You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170115_162255 (resized).jpg
20170115_131939 (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
connectors_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider canea.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Just when I thought I was out of the woods with my methhouse Genesis project. Got it all finished up, moved it into the house, and I’m having intermittent music problems. Usually the music starts OK on plunge, cuts out, comes back in, switches to wrong music, maybe touch on the robot reveal music for good measure and then cuts out completely. It’s pretty random with some weird pulsing added in sometimes. The LED on the sound board always flashes (no solid red or unlit LED). All sound effects work at all times. Game plays 100%. I’ve done all the ground mods (boards and cabinet a la Todd Tuckey), repinned connectors, Chris repaired the MPU, new driver board, cabinet capacitor replaced, all fuses OK. I have two power supplies, one with a new pot, one with the original, both putting out steady 5 v, but the music problem is the same with both. Reseated all connectors as well as the sound roms.

I found some similar problems with 80b on pinside but the problems seemed to go away with ground mods. Where should I look next? Could one of the roms be corrupt?

#3 8 years ago

Thanks for your advice, as always, Chris. You need to have a pay-by-the-month live tech chat. I'd use it all the time.

I've never repinned this type of connector before. Do you know a part #/supplier for the pins?

connectors_(resized).jpgconnectors_(resized).jpg

6 months later
#5 7 years ago

Still have not been able to fix Genesis. All the boards have been ruled out at this point and the game has been repinned and ground modded. Here's a video of what it's doing. Any direction on where to look next would be greatly appreciated as I'm out of ideas!

#6 7 years ago

Bump for any other thoughts on where I could start looking the cause of solenoids messing with the music and sound effects. Seems like looking for a needle in a haystack at this point.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Did you ever try a different sound board?

No, I don't have a different one to try, though Chris H. did try my sound board and aux. driver in his Genesis and they worked fine for him.

Repinned and rewired the MPU/driver harness and the wires from the sound board to the driver. No change.

I will double-recheck voltage from power supply tomorrow, though it was fine when I checked it. It's weird that the sounds change with solenoid hits, sort of like voltage drop resets? Dunno. Really grasping at straws at this point.

#10 7 years ago

Finally fixed. The problem was one cabinet ground wire had slightly slipped loose from its twist-on wire connector. Nothing visible, but apparently just loose enough to cause the problem. Found the needle in the haystack for once.

10 months later
#19 6 years ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider canea.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80b-problems-with-music?tu=canea and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.