Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Having some strange issues with a Hollywood Heat, Gottlieb System 80b. The lower half of the display will come on and works great when the game is booted, but a few moments later, it seems to go out and no longer display anything until rebooted again. So I know the display seems to function, but it's as if the data stops sending shortly after the game gets going.

I found another thread that appears to describe the
exactsame issue: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80b-display-issues-on-at-bootup-then-off

There was no resolution posted, and the last comments indicated maybe the display boards got sent out for repair. I reached out to see if anyone involved knows the solution, but have not heard back.

Anyone have suggestions on what I can try? I don't have another 80b game handy to swap displays with, sadly.

#2 4 years ago

Quite often anything that comes on - heats up and goes off is either a bad wire connection or dry solder joints. Check the basics first. Make sure the cables on the header connectors are making good contact or re-pin them and check all header pin solder joints (just reflow them anyway)

#3 4 years ago

I think most of the connectors on the 80B are edge connectors, so repinning the connect part is probably my step there. It's definitely a strange issue, and part of me worries it's an MPU or chip thing, since it seems to just wink out suddenly, and ALWAYS at the exact same moment. If it changed it's pattern a little, I'd be more likely to think something lose, bad connection, etc. But the simple repetitive nature makes me wonder.

I really wish I hadn't traded my last 80B game, it would be nice to have some swap capability right now

#4 4 years ago

Adding a video for reference. Sorry about the quality/glare, did it quickly just to demonstrate the issue.

#5 4 years ago

When I look at that two things jingle in my head:

1) power issue to the display (connector - dry joints etc)
2) decoder IC chip maybe faulty

Definitely check the first one first. Use display 1 for reference measurements...

#6 4 years ago

Update:

So I noticed something strange. I decided to see if I could run the display test. If I boot up the machine, wait for it to glitch and bottom display to go out like in the video, and try to get into test mode, the bottom display stays out, so I can't do much. However, if I boot it up and quickly hit the test button, the display stays on and I can do all the tests, including the Display Test, which looks great. So that got me thinking...

If I turn the game on and hit start quickly enough to make sure the moment of the glitch doesn't happen, the Bottom display stays on and works just fine!

So it's only that moment (as shown in the video) when it says "Hollywood's Finest" and starts to try and show high scores. That's when it glitches and the display goes out. As long as I avoid that, everything is okay.

Sounds like a board/chip issue, doesn't it? Maybe RAM, since looking at high scores might access the RAM? Thoughts?

#7 4 years ago

In the video, you can see that it attempts to show the HSTD list, but sort of peters out.
I'm the fellow from that 5 year old post from vidgameseller.
I've only repaired a few of those boards.

One had a blown trace on the back that provided power.
One had a failed 10909.

I don't have a record of what I did to vidgameseller's board.

What I would try is an ink eraser on the edge connector for the display. Every connection must be making solid contact or the display won't work at all.
You can examine the pins in the female housing to ensure they still have good connectivity.

Interesting issue. I'll keep following.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#8 4 years ago

Thanks @chrishibler , I'll check the stuff you mentioned. The fact that I can get it to work just by making it avoid displaying the HSTD is very strange. I checked, and after a game ends, if I don't start another game quickly enough, it will try displaying HSTD and go out again. Whatever it is, it's tied to that moment it seems.

#9 4 years ago

So... I removed the battery and 5101E RAM, installed NVRAM. Now the game won't boot. GI and inserts coming on, but nothing else. Checked my worked, tested the soldering/traces. Not sure what happened. Is there something that needs to be done on 80b's after installing NVRAM to get them to boot?

edit: Going to do a new thread on this issue and come back to the display once I'm booting again /facepalm

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from crazi:

When I look at that two things jingle in my head:
1) power issue to the display (connector - dry joints etc)
2) decoder IC chip maybe faulty
Definitely check the first one first. Use display 1 for reference measurements...

Odd, I'm thinking of the U2 IC that drives the digits for the lower display. They are noted for getting flaky. U3 is the segment driver for both displays.

I went out and picked up a spare display board to isolate such problems since I had four System 80B machines at one time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Coalinga, CA
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80b-lower-display-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.