Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MaxAsh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Working on a dead System 80b, and I would love some advice/help. I've had a few 80b's over the years, but never one quite this dead.

Current status, GI only.

- Unplugged everything on the outgoing side of the power supply board and tested it. 5.23 VDC. Powered off, hooked up the MPU, powered back on and tested at the Capacitor. Found 5.00 VDC there, so it seems good up to that point.

- Unplugged the 'reset' board, since I know that's not needed.

- Slam Tilt mod complete via jumper (C30 and resistor R20)

Not sure where to go next. Normally I get some life given the above, but so far nothing. Thanks in advance for any help!

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply! Does all of that apply to the 80B games? Asking because it only specifies "System 80". I've often read that in order to show some signs of life, usually the 5V and Slam Tilt are the primary things that need to be addressed. Would that list be accurate for completely dead situations on an 80B?

#4 3 years ago

Did you check 5v on the MPU itself? I had one that wouldn't boot that was simply a bad power connection to the mpu. Could also be a bad daughter card connection on the MPU. Could be lots of things, I've had RIOT chips suddenly go bad and the game wouldn't boot.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

Did you check 5v on the MPU itself? I had one that wouldn't boot that was simply a bad power connection to the mpu. Could also be a bad daughter card connection on the MPU. Could be lots of things, I've had RIOT chips suddenly go bad and the game wouldn't boot.

Yeah, I tested for 5V at the capacitor C1 up near the top of the MPU board, as well as over on the chip in the top right corner Z7. Had 5.00VDC exactly on both. (It was 4.69V because the pot on the power supply was a little low initially, but I adjusted it as needed to get it to the correct voltage)

I did the old "press on the daughter board" thing, but no change.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80b-won-t-boot-5v-slam-seem-ok?hl=maxash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.