic ID: 307631)

System 9 Continuity issue

By drewbo81

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s5 (resized).JPG
    s4 (resized).JPG
    s2 (resized).JPG
    s3 (resized).JPG
    s1 (resized).JPG
    #1 2 years ago

Hello all,

Im having trouble with my credit switch. I have continuity from switch to cabinet connector and connector to playfield connector and playfield connector to board...each point check outs no issue however when I try to get continuity from switch to end of playfield connector...I get nothing. See pics below. Any help is appreciated.

s1 (resized).JPGs1 (resized).JPGs2 (resized).JPGs2 (resized).JPGs3 (resized).JPGs3 (resized).JPGs4 (resized).JPGs4 (resized).JPGs5 (resized).JPGs5 (resized).JPG
    #3 2 years ago

Honestly, the way you describe it seems pretty straightforward and confusing to imagine what could be wrong. I can only think up two possibilities:

1) You checked continuity within each individual segment (switch to ConnectorA-Male | Connector A Female to Connector B Male | Conn B Fem onward so on) and those were OK. However it could be the M-F connection within the joined connectors is not good. Join paired segments together and run your continuity check again.

2) A conductor/wire is frayed and there is a momentary short/break when it curves and flexes into a certain position, or it is getting pinched, such as when you close the coin door, or set the pf down, or something. Much more bothersome to locate. Connect your meter on continuity check and move things around to see if it quits.

#4 2 years ago

Maybe something's up with the connector on the board?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Honestly, the way you describe it seems pretty straightforward and confusing to imagine what could be wrong. I can only think up two possibilities:
    1) You checked continuity within each individual segment (switch to ConnectorA-Male | Connector A Female to Connector B Male | Conn B Fem onward so on) and those were OK. However it could be the M-F connection within the joined connectors is not good. Join paired segments together and run your continuity check again.
    2) A conductor/wire is frayed and there is a momentary short/break when it curves and flexes into a certain position, or it is getting pinched, such as when you close the coin door, or set the pf down, or something. Much more bothersome to locate. Connect your meter on continuity check and move things around to see if it quits.

I am going to repin connectors and see what happens but the weird thing is if I check from just one side of the connector to other side its fine but its the longer run of checking from point A to point D that I get no continuity..maybe corrosion is causing resistance tho.
    Thanx for the input

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from rockwell:

Maybe something's up with the connector on the board?

Its not connected to board at moment...the problem is in cabinet wiring for now

Thanx for the input tho.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from drewbo81:

the weird thing is if I check from just one side of the connector to other side its fine but its the longer run of checking from point A to point D that I get no continuity..maybe corrosion is causing resistance tho.

Yeah, that's what I took from your original post and the only thing I can think of to cause that is a faulty connector joint. So instead of checking the entire connected run, break it down into smaller pairings and check until you find the sub-combo that causes the fault, and focus on that one.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-9-continuity-issue?hl=rockwell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.