• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mrsodapop
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi all,
Was hoping I could get some direction on an odd Gottlieb Monty Carlo (system 80B) memory loss issue. First off game plays great, MPU is in very good condition, and has a memory cap.. Problem is if game is turned off even for a second, high scores are erased, along with credit count. I have verified cap is installed correctly, it is fully charged (output voltage 24hrs after game is turned off is 4.5vdc). I also checked voltages at all (VB) batt. powered points (based off schematics)with game off and the 4-5 ICs are getting the (VB) voltage. Also after a short time of playing I noticed that some of the high score initials turn from letters to odd symbols.
I would guess one of the memory ICs is bad, but how to figure which one, I am at a loss.
Thanks for any ideas
Aaron

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from mrsodapop:

Hi all,
Was hoping I could get some direction on an odd Gottlieb Monty Carlo (system 80B) memory loss issue. First off game plays great, MPU is in very good condition, and has a memory cap.. Problem is if game is turned off even for a second, high scores are erased, along with credit count. I have verified cap is installed correctly, it is fully charged (output voltage 24hrs after game is turned off is 4.5vdc). I also checked voltages at all (VB) batt. powered points (based off schematics)with game off and the 4-5 ICs are getting the (VB) voltage. Also after a short time of playing I noticed that some of the high score initials turn from letters to odd symbols.
I would guess one of the memory ICs is bad, but how to figure which one, I am at a loss.
Thanks for any ideas
Aaron

The 5101 RAM chip is probably bad. Go into test mode and cycle through to the end. It should do a memory test for you if I am remembering 80B games right.

If you have to replace it, consider using a NVRAM module that does not need a battery / mem cap.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The 5101 RAM chip is probably bad. Go into test mode and cycle through to the end. It should do a memory test for you if I am remembering 80B games right.
If you have to replace it, consider using a NVRAM module that does not need a battery / mem cap.

Thanks for the reply, the memory test passes(OK). Out of all the possible ICs, the RAM was at the top of my gut feeling suspect list. This is a friends game he just got, and was helping him out.
On a side note my (4) system 80 games have your NVRAM in them.

#4 6 years ago

A lot of system 80 MPUs had AMI branded RAM. It's notoriously unreliable. If I even suspect anything wonky going on with it, I remove it and stick it in my neoloch tester. Best case, it was the problem. Worst case, you eliminated some guesswork about an unreliable part.

#5 6 years ago

***Fixed***
I removed the AMI 5101 RAM(& memory cap), socketed it, and installed a NVRAM from another System 80 game I had. High scores and credits are now being saved after power off, and no more strange symbols for initials. All is well in the Gottlieb universe(at least for now).
Thanks guys for the push in the right direction.
Aaron

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80b-memory-loss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.