7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

UPDATE: Not sure how to delete a post as all is working. I couldn't just set and do nothing so rechecked Z11-Z-15 and re-set all dip switches. For now at least the shoot again and match is working. One of those things must have been not quite seated properly.

OK, I thought I had my Chicago Cubs Triple Play (Gottlieb system 80B) up and functioning properly with the help of some folks here, however I noticed two features do not seem to working. They are the extra ball/shoot again and match. When shoot again/extra ball is achieved by dropping the required targets in order he game does not award an extra ball/shoot again. At the end of a game there is no match feature.

Here are observations I have made:
* The light indicating that if you shoot the ball into the hole that “Shoot Again” will be awarded lights up. When the ball is shot into the hole the shoot again light goes off, the knocker knocks, and the ball is ejected.
* The ball ejection hole works just fine.
* The Shoot Again lights in the back board and play field both function during the lamp test.
* The solenoid fries during testing.
* The dip switches all test correctly.
When all even switches are set to ON and all odd switches are set to OFF the display(55 55 55 55) this is correct per manual
When evens switches are set to OFF and odd switches are set to ON the display shows (AA AA AA AA) this is correct per the manual
When all DIPs on The display should show FF FF FF FF This is correct per a Pinside thread from 2 years age from the TECH formTitled: “Gottlieb System 80B - Dipswitch settings not working on non working DIPs”.
When all DIPS are set to OFF the display shows 00 00 00 00. This is correct per a Pinside thread from 2 years age on non working DIPs.

* I have test the switch matrix using the bookkeeping feature and all switches show open. I also test using Pintechs 64 Switch Matrix Tester. If I am using this correctly all switches were seen and registered correctly open or closed.

* Chips on the CPU that control the switch matrix (Z11-Z15) were recently replaced and still read good. I have an extra 7432 so I swapped Z15 it with the current chip with no luck.
* The game prom was recently burned to add free play. So I put the original back in case the new prom was bad, however the shoot again or match features do not work with either prom.
* Instead of a 5101 memory chip there is a NVRAM in place. This was just recently replaced as the game would not boot with the NVRAM that came with the game. This one seems to function properly. Well at least the pin boots and scores are saved.
* The MPU board is a Swemmer so the piggy back board cannot be the issue.
* I have inspected the MPU for questionable soldering under magnification and did not see anything obvious.
* I have a back-up driver board that I swapped to test and neither the back-up did not solve the problem.

FYI: all ground mods have been made, power board updated with new trim pod and pins resolver (voltages check OK). Also have a swimmer driver board and am using the ribbon cable between the MPU and driver board. When I test the back-uo driver board I used a new connector between CPU and driver board, other connectors checked and cleaned, all fuses OK, and the large cap on the bottom of the cabinet was changed, and obligatory system 80B sacrifice made during a full moon was made.

I not sure what to check or do next. I am obviously missing something. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on how to fix this?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 10.00
Electronics
NinjaCamp Mods
Electronics
$ 20.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80b-extra-ballshoot-again-and-match-not-working-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.