Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by myork82
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ts4z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 10 years ago

Great Plains Electronics makes a replacement daughterboard that mounts to two sockets. It's double-sided, so less likely to crack, and doesn't require a lot of work to take it out to inspect it.

I have one on one of my 80B games and I highly recommend it.

3 weeks later
#26 10 years ago

Check the manual and see if the flashing lights are connected to an auxiliary lamp driver board. If they are, they're not CPU controlled, and you can ignore them as far as getting the CPU running (they run independently of the CPU).

It sounds like the CPU isn't resetting. The CPU's reset signal goes to other boards (IIRC) and I would disconnet as much as you can until you can verify that the CPU is coming up. I would disconnect everything except power (especially the reset board) until the CPU is clearly booting correctly. Check voltage at the big capacitor near the power connector.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

By the way it was already replaced (not the original orange one) should both sides have voltage?

One side of the +5V bridge is connected to ground (the frame of the transformer unit). The other side is something like +12V DC. You can measure both across the bridge, or the terminals of the big cap on the transformer unit.

The 80B cap isn't orange from the factory, so just because it's not orange doesn't mean it's new. 1980s caps are bigger than 2014 caps. Replace with one that looks smaller than pictures in pinwiki.

I like the idea of bad ROMs. Try the known good CPU with known good ROMs in the wrong game (with the driver board disconnected).

Measure DC across the big cap on the CPU board near the power connector. You should get about 5V (a little less is OK). Measure AC across the same cap. You should get a near-zero, but not quite zero, reading.

#41 10 years ago

You can rotate the ground plugs. You should, even. They are all interchangeable, as per the schematics.

If you have not done anything to the ground boards, you can be assured that there are cracked solder connections. However, if you're getting a nice smooth +5V on the CPU board (measure at the big filter cap on the MPU) with just the CPU board connected, I would suspect that the grounds are not your immediate problem.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dayton, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ts4z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80b-cpu-locked-up-help-requested?tu=ts4z and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.