You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

41675BFF-3F44-41D6-B355-FD1D932729AF (resized).jpeg
Jumper 2 (resized).JPG
Jumper 1 (resized).JPG

#1 11 days ago

I'm finishing up restoring my Spring Break (check it out here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-florida-were-a-pinball-machine-aka-my-first-gottlieb/) and I'm running into a couple of odd issues.

I have gotten the machine up and running to the point of playing a game. When I start a game, as the ball is kicked into the trough, I hear a woosh/splash sound effect from the sound card that shouldn't be there. I can the launch the ball and start a game, but I notice that occasionally the flippers are generating points, and it behaves almost like there is a switch with a bouncing contact. Additionally during multiball play the music will sometimes cut out durring play, and stay off for the remainder of that ball, while the rest of the sound effects continue to play. The music starts over again on the next ball and works normally.

When I do a switch test, the only closed contacts are for the outhole (SW66), ball 1 trough (SW55), and ball 3 through (SW75). Is this likely an issue with one of the diode boards? Should I just whole sale swap all the diodes out and save some future trouble? Are the 1n270 diodes still the preferred replacement?

I did notice a odd wiring job where the #1 ball through (SW55) where it appears someone added an extra wire (blue and white in the picture) soldered onto the lug with the return #5, then spliced it in at the back of the playfield wiring harness to the return #5 wire, possibly to bypass a break somewhere? Seems odd...

Another odd issue I had is with blowing the F12 fuse under the playfield. This is for the kickers. As I was working out the kinks, if the upper kicker had to fire more than 3 or 4 times in a row, it would blow the fuse. The tag under the playfield says 1 Amp SB, but the manual says 2 Amp SB.

Jumper 1 (resized).JPGJumper 2 (resized).JPG

#2 11 days ago

I failed to mention when I removal all the balls, I get the all switches open message. The switches all test out working on the switch test.

#3 11 days ago

Just in case, I pulled all the diode boards, reflowed solder (1 suspect joint), and burnished the edge connector contacts, and put them back in a different order. Didn’t seem to make much of a difference.

I’ve done the ground mods on this, but now I’m wondering if I need to recheck to make sure all the ground connections are good.

41675BFF-3F44-41D6-B355-FD1D932729AF (resized).jpeg
#4 11 days ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-understanding-this-switch-matrix-

Check out what happened to me. Switch was shorted and once the leaf wasn’t shorted to ground all was well. I would touch up that diode though while you have it out.

#5 11 days ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Check out what happened to me. Switch was shorted and once the leaf wasn’t shorted to ground all was well. I would touch up that diode though while you have it out.

Thank you! I’ll read this in the morning.

#6 10 days ago
Quoted from Bax1:

I read through your post. Unfortunately, none of my switches are stuck like yours were, and I get the all open switches message in test.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside