(Topic ID: 182546)

System 9 board - did I damage these traces?

By Geocab

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Geocab
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2017-02-28-18-05-11 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2017-02-28-18-18-55 (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

I removed my RAM chip at U18 the hard way because I don't own a desoldering station. I clipped off the legs, but the cutters were lower than I thought.

I circled two traces in the photo, are they supposed to connect together? I think so, but I don't understand the schematic.

If I use my meter, one lead on the left side of U18 and the other on the left side of U19, I have continuity on each leg, except the two circled in red.

Screenshot_2017-02-28-18-18-55 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-02-28-18-18-55 (resized).png

Screenshot_2017-02-28-18-05-11 (resized).jpgScreenshot_2017-02-28-18-05-11 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

If I'm correct and I messed these up, what is the best way to fix them?

#3 7 years ago

Looks like you did. you can add a little (very little) flux and see if you can build a solder bridge and test continuity again. If it doesn't work try a single strand of copper wire. If that works cover the solder with clear nail polish so that solder will no flow to it when you put in the socket.

Use SIPs or DIP sockets with the high pins http://media.digikey.com/photos/Aries/20-3518-10.jpg so you can set the socket a little high and avoid these traces.

Once these are in test continuity from the repaired trace to the 2 pins that straddle it. There should not be any

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Looks like you did. you can add a little (very little) flux and see if you can build a solder bridge and test continuity again. If it doesn't work try a single strand of copper wire. If that works cover the solder with clear nail polish so that solder will no flow to it when you put in the socket.
Use SIPs or DIP sockets with the high pins http://media.digikey.com/photos/Aries/20-3518-10.jpg so you can set the socket a little high and avoid these traces.
Once these are in test continuity from the repaired trace to the 2 pins that straddle it. There should not be any

Thank you for the advice. I'll see if I can do it.

#5 7 years ago

I would strongly suggest you stop right now and send the board out for repair - assuming you an actually find someone who will take it on now.

It's obvious you should spend some time on junk board soldering before tackling these very delicate boards.

If you proceed I think this will be the end of this board sadly.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I would strongly suggest you stop right now and send the board out for repair - assuming you an actually find someone who will take it on now.
It's obvious you should spend some time on junk board soldering before tackling these very delicate boards.
If you proceed I think this will be the end of this board sadly.

He already has the worst part over and it doesnt look too bad. Set a DMM on buzz tone continuity check to see if the traces are in tact. Definitely take the time to make sure the traces are OK before you set down an IC socket.

#7 7 years ago

100% agree with barakandI. It's definitely fixable. Just take your time, confirm no shorts across traces and all traces have continuity to their next hop.

#8 7 years ago

The point I'm making is the OP is asking "if" he has damaged the traces.

It's obvious he has and if he has to ask that he really shouldn't be touching it any further.

There is a very good reason why electronics is a "many years to learn trade" and the OP is proving that.

Downvote me all you like, it doesn't change the fact that this board has already been damaged by someone who really should practice more on already discarded boards before launching into delicate, and unreplaceable things such as this.

I'm not having a go at the OP at all and I encourage him to learn but destroying good boards that can't easily be replaced is not the place to learn IMO.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

100% agree with barakandI. It's definitely fixable. Just take your time, confirm no shorts across traces and all traces have continuity to their next hop.

Fixable yes, but my point is there was no need for it to be damaged in the first place!

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Fixable yes, but my point is there was no need for it to be damaged in the first place!

Point taken. However, when I was learning, I damaged my share of boards as well! Haha

#11 7 years ago

When I was a youngster and applying for a tech job -- I had to do a soldering test. Remove an IC and replace with a new one.
Got the old one out fine, reinstalled new one, cleaned it up and give it to interviewer. Never once did I notice that it was installed upside-down. But he sure did.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I'm not having a go at the OP at all and I encourage him to learn but destroying good boards that can't easily be replaced is not the place to learn IMO.

No worries, Homepin. I appreciate the input.

1 week later
#13 7 years ago

Just an update. Board repaired and working. NVRAM installed. I let a friend do the repair.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-9-board-did-i-damage-these-traces and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.