• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

slingsw (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Cant seem to figure this out.

Left kicker locks on. Worked fine before I removed the PF. Coil reads 4.2ohm, diode reads good, driver transistor reads good too. And the wires are on the correct lugs too. Not sure what would cause this with no cooked parts. Any help on where to look would be appreciated.

#2 1 year ago

Maybe it’s a switch matrix problem. Does self test switch test show any switches closed?

#3 1 year ago

Pinched wire.
Connector crossed.
With the special solenoid connector removed, see if you have continuity from the right sling coil lug to ground.
Then check the left sling coil.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

Maybe it’s a switch matrix problem. Does self test switch test show any switches closed?

Activation switch on system 9 is not in the switch matrix.

my copy of the manual is hard to read but it looks like the input is J18, and the outputs are j19. So if you disconnect both of these, you can check all the outputs to see if any are shorted to ground - if they are, the problem is on the board. If you have a logic probe you can follow the signal from the inputs at j18 to the output at j19, if any output doesn't change as you alternately ground its input pin, then let it float, the component is bad.

If nothing is grounded at the output without connectors on, put the input connector back on. Test the outputs again. If you now have an output shorted to ground, the problem is on the playfield, something is grounding out the special solenoid activation switch permanently. There should be a resistor and capacitor on one of the solenoid switches that poke through the playfield, you can temporarily cut one side of the cap lead, test again.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from ibis:

Cant seem to figure this out.
Left kicker locks on. Worked fine before I removed the PF. Coil reads 4.2ohm, diode reads good, driver transistor reads good too. And the wires are on the correct lugs too. Not sure what would cause this with no cooked parts. Any help on where to look would be appreciated.

Kicks on when first powered up or when a game is started

Have new bands been installed while the playfield was out

Check the switch gap isn't now closed.

slingsw (resized).jpgslingsw (resized).jpg
#6 1 year ago

Yes, locks on when powered on.

Ill have some time to fiddle with J18 and J19 tomorrow and Ill report back!

#7 1 year ago

Ok, started checking J18 and J19 for ground shorts. Found the shorted pin J18-5(orange/brown) and traced it to the standup switch on that kicker. Looked closer and found the short! I need to open my eyes WIDER next time! Thanks all, I appreciate your assistance, it really helped me focus on the place to look!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-9-coil-locked-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.