Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Larrykaye
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I am trying to get the MPU board in an Arena game working. The game is totally dead at turn on--no sounds, no feature lamps, just the GI lamps. All power supplies are good. I have removed the reset board. With the board on the bench (and the slam switch input jumpered) I get partial operation. Address lines 0-5 are running, 6 has a ~1vpp signal at a logic high (it does have normal levels for a moment after reset), 7-11 are either high or low (static), 12-14 seem ok. There is data on the data bus. No strobes for the switches, display or lamps. Clock signals are normal, R/W is active. IRQ is high, reset is high. I have replaced the 6502 and the 5101. I have removed the daughter board and reflowed all solder connections on the connector.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has--or any knowledge of what the signals should look like on the bench

#2 6 years ago

Forgot to mention in the first post that I have verified the checksum of both PROMS, so they are also OK.

#3 6 years ago

You would like to try my testrom at your board? Send me a PM with your email address if you would like to obtain it.

You can use it with an adapter from pinitech, you can also use it at the piggyback in combination with an LED for diagnostics.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Larrykaye:

(and the slam switch input jumpered)

Check pin wiki I think system 80b don't work that way, they are looking for a normally open.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Check pin wiki I think system 80b don't work that way, they are looking for a normally open

Arena (#709) is still normally closed. From Big House (#713) and later, Gottlieb changed the slam switch to normally open.

#6 6 years ago

marco's rom and the pinitech adapter has saved its cost in boards many times over for me.. comes highly recommended

#7 6 years ago

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments. I contacted Marco and he sent me the files for his ROMs. I finally got my PROM programmer to work and have some EPROMs coming in the mail. I added a LED to the daughter board so I should not need the adapter.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wind Point, WI
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80b-mpu-boot-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.