(Topic ID: 58471)

System 80b Startup "Thunk" Fix

By Frankenator

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Has anyone done the jumper mod (reset circuit) as featured on

http://www.flippers.com/gott-system80.html#thunk

to eliminate the loud startup noise on a system 80(a/b) machine? I'm wondering if there's any liability to my machine in not performing the modification (sometimes I have to turn the machine on and off a few times to get the proper startup/boot).

#2 10 years ago

There isn't any reason to change the start-up mode. I have never had a problem resulting from the thud at boot up. If you are having to restart your machine there's a good chance you may have some componets in the reset/clock area starting to feel their age.

#3 10 years ago

The thunk is cosmetic and won't hurt you. Get your ground mods done, get the orange cap replaced and your fine.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks - yeah, I've already done all of the board mods and changed the cabinet grounds to ring terminal connections (as well as good amount of various needed repairs on coils/switches/wiring) was looking through what else could possibly be done. RWH I'll go over my reset board components tonight - anything in particular to look out for?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80b-startup-thunk-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.