(Topic ID: 150147)

System 80b: What would it take to change the sounds?

By Guru-420

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the_goonies_text_test_(resized).jpg
    IMG_5357_(resized).JPG
    20160112_085931_(resized).jpg
    20160112_085518_(resized).jpg
    20160112_085749_(resized).jpg
    20160112_085534_(resized).jpg
    20160112_085501_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Lets say you wanted to re-theme a System 80b to something else and integrate changes to the game music. What would it take to change the sounds? Would you have to develop a whole new board, or could it be done with a sound ROM change?

#2 8 years ago

Like I'm looking into a bizarro mirror... who is this? Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal?

Re-themeing an 80B is something I've been planning out for a hot minute now.
    ROM change, probably not. The 80b soundboard is basically a digitally programmed analog synthesizer. I don't know how to write ROM files, so I guess it's theoretically possible but I wouldn't know how. Maybe www.hobbyroms.com could point you in the right direction for that.

The route I'm planning on going is having an Arduino Uno receive the soundboard signals from the driver board and have the Arduino control the sparkfun/robertsonics wavTrigger. www.sparkfun.com

80b soundboard operation simplified: There are 5 input lines the board receives all at HIGH, when the signal goes LOW, it triggers a sound on the board. 5 signal combinations of high/low = 32 possible sounds (2x2x2x2x2) [e.g. signal one low + signal 2 low = sound 6, I don't know that this is the exact correlation but it is just a possible example]

If there was a way to use the original board and reprogram the ROMs, that would be fantastic as I love the analog sounds generated by the board. But at the same time, the capabilities of the wavTrigger are pretty impressive

What machine / theme are you thinking?

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Mostly about System80/A, but might be helpful: http://www.flipprojets.fr/AudioMA55_EN.php

Seeing the code for the sound ROM, to me it looks... complex AF. Granted, I am not a programmer by any means; my knowledge is limited to a semester of BASIC back in high school and what I've taught myself so far about writing sketches for Arduino.
    Though after seeing this, I would definitely say that reprogramming the ROM to play what you want is a possibility, just not one I can viably do myself.

#5 8 years ago

Lookup the guy that did the Goonies retheme from Hollywood Heat, and ask him what he did.

#6 8 years ago

I'm currently doing a re-theme of Hollywood Heat to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Phase 2 of the art is being done over the next month. Backglass is being redesigned, blades and apron wrap custom, other re-designs of the current art and plotter cuts (this was more of a 1st mock up).

20160112_085501_(resized).jpg20160112_085501_(resized).jpg

20160112_085534_(resized).jpg20160112_085534_(resized).jpg

20160112_085749_(resized).jpg20160112_085749_(resized).jpg

20160112_085518_(resized).jpg20160112_085518_(resized).jpg

20160112_085931_(resized).jpg20160112_085931_(resized).jpg

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from crlush:

Lookup the guy that did the Goonies retheme from Hollywood Heat, and ask him what he did.

For the Goonies re-theme, the guy used two mp3 triggers. He had to use two because the mp3 trigger/board/card is not polyphonic, meaning it could only play one sound at a time. So two were used so there could be simultaneous bg music as well as sound effects. The wavTrigger (which came out after the Goonies was completed), however, is polyphonic.

To activate the sounds on Goonies, a second switch had to be added to every actuator of every rollover/under/target for everything that caused a sound and was directly wired to the trigger input of the mp3 board. Quite tedious. Both the mp3Trigger and wavTrigger boards can be controlled via serial data from an external source such as an Arduino or other micro controller (Raspberry Pi for example).

#8 8 years ago

On the Hollywood heat retheme to evil dead I used a mp3 trigger that is capable of background tracks and plays as many tracks as you want for BG music and as many as you want for each trigger. Programmable to loop ramp fade etc. All by how its labeled on the SD card.

There are also other add on board to trigger extra solenoids. Fog machines flash lamps. Video triggers for LCDs etc.

Here is a link.
    http://www.frightprops.com/controllers-electronics/frightideas-controllers/picoboo-controllers/bootunes-mp3-player.html

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

For the Goonies re-theme, the guy used two mp3 triggers. He had to use two because the mp3 trigger/board/card is not polyphonic, meaning it could only play one sound at a time. So two were used so there could be simultaneous bg music as well as sound effects. The wavTrigger (which came out after the Goonies was completed), however, is polyphonic.
    To activate the sounds on Goonies, a second switch had to be added to every actuator of every rollover/under/target for everything that caused a sound and was directly wired to the trigger input of the mp3 board. Quite tedious. Both the mp3Trigger and wavTrigger boards can be controlled via serial data from an external source such as an Arduino or other micro controller (Raspberry Pi for example).

Yes your right they changed the roms for the text only, my bad.

#10 8 years ago

I did it a while back with a Raspberry Pi and a little board I hacked together. It let me replace the music on a Gold Wings with songs from Top Gun.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80b-raspberry-pi-soundboard-emulator

2 months later
    #12 8 years ago

I helped out mike on the goonies project and created the custom rom files for custom text and i am also creating a custom set for the evil dead game. I could create a set for your gta game if you want to alter the text displayed during the different features to

I am also working on new plug and play sound boards for 80b games such as this one

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-sound-speech-and-music-for-gottlieb-80b-and-system-3-oh-go-o

which can play original or new sound effects, speech and music, is instant boot and requires no playfield modifications. You just swap out your old sound board with this one and add a series of sound files onto the sd card

IMG_5357_(resized).JPGIMG_5357_(resized).JPG

the_goonies_text_test_(resized).jpgthe_goonies_text_test_(resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80b-what-would-it-take-to-change-the-sounds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.